Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiquidSpikes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Everett, WA
Am I the only one disappointed with the "pro" line of MacBooks being offered right now?

I have bought 3 macbook pros over the last 5 years and todays offerings are truly pathetic!

No CD/DVD player?
Almost everything is non upgradable parts including ram? - Seriously?
Non GTX class Nvidia cards?
15 inch max screen?

I look at some of the PC equivalents like the Razer Blade Pro, or some of the ASUS, Dell XPS ultrabooks and the Macbook looks specs wise it was frozen in time. - What happened!

I also have a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina from work and its way slower than my 2011! I have clean installed it 3 times!

I was able to upgrade my Macbook Pro 2011, to a Samsung Evo 1TB SSD after the stock 7200rpm drive died in it and I bumped the ram to 16GB.

I was surely thinking that the Macbook Pro line would have improved over the last few years in performance and not just slimed in appearance. I really don't give a s*** about it being any thiner, it was just fine a little chunky! Just give me the speed and a future path to hardware upgrades!

The only reason I haven't switched back to a PC is because of OS X and iWork. but unfortunately the latest iWork suite sucks compared to the '09 builds and the latest OS X Yosemite is also dropping the ball.

Does Apple even care about the "Pro" users anymore? :mad:

N2bnfunn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Yes you are the only one, I have a 2014 Mac Pro, I love it... If you want a PC then only one thing to do.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I just upgraded from a 2013 MacBook Air to the late 2014 13" rMBP and I think it feels very "pro."

I can run everything and it just feels... effortless. I've noticed no slowdowns or speed issues. If you think it's slow, what apps are you running? Maybe there is a problem with the software?

As to upgradability, Apple is pretty much killing that in all their products. I agree that it isn't convenient and makes you have to buy all you think you may need up front or upgrade sooner. Probably both a business decision and it does allow for thinner and lighter. You may not care about thinner and lighter but many people do. And sorry to say, CDs and DVDs are pretty much a dying storage medium. Honestly, is it that tough to plug in a USB drive for the few times most of us ever use a DVD or CD.

Yes Razer and similar "gaming class" Windows laptops are potentially more powerful--at least graphics-wise, but they are designed as gamer laptops. If playing games is the most important thing you want to do on your laptop, then it would be a better choice, certainly. Honestly, any graphically powerful Windows-based laptop would be better since most current games were designed for Windows. Not many new games are released for Mac at the same time the Windows version is. Just the facts.

Finally, if your older Pro feels faster and you like the older OS X and iWork versions, and you use CDs and DVDs often, then... run the old stuff. No crime there. MacBook Pros usually last a lot longer than most Windows-based laptops. You should easily get another 4-5 years use out of a 2011 pro.

Just my thoughts.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
The MacBooks themselves are nice, although some of these new ones are suffering specific hardware issues. Some Retina models have been shown to be having crashing issues or something with the logic board. As for regular MacBook Pros, they are solid machines. However, the regular MBP hasn't been updated in a while.

I don't like when the optical drives are complained about... let's face it, optical drivers in Macs have never been reliable. (that goes for most computers, in fact). Not only that, but they are very clunky and not as necessary today. I don't mean to be that kind of person who nods-off anything that is "obsolete", but the kind of person who still finds uses for disc drives isn't someone who would be fiddling with a brand new computer like that. For example, I use discs to install the OS on an old computer (if I cannot use a flash drive), or pop a service diagnostics disc into some old computer that needs a fan calibration. DVD/CDs are old technology, therefore they normally get used with old technology. Think about how stupid it seems, today, that people were complaining about Apple getting rid of floppy drives in the late 1990s.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
1. Optical storage is dead. It's disappearing from more and more laptops, but if you really want a CD/DVD drive you can buy an external one.

2. Making hardware non upgradeable isn't an issue for me. It removes a point of failure (sockets) and makes poking around the insides unnecessary. If needed sell your old MacBook every couple of years, they hold their resale value quite well compared to Windows machines. My 2010 MBP wasn't going to be that quick no matter how much memory I put in it.

