Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilson20072000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
1. Wifi connection is too weak compared to any Android phones such as LG or HTC phone. There is a tea table in front of my company, I and my colleagues usually sit there surfing web. The difference is my 3 colleagues can connect to an open wifi network from a neighboring phone shop with their Android phones. My iPhone 5S is an exception because it cant find that wifi network like my colleagues' phones do. So I have to use 3G to surf web. Then I had my iPhone 5S sold and got the HTC butterfly S. The problem is cured off. I can connect the open wifi.

2. iPhone does not notify us about a wifi network found when it is in that wifi range but the user has to search. However all android phones do by themselves when we are in a connection range.

3. iPhone's battery is the worst in startphone range. I have it charged full at 7:00 am and entirely drained off at 1:00pm. I have just bought an HTC butterfly S, the issue is gone.

4. iPhone is very soon obsolete because Apple does not stop producing new models. One more thing, Apple just releases 1 model at a time, so people will easily know which year your iphone is sold. That's why iPhone becomes obsolete quickly. Unlike Apple, other phone Brands like Samsung, LG or HTC produce a lot models, so people will not easily know which models are produced at which time.

5. Apple's strategy is to launch new iOS update and recommends users to update, promising of fixing bugs and improvement of operations but that is not true. The iPhones slow down after the upgrade. The purpose here is to force the users to buy their new products that are currently released. If the user realizes this and does not upgrade, the red notification bubble will keep showing forever on the Setting icon, this is really a harassing problem which keeps rousing the user and sooner or later the user will be seduced to press on it to upgrade and let it go.

6. iOS is an closed source so user can only do things that Apple has assigned. If you want to make the transition change such as Barrel does, you have to jailbreak it which affects badly to the warranty.

7. Spending $200 for the physical phone and $600 for the bitten apple logo is not a smart expenditure. I say this because Apple is more expensive than other phone brand because of its fame and popularity, not because of quality.

8. The charging contactor always changes in every iPhone generation, this is the most crazy that Apple made. I can not use the previous charger when I got the iphone 5S. when I was hanging out and went to somewhere, I could hardly find someone who can lend me an charger that works for iphone 5 when my iphone was out of battery. I almost went mad. Then I bought an android phone, I can get it charged everywhere because the android charger is available in every household.

9. Iphone does not allow sending file to other phone by Bluetooth but the android phones do.

10. Most of us nowadays have a Google account to access Youtube, Gmail, G+ and so on. Therefore it's very convenient to use android phones as we have already had a Google account to sync contacts, documents, download apps on Google play. By using Android phone, we don't have to create iCloud and Apple Id as Apple would require for iPhone. Our information ID should unified to 1 account only for easy control and access.

10805575_694940247279617_7356343000643458457_n.jpg

Written by Wilson Le

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I never "left" but Apple pushed me to Android being stubborn and keeping tiny iPhones as all you could buy.

Android had wonderful phones in 2011 to the present so I enjoyed several with Nexus 5 my favorite.

Now finally Apple made the 6+ just for people that love a more useful spacious phone. Good riddens to the tiny phone.

I'm currently using my wonderful Nexus 5, my iP6+ and soon to arrive Nexus 6.

ammophobia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
1. Don't know the exact specs for wifi reception, but you're trying to hitch a ride on a neighboring store's wifi?

2. If you turn on "ask to join network" in settings, it will prompt you when wifi is in range

3. It depends on your usage, and there are some settings you can meddle with to get a better battery life

4. On the contrary, Apple supports an iPhone longer than any Android phones are supported by their respective manufacturers. And model change is blatantly noticeable only every 2 years. The S models generally are only recognizable if you look close enough. The point which people easily notice what model of iPhone it is, simply is because it's the most popular family of smartphones, so more people have knowledge on it.

5. Android even has worse support for older hardwares.

6. That's a tradeoff for security. If you prefer to have deeper access to the system, then you're right to choose Android.

7. It's arguable, but some may find that the price is good enough for the value, considering Apple provides the best aftersales support among smartphone manufacturers.

8. It only ever happened once, the transition from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5. And it made a thinner phone possible. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

9. If you live in an Apple-dominated environment, AirDrop makes it easy for you. But if you don't, then it's correct to pick an Android phone.

