Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
hi

has any one ever own a Refurbished ipad 4 with Cellular form AT&T if so how do you like the Refurbished ipad 4 i can Order one from apple web site for $399 and get iPad Smart Case for it for $49 wish would make my Order Total at $486.84 wish i find a vary vary good deal with out breaking the bank at the time am planing on useing this ipad a lot when am at home and out and about so i will find LTE vary use full with this tablet

note am skiping the ipad air and air 2 i love the look and feel of the old ipads

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've bought refurb iPads and iPods from Apple Store and the only difference compared to brand new was the packaging. One thing to consider, be sure that you'll be happy with AT&T as carrier. Unlike newer iPads, the 4th gen iPads don't use a universal model so you're pretty much stuck with either AT&T (LTE) or T-Mobile (2G at worst, HSPA at best).

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Buy a refurbished unit from Apple instead. My nephew purchased a refurbished unit from AT&T and the 1 year apple warranty was expired and there was nothing he could do other then get a refund and pay a restocking fee. When Apple refurbishes their iPads and iPhones they assign new imei and serial numbers and the warranty resets. AT&T does not assign new imei's or serial numbers after they refurbish it so the 1 year warranty remains from the original date of purchase before it was refurbished.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Buy a refurbished unit from Apple instead. My nephew purchased a refurbished unit from AT&T and the 1 year apple warranty was expired and there was nothing he could do other then get a refund and pay a restocking fee. When Apple refurbishes their iPads and iPhones they assign new imei and serial numbers and the warranty resets. AT&T does not assign new imei's or serial numbers after they refurbish it so the 1 year warranty remains from the original date of purchase before it was refurbished.

+1 - Buy it from Apple.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad4gen/wi_fi_cellular

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
hi guys

thats what am planing on doing getting it from the apple web site not from AT&T

i updated the top too have it say from apple and not from AT&T

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
hi guys

thats what am planing on doing getting it from the apple web site not from AT&T

i updated the top too have it say from apple and not from AT&T

You'll be fine. I bought my wife an iPad 4 refurb from apple and it's been perfect. Just like new, only cheaper. :)

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I've bought refurb iPads and iPods from Apple Store and the only difference compared to brand new was the packaging. One thing to consider, be sure that you'll be happy with AT&T as carrier. Unlike newer iPads, the 4th gen iPads don't use a universal model so you're pretty much stuck with either AT&T (LTE) or T-Mobile (2G at worst, HSPA at best).

i will be useing AT&T full time i all ready have a AT&T nokia 635 from there there LTE is the best right now for up in this area

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
ok next thing how well dos it run IOS 8.1.1 on it?
Mine's on iOS 8.1 (just haven't gotten around to updating to 8.1.1) but for Mail, Safari, etc, it works just as well as the iPad Air. I haven't noticed any performance slowdowns compared to iOS 7. Granted, I do have Reduce Motion enabled in Accessibility settings. There may be differences if you're into heavy gaming or running some CPU intensive apps but those aren't part of my daily usage.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Mine's on iOS 8.1 (just haven't gotten around to updating to 8.1.1) but for Mail, Safari, etc, it works just as well as the iPad Air. I haven't noticed any performance slowdowns compared to iOS 7. Granted, I do have Reduce Motion enabled in Accessibility settings. There may be differences if you're into heavy gaming or running some CPU intensive apps but those aren't part of my daily usage.

thanks one more ? for you the 64 bit ipad air and air 2 seem like they like too reboot a lot have you have any reboot issue on your ipad 4 has it is a 32 bit it seem like 32 bit dos better then 64 bit

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
thanks one more ? for you the 64 bit ipad air and air 2 seem like they like too reboot a lot have you have any reboot issue on your ipad 4 has it is a 32 bit it seem like 32 bit dos better then 64 bit
I haven't encountered frequent reboot issues on the Air since the iOS 7.1 update. I waited for iOS 7.1 release before upgrading my iPad 4 from iOS 6 so I've never experienced frequent reboots on the iPad 4.

I don't have an iPad Air 2 at the moment. I don't think I'll be buying one this year as my discretionary spending funds went to a Disney/Universal vacation.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I haven't encountered frequent reboot issues on the Air since the iOS 7.1 update. I waited for iOS 7.1 release before upgrading my iPad 4 from iOS 6 so I've never experienced frequent reboots on the iPad 4.

I don't have an iPad Air 2 at the moment. I don't think I'll be buying one this year as my discretionary spending funds went to a Disney/Universal vacation.

what am going too do is am going too get the ipad air 2 LTE at AT&T some time next week has it looks like i will have a little more $ then i was 1st thinking the ipad air 2 will be better and i dont have too wait a round for shipping of the ipad 4

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
And is it true that those AT&T refurb models from the Apple site also work with Verizon SIM cards? Just curious if anyone here has bought the refurb AT&T version and tried it to be 100% sure. Thanks!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And is it true that those AT&T refurb models from the Apple site also work with Verizon SIM cards? Just curious if anyone here has bought the refurb AT&T version and tried it to be 100% sure. Thanks!
iPad 4th gen, original iPad mini and earlier, definitely not. Air and Mini 2 yes, but they don't exactly play nice. If you already have a working, activated Verizon Nano SIM, it'll work. Otherwise, prepare for some grief activating a brand new Verizon SIM and service on a non-AT&T iPad. Thankfully, we seem to be beyond that starting with the Air 2 and Mini 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.