Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkay5

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I have a iPhone 6. I went back and forth over whether to get the 6 or the 6 plus and decided to go with the 6 because I was worried the 6 plus wouldn't be as portable. Now I am second guessing myself. I have played around with the 6 plus in the store and love it, but I am still worried about how portable it is.

So I have some questions for those that have the 6 plus and love it.

1. Do you take the 6 plus with you when you exercise or go running? If so, do you keep it in your pocket or use an armband?

2. When you take your 6 plus with you and you don't have a bag with you to carry it in, do you put it in your pocket? Front or back? Or do you just carry it?

3. Do you have a case on it? Anyone using a thicker case like an Otterbox case?

4. I usually use battery cases with my iPhones, but they tend to be thicker cases so I don't know if I would want one for the iPhone 6 Plus (if any ever were to ever come out for it). Do you notice an improvement in the battery life on the 6 over previous iPhones you have owned? Are you able to go the whole day without charging?

Thanks for your time! If I could do it over again, I would have gone with the 6 Plus in the first place and then returned it within two weeks if it was too big. I almost feel like there is no way to know for sure if the 6 Plus will be too big for you without trying it out.

Piyo

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
1. Nah, I leave it at home. That said I only do laps around the block near where I live, might take it if I were going further out but it would be a hassle.

2. If I don't have a jacket with pockets or a bag with me and I need the phone I just carry it.

3. No case, but I do carry it in a slim leather (Ikonic Edge) pouch.

4. Battery is far better than my 5, even with heavy use I end the day on more than 30% remaining. With light use (only messages and a few calls a day, maybe a webpage or two) It'll last the working week.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
1. Do you take the 6 plus with you when you exercise or go running? If so, do you keep it in your pocket or use an armband?

leave it. i just use my ipod if i need to listen to music.

2. When you take your 6 plus with you and you don't have a bag with you to carry it in, do you put it in your pocket? Front or back? Or do you just carry it?

even with my 5S i never put it in my pocket. i just carry them as i do have a cover and made my own wool sleeve.

i don't like otterbox. had it on my 4S and hated it. too bulky and uneasy to pull and put it in your pocket (if ever you use your jeans pocket). maybe the new design is different but still too bulky. i am currently using a Ringke Air Cushion and like it a lot. and i also have a leather case.

4. I usually use battery cases with my iPhones, but they tend to be thicker cases so I don't know if I would want one for the iPhone 6 Plus (if any ever were to ever come out for it). Do you notice an improvement in the battery life on the 6 over previous iPhones you have owned? Are you able to go the whole day without charging?

battery life is good so you might not need a battery case for it. 6 and 6+ apparently have better battery life than 5S.

Thanks for your time! If I could do it over again, I would have gone with the 6 Plus in the first place and then returned it within two weeks if it was too big. I almost feel like there is no way to know for sure if the 6 Plus will be too big for you without trying it out.

try the 6+. you'll love it.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I was also unsure of the decision between these two phones, but ended up going with the 6 Plus and love it.

Here's how I see this after several weeks of owning the Plus:

If you use your iPhone primarily as a phone/texting device, with only light use of apps, the browser, etc., then the iPhone 6 is probably big enough for you. The Plus might be too much.

However, if you use your iPhone more like a full computer, ie. heavy on the browsing, twitter, lots of typing, photo editing, video editing, etc., OR if you own an iPad and wish you could feasibly have it with you all the time, then try the Plus. The bigger screen size is a major advantage for heavy usage scenarios. It's more like a "tablet in your pocket" than a blown up phone, IMO.

The Plus is definitely less portable than the 6. You do have to "get used to it". I wouldn't jog with it because it would swing around too much in my shorts or sweats pocket. It's fine in my jeans or slacks pocket though. One-handed use is quite difficult. Two handed use is terrific, and typing with two thumbs is easier than on the smaller phones.

Now after a few weeks with the Plus, I picked up my old 5s (which I'm prepping for sale) and was SHOCKED how small it looked and felt. I've read many comments like this on MacRumors from other Plus owners, but didn't realize the magnitude of it until I experienced it myself. It's weird, kind of like being on a boat for a week and then going back to land and not having your land legs.

Anyway, I hope that helps your decision!

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
If you have the itch then it will only get worse.

Sadly, it happened to me. I even got the Plus and thought it was too big, then missed it like crazy and now couldn't be happier.

Go for it.

kkay5

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for all the responses so far. Ack!!! It's so hard to know what to do. I pretty much use my phone for EVERYTHING. I stay at home now, but I was a computer programmer and love new tech so my iPhone is pretty much my favorite thing ever. Instead of giving me flowers for Valentine's, my husband will give me accessories for my phone like a back up battery, ha, ha! But portability is important to me too, because I am a minimalist and like having one device that I use for everything. I take my phone with me when I do my long distance walking. I did have a mini iPad, but I no longer use it, because I just like using one device (with the exception of my Mac). That's why I know I would love the plus, if I can just get over the portability issue. Hopefully, it's just something that you get used to.

ronswansonbaby

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
I have a iPhone 6. I went back and forth over whether to get the 6 or the 6 plus and decided to go with the 6 because I was worried the 6 plus wouldn't be as portable. Now I am second guessing myself. I have played around with the 6 plus in the store and love it, but I am still worried about how portable it is.

1. Use the Flipbelt with bluetooth headphones
2. Front pocket
3. zoogue social pro case
4. I can go 2 days with medium usage. 2 days being 7 AM unplugging at 100% Monday, get home with 15% Tuesday evening at 5:30.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
4. I can go 2 days with medium usage. 2 days being 7 AM unplugging at 100% Monday, get home with 15% Tuesday evening at 5:30.

i went 3 days with normal usage. i charged it sunday night and just recharged it wednesday night (last night) with 35% more remaining. amazing.....

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012

1. No, it's too big for that.

2. Yes, usually front pocket.

3. No case. Naked.

4. I can go two full days on a single charge.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
iPhone 6 Plus questions

Many people think the 6+ is too big. But it is only big compared to the phones they are used to. The truth is, an iPhone 6+ is no bigger than many things we carry around with us: a bottle of water, a wallet, a pair of glasses when stored in a case. For me, it took merely 2 hours to get used to the size of my 6+.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014

1. Yes, when I go for a run, I hold it in my hand like I've always done with previous phones and I'm planning on getting a waist band for the gym.

2. Front Pocket

3. Apple Leather Case

4. The battery life is great compared to what I used to get on my 4S. Previously, on a typical day, my battery level would drop to 30-40%, now with the 6 plus it only drops to 70-80% with the same activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.