Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WALTR is a new Mac app from Softorino that's designed to make it easy to upload and convert any music or video file to an iPad or iPhone format for native playback.

It supports a huge variety of media file types, including MP3, MP4, AVI, CUE, WMA, M4R, AAC, M4V, M4A, FLAC, ALAC, MKV, and more. It even supports file types that are not normally compatible with iOS, including MKV, AVI, FLAC, and CUE, allowing them to be played in the native Music and Movie apps on iOS.

Using WALTR is simple. After closing iTunes, a user just needs to plug an iPhone or iPad into a Mac and open the WALTR app. The iOS device and its available storage space is listed at the top of the app, and files can be dragged to the blank space in the app for immediate transfer to the iOS device.

Uploads begin as soon as a file is dragged into the WALTR app, and most uploads are very quick, taking a few seconds. The app has been experiencing some issues uploading certain file types like AVIs, but the developers are working to fix any remaining bugs.

waltrupload.jpg
Once a file has been transferred to the iPhone or iPad, it is accessible in either the native Movies or Music app on the iOS device, and overall, the WALTR process is simpler than converting via a separate app and then uploading through iTunes.

waltermovies.jpg
WALTR for Mac can be purchased from Softorino for the discounted price of $14.97, and a free trial is also available so users can give the software a try.

Update: The codes that MacRumors had available are now gone, but a free trial of the software is still available from Softorino.

Article Link: 'WALTR' for Mac Lets Users Upload Any Media File to an iOS Device for Native Playback

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Cheesy video, but I'll give the free trial a shot. May not need HandBrake queues anymore. :D

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
MacRumors has been provided 25 promo codes to give out on a first come, first serve basis.

3 minutes later:
Update: The codes that MacRumors had available are now gone, but a free trial of the software is still available from Softorino.

Well, that was quick.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
they really shouldn't have used a russian for this ad i almost laughed when he finished saying his first lines

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I've just sent out all of the promo codes to those of you who emailed me first. I had close to 200 emails, so they went pretty fast!

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
So since it doesn't actually transcode the files into a format native to Movies/Music apps on iOS (which would take a time measured in hours in many cases when using Handbrake), what black magic exactly is employed to make the files compatible and playable?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Sounds good, but quite expensive. Without this app, it does suck that in most cases, you pretty much can't just take a video from your computer and put it on your iPhone without either having to convert for hours, and then sync with the cable. And even like that it sometimes refuses to work in some formats. Kind of extremely stupid.

illjazz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Sounds good, but quite expensive. Without this app, it does suck that in most cases, you pretty much can't just take a video from your computer and put it on your iPhone without either having to convert for hours, and then sync with the cable. And even like that it sometimes refuses to work in some formats. Kind of extremely stupid.

Considering all the downsides you listed, wouldn't you say WALTR might be worth the asking price if it "just works"... and does so quickly?

I use Plex and its Sync feature to accomplish this, but that method also involves a time-consuming transcoding process. There is an advantage, though: transcoded files are far smaller than the original.

Since WALTR doesn't seem to be doing any transcoding of its own I'm assuming the output file size will be very close to the input file size. So if you drop a 10GB 1080p movie onto WALTR, your iPhone will be roughly 10GB fuller once the transfer is done. Something to keep in mind.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

I have this handy app on my iPad.
It's called VLC Media Player.
It was discontinued, but I found that I can still push it to other iOS devices via iTunes. See if any of your friends have it.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I don't understand
A) How it does the syncing to the device. I thought for apps to send data to Videos/Music it had to go trough iTunes
B) How the Videos/Music apps just play these files. Surely, if Apple doesn't allow the files to just be transferred normally with iTunes, they''ve not made their apps able to play them. These file types aren't officially supported by the OS, and since WALTR doesn't transcode... What the hell is going on?!

aggiesrwe03

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
TEXAS
I have this handy app on my iPad.
It's called VLC Media Player.
It was discontinued, but I found that I can still push it to other iOS devices via iTunes. See if any of your friends have it.

I had it many moons ago but lost the .IPA l, so it's nothing more than a memory

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
According to their site it still converts them to an iOS playable format. The main difference is that it also puts the converted file in the proper place so that iOS recognizes it as a song or video file, no iTunes needed.

Source: Softorino

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.