Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
The built-in text replacement feature made me very happy when it got included in OS X. I use TextExpander only for very simple stuff so I thought I could finally ditch it, which would be good since it's also not natively included in iOS.

But in so many places it doesn't work...
Non-Mac'ish apps like Microsoft Word or Adobe Illustrator is a no-no.
But even Apple apps like Stickies.app and Calendar.app I can't get it to work in.
Shouldn't a modern Cocoa app by Apple support its own basic features? :mad:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The built-in text replacement feature made me very happy when it got included in OS X. I use TextExpander only for very simple stuff so I thought I could finally ditch it, which would be good since it's also not natively included in iOS.

But in so many places it doesn't work...
Non-Mac'ish apps like Microsoft Word or Adobe Illustrator is a no-no.
But even Apple apps like Stickies.app and Calendar.app I can't get it to work in.
Shouldn't a modern Cocoa app by Apple support its own basic features? :mad:
I was glad to ditch my text expander apps, especially since the shortcuts sync between my Macs and iPhone/iPad. However, like you, I've seen that the shortcuts don't work on the Mac many times, such as in the Safari address bar and on many websites and in MS Office apps, etc. Also, I've noticed that occasionally a shortcut will disappear and I have to re-enter it. I use them extensively, so it would be great if the reliability were better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.