10. Many people has already been in the Apple ecosystem since the days of the iPod. An Apple ID is not difficult to create, and it's used in everything in the Apple ecosystem.

iPhone and Android phones have their pros and cons, but most of your points are easily debatable.

wilson20072000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
1. Don't know the exact specs for wifi reception, but you're trying to hitch a ride on a neighboring store's wifi?

2. If you turn on "ask to join network" in settings, it will prompt you when wifi is in range

3. It depends on your usage, and there are some settings you can meddle with to get a better battery life

4. On the contrary, Apple supports an iPhone longer than any Android phones are supported by their respective manufacturers. And model change is blatantly noticeable only every 2 years. The S models generally are only recognizable if you look close enough. The point which people easily notice what model of iPhone it is, simply is because it's the most popular family of smartphones, so more people have knowledge on it.

5. Android even has worse support for older hardwares.

6. That's a tradeoff for security. If you prefer to have deeper access to the system, then you're right to choose Android.

7. It's arguable, but some may find that the price is good enough for the value, considering Apple provides the best aftersales support among smartphone manufacturers.

8. It only ever happened once, the transition from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5. And it made a thinner phone possible. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

9. If you live in an Apple-dominated environment, AirDrop makes it easy for you. But if you don't, then it's correct to pick an Android phone.

10. Many people has already been in the Apple ecosystem since the days of the iPod. An Apple ID is not difficult to create, and it's used in everything in the Apple ecosystem.

iPhone and Android phones have their pros and cons, but most of your points are easily debatable.

@Ammophobia

2. Not the Ask to Join setting helps, that's for familiar network that has been saved on the iphone, but for a strange wifi network that your phone has never been connected, the iphone won't notify you about a new wifi found unless you search. But in Android, a wifi icon will pop up on the top of home screen when when the phone is in a wifi range.

3. To my habit, the location service, 3G, autobrightness, facebook and email fetching notification once / 15m. It's the same setting on any phone.

ammophobia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
2. I'm currently in a shopping mall and here's a screenshot, when I try to open a webpage, it prompts me with a list of wifi networks I've never joined before.

http://imgur.com/AEFtGnB

3. iPhone's battery life is not the best, but it's not the worst in its class. I personally use a 6+ and satisfied with the battery life. Try searching for iPhone 5S battery life tips.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OP going mad with the exaggeration stick....

6. iOS is an closed source so user can only do things that Apple has assigned. If you want to make the transition change such as Barrel does, you have to jailbreak it which affects badly to the warranty.

How is this different to any android device which technically 'rooting' voids warranty, and Samsung devices with their extra layer of Knox flags and bios triggers/counters which once changed from anything official technically voids your warranty too....

The charging contactor always changes in every iPhone generation

No it doesn't. It's changed once in 7 generations of phones....

7. Spending $200 for the physical phone and $600 for the bitten apple logo is not a smart expenditure. I say this because Apple is more expensive than other phone brand because of its fame and popularity, not because of quality.

Have you bought a flagship device like the Note 4 or Galaxy Edge off contract ? Pricing is not too dismiliar.

5. Apple's strategy is to launch new iOS update and recommends users to update, promising of fixing bugs and improvement of operations but that is not true.

Tell that to android users who likewise update and find their new software introduces a slew of bugs, even some lollipop updaters are complaining that they can not make a call. Heck the Galaxy Note 3 launched here in Ireland with software bug that meant for the first month it could not make a call over 2G GSM ...... Or those with a Note 3 that when updating to Jelly Bean on AT&T has made their devices slower and introduced lag. It happens on every platform. What is important is the speed at rolling out a FIX.

4. iPhone is very soon obsolete because Apple does not stop producing new models. One more thing, Apple just releases 1 model at a time, so people will easily know which year your iphone is sold. That's why iPhone becomes obsolete quickly. Unlike Apple, other phone Brands like Samsung, LG or HTC produce a lot models, so people will not easily know which models are produced at which time.

Apple introduce 1-2 products per year ? How is that obsolescence ? Do you have any idea how many models Samsung / Sony/ LG introduce each year ?

Seriously your post is full of so much misinformation and utterly misguided it beggars belief. Even as a newbie I would have expected better.

