Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
https://ipsw.me/all#iPhone71

If this isn't a mistake, I'm blown away.

As of 4:38PM PST on 11/23 8.1 is STILL being signed

As of 12/1 8.1 is no longer being signed

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It is still being signed as of this very moment.

I restored my iPad to start over again with my JB. My iPad would respiring and boot up into safe mode when updating any apps the last two days.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
It is still being signed as of this very moment.

I restored my iPad to start over again with my JB. My iPad would respiring and boot up into safe mode when updating any apps the last two days.

Gotta say I'm surprised they've let it go this long.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
I was looking at some of the past updates and some were being signed up to 15 days after. A few were taken down the next day.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
I fresh restored my 6+ about 5 hrs ago.

I've installed some stuff and tested on my 6+. To be safe im going to restore it for the very last time

----------

Now my wifes got me all worried. Shes asking if restoring from iCloud or with the PC is better... I gotta say I have no clue lol.

I was looking at some of the past updates and some were being signed up to 15 days after. A few were taken down the next day.

Huh that seems unlike Apple for a firmware version that closes a jailbreak.

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
I restored my 5s to 8.1 today four hours ago after it got messed up and then I re-jailbroke it. Shame I'm at work so it's pretty vanilla until I get home and can restore my backup :(

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
They should let you put any OS that is compatible on your phone... on it. Forcing people to move up an OS is pretty ridiculous. Imagine if they made you do that on your computer.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
They should let you put any OS that is compatible on your phone... on it. Forcing people to move up an OS is pretty ridiculous. Imagine if they made you do that on your computer.

That would result in fragmentation like Android. Damned if you don't damned if you do.

----------

I restored my 5s to 8.1 today four hours ago after it got messed up and then I re-jailbroke it. Shame I'm at work so it's pretty vanilla until I get home and can restore my backup :(

I did a restore this morning. Just to ensure I clear out all the clutter of beta tweaks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
That would result in fragmentation like Android. Damned if you don't damned if you do.

It all depends on programmers' dedication on supporting all OS versions. I, myself, support all of them, starting with 4.0+, in my numerous AppStore apps - even armv6 ones like the iPhone 3G and the iPt2G running at 4.2.1. (Too bad it's no longer been possible to "hack" an armv6 slice into app archives' executable binaries since middle of Sept so, since then, I was forced to release armv7+-only apps...)

Given that it only takes about 5-10% of my total time to make sure a new feature / dialog etc. I implement works on older iOS versions (including making workarounds - say, when styled HTML text is needed, I just display unstyled ones on pre-iOS6 devices - the small degradation in user experience is still overshadowed by being able to run my app at all), I say devs NOT paying attention to old iOS versions are plain lazy.

Of course, this doesn't apply to stuff simply not possible in early (earlier) iOS versions because of the complete lack of both API support and workarounds; for example, manual camera settings.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
And as I said, it would lead to fragmentation like Android

It all depends on programmers' dedication on supporting all OS versions. I, myself, support all of them, starting with 4.0+, in my numerous AppStore apps - even armv6 ones like the iPhone 3G and the iPt2G running at 4.2.1. (Too bad it's no longer been possible to "hack" an armv6 slice into app archives' executable binaries since middle of Sept so, since then, I was forced to release armv7+-only apps...)

Given that it only takes about 5-10% of my total time to make sure a new feature / dialog etc. I implement works on older iOS versions (including making workarounds - say, when styled HTML text is needed, I just display unstyled ones on pre-iOS6 devices - the small degradation in user experience is still overshadowed by being able to run my app at all), I say devs NOT paying attention to old iOS versions are plain lazy.

Of course, this doesn't apply to stuff simply not possible in early (earlier) iOS versions because of the complete lack of both API support and workarounds; for example, manual camera settings.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
And as I said, it would lead to fragmentation like Android

Im not talking about using 7 when 8 has been out for a year. Im talking about being on 8.1, upgrading to 8.3 and having issues. You cant go back to 8.1... ever. That is utterly ridiculous to me.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Yep still being signed at 5pm UK time on 21/11/14

Went to 8.1.1 then after thinking about it decided I will downgrade to 8.1 to give me the option to jailbreak again if I feel the need.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It makes sense, because after 8.0.1 users were stuck on 8.0.1 and couldn't downgrade to 8.0.0.

Makes sense to leave 8.1.0 open in the event that there was a repeat of 8.0.1

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
It makes sense, because after 8.0.1 users were stuck on 8.0.1 and couldn't downgrade to 8.0.0.

Makes sense to leave 8.1.0 open in the event that there was a repeat of 8.0.1

Yea I was thinking the same thing. Some have already had problems with 8.1.1 I think.

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Now the only problem is that damn "1" bubble above Settings app. How do you get rid of that in iOS 8?

Does NoOTA Badge work with iOS 8?

I haven't tried it because, weirdly, my phone isn't asking me to update to 8.1.1 this time although it did before I redid the restore yesterday.

Now if I go to the update bit in settings it's stuck saying searching. Maybe that's a good thing :)

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Does NoOTA Badge work with iOS 8?

I haven't tried it because, weirdly, my phone isn't asking me to update to 8.1.1 this time although it did before I redid the restore yesterday.

Now if I go to the update bit in settings it's stuck saying searching. Maybe that's a good thing :)

No idea, I was going to just use Springtomize. Might be a few here curious if you find out.

---------------

Damn it looks like Springtomize can't disable specific badges. So I'm interested if it works.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.