Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
photo of phone & interface

from http://www.nokioteca.net:

I should probably mention this is unsubstantiated information (hence page 2) but is posted here since it's getting some buzz around Nokia-fan websites.

Attachments

• appleadn80i2rn.jpg
    appleadn80i2rn.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 6,414

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Considering my SLVR shows up tomorrow, I'd say this is true. :p

While I was on GSM carriers back in the day, the Nokia phones were by far the easiest to use. We'll see how this stands next to Moto.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I really hope so.

There isn't any reason why Apple can't make a iTunes client for any phone. Apple should target Series60, being one of the most popular platforms around.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I wish this would be true .... would be a HUGE boost for Apples mobile iTunes development since they already have a solid working relationship with Nokia (part of the Alliance of Symbian consortium) that develops their own S60 user interface. (Currently its officially named S60 instead of Series 60).

unfortunately I dont see this coming to light as I've had a picture displayed on that site for over 7 months now .... even have another to show those curious about it.

Though I'm not loosing hope since Apple worked closely with Nokia for the 3rd gen S60 devices to use the co-developed Nokia Browser = which is fantastic by all pictorial accounts & its feature set.

EDIT: by the way that is a REAL phone due out in 2 months on Vodafone in Europe its the N80
specs UMTS 2100, EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900Mhz Bands with WIFI 802.11g with UPnP support. oh yeah for us on this side of the pond ... there is an 1900Mhz UMTS with the rest of the above goodies expected soon as well. BOTH have already received FCC approval in the past month!!!!

Attachments

• Nokia N80 & iTunes2.JPG
    Nokia N80 & iTunes2.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,401

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
would be a great boost for iTunes phones. personally i don't like nokias, but that's rather sweet, and might tempt me back from the mighty SonyEricsson P9xx series...

if it can hold more than 100 tunes, that is.

CRTC

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
Yeah, right

So Nokia have supposedly forgotten how to spell 'calendar', and can't work out how to set leading correctly on Illustrator (I mean, there needs to be a good bit more space between 'iTunes + Nokia' and 'New: the first...').

And what's 'Frontrow'? Apple call it Front Row.

Not one of the more convincing fakes out there.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
bigandy said:
would be a great boost for iTunes phones. personally i don't like nokias, but that's rather sweet, and might tempt me back from the mighty SonyEricsson P9xx series...

if it can hold more than 100 tunes, that is.

BUT... P9xx isn't Series 60 so this iTunes client wouldn't work. You need a Symbian UIQ flavour.

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
This would be awsome, I have been waiting for the N80 for some time now, and this would just make me sh*t in my pants. Oh, there is one problem for us int he US... it's not going to be here for some time. The version approved by the FCC is quadband GSM, but only 1900mhz UMTS... which means cingular has refused to carry it. And tmo will not be carring it because they are no where near having UMTS, they don't even have EDGE everywhere. But, the good news is that rumor has it that Cingy sent the phone back to nokia and asked for a verision with 850mhz UMTS... which should be called the N80i. So I guess with that being true, we should see Cingular releasing a N80i with iTunes sometime this late summer.

YAY~!

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Well, I'm a S60 fan so this would suit me down to the ground.

This may be wishful thinking (the advert does look pretty fake), but I can half believe it too. Apple want to form a partnership with a mobile manufacturer, and the relationship with Moto is collapsing for several reasons. SonyEricsson are out because of their links with iPod rival Walkman. Nokia is the next logical choice.

Also, Noika are advertising their "XpressMusic" music player feature for the nextgen S60, but haven't released any details yet. Could this be iTunes in disguise? After the negative publicity caused by the dissapointment of the ROKR, I should imagine that Jobs would want to keep things even more top-secret than usual. But, Nokia, who announce their new products months in advance, had to say something. Hence "XpressMusic".

Finally, anyone noticed how remarkably well iSync works with the S60? OK, it took them long enough to support the SyncML models like the 7610, but it's flawless. I remember reading somewhere that Apple engineers collaborated with Nokia engineers to get this working... so the two companies are already working together. Oh yeah, and the Safari tie-in too.

Of course, the fly in the ointment will be the Networks, who will complain for the same reason they complained about the ROKR. They'll also complain about the N80 because of it's WLAN capabilities. Sure, the likes of Voda might carry it, but expect a crippled version unless you buy one independently of a contract.

That'll be my €0.02, then.

Regards
Superleccy

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Nokia's iTunes Phone?

Faq-Mac claims to have a picture of an upcoming Nokia iTunes-enabled cell phone.

The picture reads: "iTunes + NOKIA. New: The first Series 60 iTunes phone!"

It also reportedly ships with a cell-phone version of Frontrow. "Frontrow on your phone". Of note, Apple uses the spacing "Front Row" rather than "Frontrow" on its website.

The validity of the image is clearly remains in question.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
Def a fake - the photo posted by prom1 shows a user's iTunes in the background, with their lists and a whole bunch of 50 cent songs. Apple would put the store view on any ad.

What an idiot. Study up on Apple before you make fakes people!!!! (not you prom1, referring to creator of pic)

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
why would they switch so suddenly from motorola to nokia. i didn't even realize nokia was still around. everyone i know has moto or lg (with some exceptions like 1 with sidekick, etc.) i highly doubt this.

BTW, on the ipod, isn't now playing at the bottom of the entire list, and not second to last as shown in the picture. And why would you want Front Row on your cell phone. Watch movies on it, not going to happen.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
It certainly does look like a fake when one looks at the details. I've been planning of buying this phone for ages anyway so I'll get it as soon as it comes out. If it sports Frontrow and iTunes integration then all the better. Although I wouldn't use it. IPod all the way. Keep it seperate.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Not to mention, Front Row and iTunes are redundant with each other, unless you're talking about library management--which is not what iTunes does on a phone. It's just a player, like iPod or Front Row.

Looks like someone's wishful thinking got away from them.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
interesting if this is real..Maybe it's one of their fun new products? lol. If this is true, surely apple would of made an announcement like they did with Motorola?

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
i think the pic is fake that pony1 posted. You can tell because there are a bunch of songs with out album titles. Apple, just wouldn't do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.