Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Cybix
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Cybix Send a message via Skype™ to Cybix
which email client for new macbook?

macbook is on it's way (apparently)

I also have office:mac coming for it.. should I use the mail client that comes with office (entourage?) or the mac os X built in client? (mail?)... i read that you can search 'mail' with spotlight, but what about entourage?

which is better, or should I forget them both and use something else?

James
Cybix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Mozilla Thunderbird
Compile 'em all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
MUCKYFINGERS
macrumors 6502a

mail.app is a fine program.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:41 PM   #4
clayj
macrumors 604

If they're giving you Entourage, consider using it. (Especially if you're going to be getting your mail from an Exchange Server.) It's what I run on my Macs.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:49 PM   #5
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
I would say mail.app(gmail POP account) and Entourage....they got there ups and downs as well and i think Microsoft is working on a spotlight fix.

Bless
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:51 PM   #6
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
It's up to you. I use Mail and have no complaints. I have a friend who loves Entourage. There are of course other email apps out there like Thunderbird and Eudora.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:54 PM   #7
VanNess
macrumors 6502a

Although Office/Entourage may well run admirably on your forthcoming Intel Mac, it will be running under emulation (as well as Thunderbird, et al). Apple's mail program, on the other hand, is native, raring and ready to go. Also, Entourage is not yet Spotlight search compatible (supposedly, Microsoft expects to have that working in it's next update to Office 04) whereas Mail has always been Spotlight searchable.

Depending on your needs, unless there is something about Entourage that makes it irresistible to use, I would go with Apple's Mail, particularly since it's native to the machine you will be running it on. Mail has always worked fine for me in Tiger, and I have numerous mailboxes and 2 email accounts that it handles with no problem. Spotlight Mail searches are instantaneous, and the Spotlight-charged smart mailbox feature is terrific. Hard to beat.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:18 PM   #8
kretzy
macrumors 601

Use Mail. It is a great app - clean and simple. I really dislike Entourage (the only reason I use it is for Hotmail), I find it really slow and clunky and it doesn't look all that great either.
kretzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:06 PM   #9
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says....I will be sticking with Mail.app when my MacBook arrives - I see no reason to change....oh yeah!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:13 PM   #10
Cybix
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Cybix Send a message via Skype™ to Cybix
thanks for the heads up. I'll check out 'mail' and see how I go. I think the 'spotlight' searchable is a big thing for me. And I guess that it's intel friendly.

I hope MS offer a reasonable cheap upgrade to office:mac 04 (universal) when it's out.. or their next version of office....
Cybix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 07:03 PM   #11
tjwett
macrumors 68000

Entourage stinks. i don't want to offend any faithful Entourage users but i'd rather not deal with headache that is the Entourage mail database. when that thing gets corrupted well, good luck. Mail isn't amazing either but at least the messages are kept as separate files. Mail also integrates tightly with the rest of the OS and other apps. if you don't plan to use Address Book and iCal then you can use Entourage for email, contacts and calendar and have them all in the same place but if you plan to use any of Apple's bundled stuff then you'd be better with Mail.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:14 PM   #12
superwoman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwett
Entourage stinks. i don't want to offend any faithful Entourage users but i'd rather not deal with headache that is the Entourage mail database. when that thing gets corrupted well, good luck. Mail isn't amazing either but at least the messages are kept as separate files. Mail also integrates tightly with the rest of the OS and other apps. if you don't plan to use Address Book and iCal then you can use Entourage for email, contacts and calendar and have them all in the same place but if you plan to use any of Apple's bundled stuff then you'd be better with Mail.
Use Entourage if you need an integrated calender/scheduler/address book and mail. I find Entourage's calander and address book functions to be more powerful than Apple's iCal and Address Book.

On the other hand, Mail.app allows you to make use of plugins that make your mail experience more enjoyable. My favourite plugin is Mail.Appetizer.
superwoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:21 AM   #13
DerChef
macrumors 6502

I thought the problems with corrupt Entourage databases were sorted a long time ago. It was a bad problem but it is now ancient history. Main problem with Entourage and I think Thunderbird as well is that Spotlight cant index it.

Thunderbird (in fairness I have only tried the PC version) I detested kept hanging when I went to import existing mail folders into it. Thunderbird fine for a couple of open souce mad geeks to chat to each other with but does not support enough protocols to be a serious email client.

Basically Mail is fine and integrates nicely with the Mac environment wish it had better importing and exporting though
DerChef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:53 PM   #14
penguinman
macrumors member

i used entourage for awhile, but with the recent version of Mail in Tiger, i've switched.. i love it. much more clean than entourage
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:00 AM   #15
qtip919
macrumors 6502

I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

mail.app

I cant believe I ever lived without search...
qtip919 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store