Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs movie being in the casting process and moving towards full fledged production, Sony Pictures has dropped the movie and put it "in turnaround", which allows another large studio to purchase the movie and take over, reports Deadline. The report also notes that Universal Studios is the likely landing destination for the film.

sony_pictures_logo.jpg
In a shocking development, the Aaron Sorkin-scripted film about Apple genius Steve Jobs has been put in turnaround by Sony Pictures, and Universal Pictures is making a strong play for the movie. The film, an adaptation of the bestselling Walter Isaacson biography, has Slumdog Millionaire's Danny Boyle set to direct, with Michael Fassbender recently courted to play Jobs. The film is produced by Scott Rudin, Christian Colson, Mark Gordon and Guymon Casady.
It's unknown why Sony Pictures, who has been developing the movie for two years, would drop the film as it is about to wrap up casting and enter production, but Deadline reports that Universal Studios is keen on picking up the movie and may do so by tomorrow. It is rare for a well-known project to be dropped by a studio and made available for rival studios to purchase.

As reported by Deadline, the film is unlikely to lose any momentum if it's picked up by Universal Studios, which suggests the movie will likely move forward with the filmmakers' current plans.

Recently, Christian Bale also dropped out of the film because he reportedly felt he was not right for the part. X-Men: First Class actor Michael Fassbender has been rumored to be the frontrunner for the role with Sorkin saying that casting announcements are imminent.

Update: According to The Hollywood Reporter, one reason Sony might've dropped the film was due to the shooting schedule. Director Danny Boyle wants to shoot in January 2015, when Michael Fassbender would be available, while Sony wanted to shoot later. A later date would be difficult for Fassbender as the actor has a commitment to shoot X-Men: Apocalypse in Spring 2015.

Article Link: Sony Drops Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs Movie, Universal May Take Over [Updated]

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Could be because a bad script. and the studio want to cut the losses.

Maybe, but more likely it's a combination of factors we don't/won't know about, and Sony being reluctant to go forward without a major star playing Jobs.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
They should include the release of maps, iCloud, and iTunes Radio as the three segments instead. Would fit in nicely with how this is turning out.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Could Sorkin's recent media appearances have been an attempt to raise the profile of the movie to compensate for Bale bailing and and or a nervous Sony?

Could Sony have been nervous that without Bale and any other leads that turned down the part walking away that there was a risk of a clunker in the making on their dime?

Could Sony be trying to cut their losses and by shopping it recover what has already been sunk into it?

I wonder if this film will recover momentum, or be shelved and written off...

----------

I guess some people just lost their Jobs.

:cool:

Wonder if the decision was made in an elevator! (Rim shot)

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
They need to hire back David Fincher. This movie has "Fincher" written all over it, not Danny Boyle. Fincher is Hollywood's biggest Apple fanboy! There's no one else who was born to direct this movie than Fincher himself.

Oh, and get Stanley Tucci. That guy has talent.

MNJohn

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014
I'm tired of hearing about Steve Jobs

By all accounts I have read, Jobs was not a very nice person on a personal level. I, for one, am pretty much done with the all the hero worship surrounding him. He built people friendly computers and developed an iPhone, great. How did he treat his family?

I would rather the production companies focus their resources on someone whose life impacted the both world, and people, in a positive way. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
The biography itself by Isaacson was subpar, so maybe the script is too and that's why Bale and Sony have both washed their hands of this thing? Just seems to me this film is a failure waiting to happen.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I see this as either Sony is having serious money issues or production is having more issues than they're leading on.

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
The biography itself by Isaacson was subpar, so maybe the script is too and that's why Bale and Sony have both washed their hands of this thing? Just seems to me this film is a failure waiting to happen.

Sorkin would never let the studios read a bad script. But hell, Sorkin would never write a bad script.

This is all Sony's fault. They should have given into Fincher's demands, even if they were ridiculous. He was meant to direct this movie.

applewatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
NorCal
I see this as either Sony is having serious money issues or production is having more issues than they're leading on.

It's most likely Sony has lost faith in the project because of all this stalling.

Hell, they're still in pre-production, so production hasn't even started.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It's most likely Sony has lost faith in the project because of all this stalling.

Hell, they're still in pre-production, so production hasn't even started.

Well production can't start if there is no lead...

Having been a Sony Pictures employee... the writing is on the wall that this studio is floundering. I expect them to drop Spider-man next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.