Last edited:

wilson20072000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
2. I'm currently in a shopping mall and here's a screenshot, when I try to open a webpage, it prompts me with a list of wifi networks I've never joined before.

http://imgur.com/AEFtGnB

3. iPhone's battery life is not the best, but it's not the worst in its class. I personally use a 6+ and satisfied with the battery life. Try searching for iPhone 5S battery life tips.

I was with iOS 7 and sure this function was not available

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Sounds like a post I would have agreed with until swapping around 4 different Android powered phones.

What it came down to is I much preferred Vanilla Android on a Nexus device. However I didn't particularly care for the Nexus devices.

People cherry pick all the cool things from all Android phones and conveniently forget to mention no one Android device does all of that.

Stick with what you like and we'll stick with what we like. No big deal we have varying opinions on smartphones. Who cares anyway? It's just a phone.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
I knew clicking on this thread title would be a waste of time. I really should listen to my instincts more often.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is this post meant to be sarcastic or flame-bait? I am looking at points 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 and am like ?!?

I should respond, but it's been a long day, and the amount of effort to refute nonsense, as always, always outstrips the effort required to spout it. :mad:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
what else should it be if not a subjective choice?

"10 reasons i chose android"

The reason come off as objective and they are anything but that. Battery claims, soon to be obsolete, charger changing with each generation, apple's update strategy.

Also, that is not the thread title :)

Last edited:

wilson20072000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Because half of his "reasons" are based on bad information. But whatever, he wants to switch to Android, have at it.

How could you know they are bad? Those are just my own experiences. I am not trying to advertise for android neither degrading Apple for any beneficial purpose, nor misleading you guys. You have the right to disbelieve.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
How could you know they are bad? Those are just my own experiences. I am not trying to advertise for android neither degrading Apple for any beneficial purpose, nor misleading you guys. You have the right to disbelieve.

Bad because they aren't true. iPhones find WiFi networks that you've never connected to all the time, unless you set it to not find them.
Android flagship phones cost just as much as iPhones, so citing costs is incorrect.
Apple has changed the connection ONE time in 13 years, so I'm not entirely sure where you came up with that one.
Rooting your Android phone also tends to void the warranty and is required to do a lot of the "cool" things with apps.

I can go on and on about your reasons, but others have already debunked them. I simply suggest that you find out more about iOS before writing a list that is full of inconsistencies. Again, have fun with Android. I look forward to another list from you in a few months about what you miss about iOS.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
This baloney knock on Apple about the connectors changing is such..well baloney. I hear it all the time at work and some circles of friends.

"Apple is changing their connector again???!!!"

"I don't want to upgrade to the new iPhone, they might force me to use a new connector"

"I have to buy all of these new accessories again because they changed the connector on me"

They changed it one time! and for the better. The reversible feature is arguably a game changer. Now the USB standard is going reversible as well.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Is this post meant to be sarcastic or flame-bait?

Let's analyse, shall we?

• Newbie,
  • First post,
  • Hackneyed title: "10 Reasons...",
  • Voluminous screed,
  • "Arresting" graphic,
  • Author's name and email contact details.

Hmm... Is somebody looking for a paid writing gig - or hoping to be "discovered"?

Good luck, OP. Good luck.

----------

I knew clicking on this thread title would be a waste of time. I really should listen to my instincts more often.

And I'm old enough to know better. Seriously.

It's the old, "10 Reasons...", routine. Always draws me in. Like a moth to a flame.

Last edited:

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Edit: iOS 8 is running smoothly on my iPhone 5 but I understand for someone with an iPhone 4, it would have been great if the latest OS ran more efficiently. There are always counter arguments, like I could say...

1. all my Apple devices including iPhone get a much better wifi connection than my Nexus
2. my iOS and Android (using Lollipop) devices don't notify me any differently about wifi hotspots
3. I usually get two solid days out of my iPhone 6 and my iPad blows my Nexus 7 away! The Nexus goes dead within a few days in standby
4. no one forces you to upgrade every time
5. iOS upgrades work well on older devices than my Nexus where apps on Lollipop stutter
6. rooting Android affects the warranty
7. you get what you pay for
8. it's changed once in like 15 years (=2 versions)? And the new one is very small and reversible, which is better than mini or micro USB (=2 versions too)
9. You can transfer files with AirPlay, which is simple to use and works very well
10. with iOS you can easily sync with Apple or Google, so you have an additional option & better privacy with Apple

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.