Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r03dz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Im not quite sure what I should do. I received a replacement iPhone 6 for my faulty device. I put the faulty device in the sent packaging and brought to UPS to send back to Apple. After days with no update in repair status I decided to call Apple. They stated that they received a Black iPhone 5 and not an iPhone 6. This made me quite worried because I most certainly sent the faulty device to them. Now, I am being charged for the device. What should I do? Before anyone says I didn't send the device to them... I did. Any suggestions?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Im not quite sure what I should do. I received a replacement iPhone 6 for my faulty device. I put the faulty device in the sent packaging and brought to UPS to send back to Apple. After days with no update in repair status I decided to call Apple. They stated that they received a Black iPhone 5 and not an iPhone 6. This made me quite worried because I most certainly sent the faulty device to them. Now, I am being charged for the device. What should I do? Before anyone says I didn't send the device to them... I did. Any suggestions?

That is indeed odd.

Did you take pics of it in the box before you mailed it?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

When I send a valuable phone or laptop back I never hesitate to pay FEDEX or UPS for priority shipping. Then you're able to track it and prove it.

That's easily worth the price they charge me.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
They are charging your credit card?? Dispute the charge and let your credit card company help work it out. Always helps to have money on your side.

r03dz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Apple gives your everything to mail the device back. They received the device (says the tracking number) but they said when they opened it it was a iPhone 5 and not an iPhone 6.

----------

Does http://supportprofile.apple.com show your original iPhone 6?

I would grab the serial number and report it stolen.

The replacement was even more faulty than my current device so before mailing the replacement phone back I called Apple to confirm this was okay. They approved it and the next day I mailed it back. Under my account it says that the replacement device I sent back is mine and they disabled the warranty on my current device. This whole situation has given me an incredibly poor experience with Apple care.

----------

That is indeed odd.

Did you take pics of it in the box before you mailed it?

I didn't think I had to :(

----------

When I send a valuable phone or laptop back I never hesitate to pay FEDEX or UPS for priority shipping. Then you're able to track it and prove it.

Apple paid for the priority shipping and it had a tracking number. They just received a different device in the box.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
They are charging your credit card?? Dispute the charge and let your credit card company help work it out. Always helps to have money on your side.

Do what this guy said. Usually they give your money back right away as well, until the investigation is complete. I'm sure the outcome will be in your favor.

r03dz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Do what this guy said. Usually they give your money back right away as well, until the investigation is complete. I'm sure the outcome will be in your favor.

I will do this tomorrow morning when the lines open! Thanks! Also, everyone beware. It's not hard to tell what box is an iPhone replacement and I think there is something going on at UPS.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
I would contact your Fraud Department from your Credit Card Company right away. They are usually pretty good about this sort of thing. Also file a claim with UPS and Apple. You don't know where the mix-up occurred, could have been UPS or Apple. Document everything and keep a file.

Last edited:

Compa49

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
In addition to the other advice you have gotten I would contact UPS to file a claim or complaint with them. It seems your package was tampered with in transit. Good luck getting things resolved.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Don't think tracking is the issue here since the package was received.

----------

I would contact your Fraud Department from your Credit Card Company right away. They are usually pretty good about this sort of thing. Also file a claim with UPS and Apple. You don't know where the mix-up occurred, could have been UPS or Apple. Document everything and keep a file.

The credit card company won't do anything is this case as the charge by Apple is not a fraudulent one.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Also you may want to question apple about the ip5 serial number, they might have info of the owner, that may lead you to the person that switch it out, or apple might make a mistake on your return phone(possible a return unit to apple from another person and apple just make a mistake)

Also call the card company to put a hold on the charge until it is resolve.

r03dz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Thanks guys! I am going to start looking into it tomorrow! I will document everything I can. Updates to come.

r03dz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Update! I just realized I received a message from Fedex stating that I have a shipment waiting for me at the Canada-USA border and I need to declare the worth of the item to pay duty fees...... The apparent device is the iPhone 5 they state I sent them. Could Apple have just sent me a stolen device?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Update! I just realized I received a message from Fedex stating that I have a shipment waiting for me at the Canada-USA border and I need to declare the worth of the item to pay duty fees...... The apparent device is the iPhone 5 they state I sent them. Could Apple have just sent me a stolen device?

Sounds like apple simply sent you back what they believed you sent them. If that's a stolen phone, then yes. As blunt as this sounds, it's not their job to confirm any of that. In sure people try and defraud them all the time so they just send their box right back to them.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Do you have the purchase receipt for the iPhone 6 faulty device. Give them the information on it. Maybe they can track the phone'd imei no# and prevent it from use.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

you don't have to accept it. If you ignore it, it gets returned to the sender.

r03dz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
When I talked to them on the phone I told them I sent them an iPhone 6 and that I have never owned an iPhone 5 so it's not mine. Also, I have the serials numbers for both phones.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So someone opened the package and took the defective iPhone 6 out and replaced it with iPhone 5? I'd think they'd just steal the 6 and not bother giving away a 5.

Sounds fishy.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
So someone opened the package and took the defective iPhone 6 out and replaced it with iPhone 5? I'd think they'd just steal the 6 and not bother giving away a 5.

Sounds fishy.

I guess by doing so it shifts suspicion to the sender and away from them.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I supposed getting the package back from Apple would solve part of the mystery, allows you to file a fraud claim against UPS, and report your iPhone 6 stolen.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Wow, this is definitely a tricky case. You can understand Apple's position: if they opened the box and there's an iPhone 5 in there, there's not much they can do. On the other hand, you're clearly out of a device.

Assuming both sides are correct, and at this point we have no reason not to, it's likely someone in the UPS chain. Does UPS monitor package weight? I thought I recalled packages being weighed at the nearest origin and destination sorting locations. Maybe the perpetrator didn't want the package to suddenly get lighter, so swapped in an iPhone 5 to keep the weights similar.

Either way, it's probably time to get everyone involved. Apple as high as you can escalate (Executive CS if you have to), your credit card company, UPS...

The other question is why would someone want to steal a defective iPhone going to Apple for replacement?

They use the same box in both directions. They probably thought it was a working replacement unit. I suppose a check of the destination address would have told them which way it was going, but maybe they didn't think of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.