Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
DisplayMate has put to the test the color accuracy pitting some of the top displays. And no surprise here AMOLED runs off with the best (Note 4)

I think we can now put to rest (forever?) the endless diatribe from detractors that amoled display suffers from inaccurate color. Couple with infinite contrast and excellent viewing angle, high brightness and now color accuracy, Samsung AMOLED is indeed the indisputable best display.

Displaymate Color Accuracy Shootout Overall.PNG

http://www.displaymate.com/Color_Accuracy_ShootOut_1.htm

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yup, clearly a great display. Too bad one is forced to use it to look at Touchwiz. ;)

And yes, I understand many have no problems with Touchwiz. I personally find it aesthetically pretty damn ugly.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Hopefully that gets changed with this lollipop update I've seen some videos and the dialer is no longer horrible. Thank the lord!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yup, clearly a great display. Too bad one is forced to use it to look at Touchwiz. ;)

And yes, I understand many have no problems with Touchwiz. I personally find it aesthetically pretty damn ugly.

It's what you make it. I agree the default/out of the box TW set up looks horrible. But the freedom of customization fixes that quickly.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I personally don't use touchwiz I use nova but touchwiz is too restrictive in s few ways. Obviously not as restrictive as ios where you can't do anything to it.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm really having a good experience with the Note 4, floating windows multitasking with minimizing (way better than split screen IMO), qHD screen despite diamond subpixel arrangement, Email much better than my Note 4, and Touchwiz! Save for a few quirks I like Touchwiz.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Eh all this I keep reading about the hardware for the note 4 just keeps telling me it's the best phone out there for that, but then I think back to the note 3 I had, the software, the UI, and I shudder. Don't think I can do that again.

Either I settle with an iphone AGAIN and deal with tab reloading but get a great screen and battery life, or I deal with a meh screen on the nexus 6 and meh battery life.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Eh all this I keep reading about the hardware for the note 4 just keeps telling me it's the best phone out there for that, but then I think back to the note 3 I had, the software, the UI, and I shudder. Don't think I can do that again.

Either I settle with an iphone AGAIN and deal with tab reloading but get a great screen and battery life, or I deal with a meh screen on the nexus 6 and meh battery life.
The Nexus 6 seems to improved on two areas where previous Nexi lacked, camera and battery life. It doesn't seem Nexus 6 is short on batt life this time around which is like a first for its line. Biggest turnoff is probably just the size.

mib1800

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Well this will have a few people pumping their fists in the air and shouting 'winner' I am sure. Congratulations to those with the best screen. :)
Instead of this I think what's more important is that it puts a stop to those incessant inaccurate posts about amoled.

Personally I don't really care about color accuracy. I like my screen vivid and saturated.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Instead of this I think what's more important is that it puts a stop to those incessant inaccurate posts about amoled.

Personally I don't really care about color accuracy. I like my screen vivid and saturated.
To be honest I think the implementation of a setting that allows the user to turn the 'vivid and over saturated' screen down to nicer levels means the criticisms of AMOLED will start to disappear. My criticism of it was always the over saturation and unfortunately when I had an S3 this couldn't be corrected. Now it can and I am sure the S5 and Note 4 deserves this accolade, whether it is largely irrelevant to most people or not.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Winner is never in specs, it's in sales. Look at Camry.

The winner will always be in something we think our favourite can win #

We won't know how much the plus sells add Apple don't release sales for individual models. However we know that the 6 is vastly outselling the plus. I'd imagine that there isn't much between the note and the plus in terms of sales.

----------

To be honest I think the implementation of a setting that allows the user to turn the 'vivid and over saturated' screen down to nicer levels means the criticisms of AMOLED will start to disappear. My criticism of it was always the over saturation and unfortunately when I had an S3 this couldn't be corrected. Now it can and I am sure the S5 and Note 4 deserves this accolade, whether it is largely irrelevant to most people or not.

I think it just comes down to preference really. I think some people will never like amoled displays even with the settings turned down . Some line colours to pop whilst others just prefer the more natural/dull colours of lcd displays.

mib1800

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I think only Galaxy phones give you the option to set screen mode which is a really great function. I think with this amoled has already surpassed lcd in terms of display quality. The 3 complaints about amoled - brightness, resolution and color accuracy have been mostly addressed.

With the bendable amoled display in the pipeline it will be very exciting to see what Samsung will bring out next. Will apple use something different or will just be the same run of the mill LCD screen?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It's what you make it. I agree the default/out of the box TW set up looks horrible. But the freedom of customization fixes that quickly.

Unfortunately, not enough. Reskining the home screens is a start but it doesn't change the underlying layers of TouchWiz.

I personally don't use touchwiz I use nova but touchwiz is too restrictive in s few ways. Obviously not as restrictive as ios where you can't do anything to it.

Wasn't comparing to iOS (why does everything always turn into an Android vs iOS grudge match, even when no mention of one or the other is made? :confused:)

I picked up a used Nexus 7 for the better half to use predominantly as an ereader but because the Nook app hasn't been updated for lollipop yet, I've been using it to explore 5.0 and I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed. IMO, lollipop is a huge improvement in design over the Holo style we've had for the past few years and light years ahead of anything offered by Samsung. Really good job by Google with this update.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I still like my Note 3. It's very beautiful to use just too big for a phone. I considered the Note 4 but it's a lot of money to spend on a media, flash, etc player. Of course I've also got my Note 3 with a custom ROM...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Impressive

Phone is still too big for me :p

Looks like samsung nailed it, likely best overall android phone too.
This is coming from a stock android master race guy too. ;)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The Nexus 6 seems to improved on two areas where previous Nexi lacked, camera and battery life. It doesn't seem Nexus 6 is short on batt life this time around which is like a first for its line. Biggest turnoff is probably just the size.

Actually most reviews are pointing to that being the two areas it still struggles

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Considering the lifetime of modern smartphones, I would consider the display discussion to be a non-issue.

Technology evolves and people want new stuff.

Even if the display is the best now, it will be superseded by a new one that is even thinner, draws less power and has a better color profile.

In the "old days", you would stick to your phone for a long time.
Today it's jus about buzzwords and product cycles.

For that reason, I would not switch just because there's a better display on one model. It will eventually be on other brands as well.

Dreday24

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Considering the lifetime of modern smartphones, I would consider the display discussion to be a non-issue.

Technology evolves and people want new stuff.

Even if the display is the best now, it will be superseded by a new one that is even thinner, draws less power and has a better color profile.

In the "old days", you would stick to your phone for a long time.
Today it's jus about buzzwords and product cycles.

For that reason, I would not switch just because there's a better display on one model. It will eventually be on other brands as well.

samsung never gives OEM's their new AMOLED tech.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think only Galaxy phones give you the option to set screen mode which is a really great function. I think with this amoled has already surpassed lcd in terms of display quality. The 3 complaints about amoled - brightness, resolution and color accuracy have been mostly addressed.

With the bendable amoled display in the pipeline it will be very exciting to see what Samsung will bring out next. Will apple use something different or will just be the same run of the mill LCD screen?
I don't think there is any rush for Apple. The screen's they use presently are very good and not run of the mill in any sense of the word.
Yep! great example! What is Android sales/market share? Glad you agree.......
Indeed as most of Androids marketshare appears to be made up of lower spec'd models anyway. Sales of cheap devices will always out-sell flagship devices regardless of what brand they are (Including Samsung Galaxy's) because they are obtainable to the mass market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.