3. If it's a gamers laptop you're after there are plenty of uber powerful Windows based laptops that would be better suited than a MacBook Pro. For me laptops are all about battery life and portability. The basic Iris Pro GPU is powerful enough for pretty much all day to day computing and won't drain the battery dry like high horsepower GPU.

4. 15" screen, again portability and battery life. You can always hook up one or two external monitors if needed.

I'm using a 15" rMBP and it's awesome, plenty fast, incredible battery life, 4.4lbs and runs Windows when required.

Reactions: 3349793

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I just got a rMBP this year and it works pretty well. i've had no problems with the speed or functionality. I haven't needed or used an optical drive since before 2008. I removed it from my 2011 MBP in lieu of a second hard drive almost right away. Unfortunately it succumbed to Radeongate earlier this year. :(

I like the new screen, but I'm not happy with only the SSD. However, I changed how I work by keeping most of my data on external drives which makes backups easier for me.

It's all in how you look at it. :cool:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
the rMBP feels very rock-solid and like an iPad. Conventional laptops have spinning hard disk drives and some other crunchy jazz. The new MacBook Pro's are just a solid brick which can be tossed around and whatnot, just like an iPad. They are also quite light.
I hate the spinning hard disk. They are so noisy and somewhat fragile. I don't feel comfortable swinging around a computer with a delicate precision device inside. The Sudden Motion Sensor annoys me because it feels every move and tap.

It was good that they dumped the optical disk drive. I almost never use the disk drive in my MBP. All it does is take up space and make an annoying noise at boot. Apple couldn't make their rock-solid MacBook Pro's with a crunchy optical drive. As for RAM, well how often do you replace RAM? Just buy a 16GB model (the base model nowadays ;) ) and that will last you a really long time. It will be plenty for all future OS's the system supports.

----------

The MacBooks themselves are nice, although some of these new ones are suffering specific hardware issues. Some Retina models have been shown to be having crashing issues or something with the logic board. As for regular MacBook Pros, they are solid machines. However, the regular MBP hasn't been updated in a while.

I think you are describing the 2011 MacBook Pro's with their Radeongate. They have faulty dGPU's.

The "regular" MacBook Pro's are the retina MacBook Pro's. What you are describing are the old MacBook Pro's. Of course they have not been updated in a while! They are an old version and have already been "updated" by the new retina MacBook Pro's. Why would you update something that has already been updated?

Reactions: 3349793

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I think you are describing the 2011 MacBook Pro's with their Radeongate. They have faulty dGPU's.
To me this is the start of my disappointment with Apple. I've been using them steadily since the 1980s without a fault until this year when my 2011 succumbed to Radeongate. Now I buy Applecare. :confused:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
To me this is the start of my disappointment with Apple. I've been using them steadily since the 1980s without a fault until this year when my 2011 succumbed to Radeongate. Now I buy Applecare. :confused:

There's always a bad apple every once in a while. You were just lucky enough to avoid those models for most of the time. The 700MHz G3 iBooks had bad GPU soldering too. I have one.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
There's always a bad apple every once in a while. You were just lucky enough to avoid those models for most of the time. The 700MHz G3 iBooks had bad GPU soldering too. I have one.
Was that the 'clamshell'? Wow, I thought those were ugly! :eek:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Was that the 'clamshell'? Wow, I thought those were ugly! :eek:

No that was the snow white one. It looks like this:

Downloaded_File.jpg

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere

You've been using Macs since the 1980s and you've only had a single one with a significant fault?

I'd say you're pretty much ahead of the game there. Even in my limited history I've had far more problems than that, although fewer than the countless ThinkPads I've owned.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
You've been using Macs since the 1980s and you've only had a single one with a significant fault?

I'd say you're pretty much ahead of the game there. Even in my limited history I've had far more problems than that, although fewer than the countless ThinkPads I've owned.
Yeah, I guess I was lucky. I used to think Applecare was a waste of money and laughed at people that purchased it. Not anymore.

