Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Thinking of installing a 6TB into a 2012 iMac with Fusion Drive.

Anyone tried this already?

I'm also open to 8TB & 10TB Hard Drives if they become available.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I have not tried replacing the HDD with a larger HDD, but I have replaced a HDD with an SSD. What is it that you would like to know regarding the process? It is definitely possible if that is what you are asking.

Reactions: DoNoHarm

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I have not tried replacing the HDD with a larger HDD, but I have replaced a HDD with an SSD. What is it that you would like to know regarding the process? It is definitely possible if that is what you are asking.

Yes, basically my question is whether there is anything inherent in the 3tb size for the spinner that makes it less efficient or somehow not possible with the fusion drive system.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
Yes, basically my question is whether there is anything inherent in the 3tb size for the spinner that makes it less efficient or somehow not possible with the fusion drive system.
You can use the Fusion Drive in any way you want basically. Whether it is with a 1TB HDD and 500GB SSD or 8TB HDD and 128GB SSD doesn't matter. As long as the Fusion Drive is un-fused before the new hardware is added and then re-fused afterwards. Then the software will figure out the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.