Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
This was announced way back in June-27, "Apple Kills Aperture, Says New ‘Photos’ App Will Replace It".
I've not heard anything since then.....NDA keeping loose lips sealed shut or ??
2015 is 6 weeks ahead......
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/apple-kills-aperture/
“With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture,” Apple said in a statement to The Loop. “When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS.”

The new Photos app, which will debut with OS X Yosemite when it launches this fall, will also replace iPhoto. It promises to be more intuitive and user friendly, but as such, likely not as full featured as what Aperture currently offers.

Apparently the development of Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, two of Apple’s other professional app offerings, will continue as normal. But with Apple’s push towards making the Mac easier to use for the average user, and for new users arriving after using iPhones and iPads, you have to wonder if these pro products, too, have a limited lifespan. With all the optimizations for Final Cut Pro currently in OS X and the beefy capabilities of the Mac Pro, I’d imagine those apps have a long shelf life yet.

Apple’s decision to kill off Aperture will likely frustrate many users who’ve relied on the software for years. But between the new Photos app (for casual users) and more robust third-party options like Adobe’s enormously popular Lightroom, photo editors should still have plenty of tools at their disposal.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
No news that I have been able to find. I have been doing searches for articles in the last month, hitting up the usual suspects, and even tried to find an 'enthusiast' employee at the local Apple store who might have some beta info.

No luck for me.

I guess we wait and see when Lightroom, Capture 1, and DXO have some big sale, and we know when. How big the sale is tells us how good Photos will be.

If it is going to import Aperture and the non-destructive edits, though, it has to be at least a capable in that regard (in theory).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Whatever it turns out to be, it's very poor PR to leave people wondering. Especially those who, like me, make (some of) their living from photography...

I think hey've made it clear by now that if you're making money you should be looking at other solutions at this point.

I've moved on to Lightroom professionally but I'm still holding out hope that 'Photos' will be a better solution for my family photos. I'm leaving those alone in Aperture until I know more. I'm insanely curious as well, but only as a home consumer, not as a professional.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I was really confused when Yosemite came out. I somehow gathered the impression that it would launch bundled with Yosemite.

Not sure where you heard that. They said at the keynote that Photos would not come out until next year and Yosemite would be in the fall. That said, a little update would be nice.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
Apple letting you know anything at all. That's like asking Congress to accomplish something.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Apple themselves said that there would be compatibility updates for iPhoto and Aperture but the new Photos app wouldn't arrive until 2015.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I just logged onto MacRumors today just to see if there was any news on Photo. Since the announcement, I've been holding off on doing a whole lot of work in Aperture with my recent pictures. Would be nice to hear something soon.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Looks like Photos in Windows 10 may beat Photos in OS X to the gate.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-10-photos-vs-apple-photos,review-2605.html

Even Windows 8 does some stuff with photos that OS X can't. Geez.

What does Windows 8 do that OS X can't? And we know even less about Windows Photos than the Apple Photos right now. If it is just auto-enhance and only supports .jpg, it sure won't be popular around here. I doubt that is the case, but with what we heard from Microsoft, that is a POSSIBLE outcome.

At least Apple mentioned filetypes, extensions, and manual control.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I bet the photos app comes out at either WWDC or the NA Broadcasters Conference (can't find the exact name). They've released video related products there before. Makes the most sense, since it doesn't warrant a special event on its own.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I bet the photos app comes out at either WWDC or the NA Broadcasters Conference (can't find the exact name). They've released video related products there before. Makes the most sense, since it doesn't warrant a special event on its own.

Neither of those would be early 2015. WWDC is June and I think NAB is August.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple's focus is on Apple Watch right now. I wouldn't expect to hear anything about Photos until after that. This is the main reason I don't let Apple handle my photos. You never know what they are doing. I leave this kind of stuff to the people who make it their bread and butter.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
Apple's focus is on Apple Watch right now. I wouldn't expect to hear anything about Photos until after that. This is the main reason I don't let Apple handle my photos. You never know what they are doing. I leave this kind of stuff to the people who make it their bread and butter.