I had a few bad Thinkpads (3/3), they were all work machines and all needed service. Good thing I worked for IBM! LOL

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I fully agree with the OP. I also would like to add my own list of issues I have with these newer models:

- its way too light and way too mobile, now I have to go to my bosses office with my laptop anytime I need to show him something, not the other way around. Also, because of the weight you can't really hit the students with it anymore

- the text rendering is too good, now I am forced to read much more academic papers then I used to, this is truly awful

- the battery lasts way too long: the usual excuses do not cut it anymore and I have to work while traveling

- the laptop is simply too fast, can't read comics when running data mining anymore, finishes too quickly

- it is way too reliable, haven't had a much needed holiday because of hardware failure in a while

In addition, I also want to complain about Apple's ridiculous treatment of connectivity features. I had to throw away my perfectly functional PS/2 mouse and keyboard because Apple suddenly dropped this useful feature. Also, I cannot use my serial port printer anymore. And I still have my collection of Zip-Drives which became totally useless thanks to Apple's shameless business practices.

I am so disappointed that I will never buy another Apple product again. I am moving back to DOS, that is the system that never disappointed me.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Leman a perfect response

OP you are one of very few people who have an issue with the retina macbook pros.

I love mine it is easily the best computer I have ever owned and runs rings around most things.

If you are a gamer buy a gaming laptop, other than that the rMBP can't be beat in my opinion.

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

*** I do not want to start up that age old "what is pro" conversation again, please ***

Many many many of us on here are actually professionals, teachers, engineers, designers etc... that make a living with their MBP - with great confidence and competence. If you fancy yourself a professional gamer, then maybe a MBP isn't for you.

wirewick

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
The performance of the new retinas is good, but it is disappointing that they are designed for thinness rather than overall performance (cooling, battery life, disc drive). Seems more prosumer than pro. Maybe by pro they mean you will need to have it professionally serviced when you want to change out the hard drive or ram.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The only reason I haven't switched back to a PC is because of OS X and iWork. but unfortunately the latest iWork suite sucks compared to the '09 builds and the latest OS X Yosemite is also dropping the ball.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone (much less a "Pro" user) ever list "iWork" as a reason that they stick around on Macs. :eek:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
not quite sure where the thread starter shops but there aren't many laptops/notebooks that have cd-roms.
I recently purchased two laptops.
Lenovo4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
15.6'' UHD LED Glossy (3840x2160)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
Memory 16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Drive 512GB SSD
3 yera on site
Price $1600

MBP i7 (2.50GHz)
15 retina
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750M 2GB
Memory 16.0GB
Hard Drive 512GB SSD
apple care NOT on site support
$2600

The Lenovo runs circles around the MBP for a $1000 less and next day on site repairs for 3 years. Not depot or lug to the nearest apple store.

I bought the MBP for me because it's a nice looking machine and I didnt need a gaming machine.
The lenovo went to my son's girl friend. It's not as slim as the MBP but is a nice looking machine, and has absolutely beautiful display and is noticably faster.

Both have 16GB which seems to be the max for a consumer laptop.
Storage - cmon really? there are so many interchangable storage and cloud options now. many get by on 128GB ssds
The video card selection for macs always seems to be a generation or two behind the PC world.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I have the same complaints as the OP. I definitely would never buy a Retina. I need an internal optical drive and really dislike the idea that I can't change the battery myself.

My 2011 non Retina is not bad, but I wouldn't get one again and am thinking of selling it.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I have the same complaints as the OP. I definitely would never buy a Retina. I need an internal optical drive and really dislike the idea that I can't change the battery myself.

My 2011 non Retina is not bad, but I wouldn't get one again and am thinking of selling it.

Are batteries on the MBP as problematic as PC laptops.
I have nver had a dell battery last beyond 18 months, never

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I'm very happy with my rMBP overall, its OS X that's becoming a concern for me. ISO7 amongst other things drove me away from the iPhone, though I still have an iPad. Quite liked Yosemite at first but now its flatter, more colourful appearance is starting to get on my nerves :( Dark Mode is half baked and Safari makes me want to run away.

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
If you really need a "pro" machine, get a mac pro, MacBooks are marketed to consumers....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.