Ditto!

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
I came on here looking as well since I wanted to clean up my aperture library but I was holding off for the new app. I guess it is not happening any time soon.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
From the screen shots that I've seen (from its announcement) all the pieces are there for a very capable app. It certainly looks to have all the adjustments people would expect as well as some innovative adjustments that correlate together like "Light" and "Color". I believe there was a commitment from Apple shortly after its announcement that it would provide plugin support as well.

It could drop anytime between now and April I expect. It's unlikely affected by Apple's watch or anything else since the team working on this is probably unable to contribute much to other projects. The fact is, the longer it takes, the more capable it's likely to be at introduction so be careful what you wish for. A release tomorrow won't be as good as one two months from now. And, for me, Aperture and NIK still work as well as they always have. I understand the challenge for new folks, but veterans just need to be patient.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 195

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
From the screen shots that I've seen (from its announcement) all the pieces are there for a very capable app. It certainly looks to have all the adjustments people would expect as well as some innovative adjustments that correlate together like "Light" and "Color". I believe there was a commitment from Apple shortly after its announcement that it would provide plugin support as well.

It could drop anytime between now and April I expect. It's unlikely affected by Apple's watch or anything else since the team working on this is probably unable to contribute much to other projects. The fact is, the longer it takes, the more capable it's likely to be at introduction so be careful what you wish for. A release tomorrow won't be as good as one two months from now. And, for me, Aperture and NIK still work as well as they always have. I understand the challenge for new folks, but veterans just need to be patient.

I wouldn't count on that. Apple famously delayed releasing Leopard to get the iPhone out the door. I am always amazed to hear they've pulled developers off some project to go focus on another one. You would think apple has a large enough staff to dedicate people to different project, but historically that hasn't been the case.

I've switched to Lightroom because I decided that I just can't have 3+ more months of uncertainty as to what I'm going to be doing with my photos from now on. I honestly love Aperture. It's a fanatic application, very capable, decent looking, and it performs well. I love that it uses all of Apples core OS technologies, so it makes great use of the hardware.

But that stuff and hopes and dreams about what Photos could be don't get my images edited and don't give me lens correction. That's one of the biggest things I'm stunned about with Lightroom. I never realized how bad the distortion was on my lenses, and also how much light I was losing due to vignetting. I can assure you lens correction will not be something that is a part of photos - it will be a consumer based app that is focused on iPhones and casual photographers (I do know that Photokit has some lens correction built in, but you're already using it on Yosemite with Aperture - that's why an update was needed. It's basically an all or nothing way to honor the manufacturer's lens correction profile they may have attached to the RAW file, unfortunately for me Sony doesn't do this).

The way I see it is Apple is silently nudging pros and enthusiasts to Lightroom. They've been mum on details about the new app, and if they were serious about holding on those people, they'd give details. All we have right now is that screenshot you posted, which is a rough idea of what some of the controls might be. The other thing though is they have Lightroom loaded on the Retina iMac's in the video introducing the machine. Again, they're basically saying if you're buying these machines for photography, you may want to give Lightroom a try.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
What does Windows 8 do that OS X can't? And we know even less about Windows Photos than the Apple Photos right now. If it is just auto-enhance and only supports .jpg, it sure won't be popular around here. I doubt that is the case, but with what we heard from Microsoft, that is a POSSIBLE outcome.

At least Apple mentioned filetypes, extensions, and manual control.

In regular old Windows Explorer you can see more of the photo metadata than you can in the Finder. And sort on it. And add things like subject. Or remove metadata. And the preview is bigger without having to use quicklook. It amazes me that Apple hasn't done anything to make at least part of the Finder more amenable to sorting, rating, and so on. Maybe with Photos. But then again the Finder lags in many ways. Sheesh, the default viewer, Preview, doesn't even work like a proper retina viewer should.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Adding Apple Watch to their portfolio of things they need to develop for, I can say it's obvious is not going to care much for photographers. Heck, they went from 2 photo apps down to 1. They may just setup the initial framework and controls, and let the plug in people handle the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.