Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shedboyxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Hi Folks, first thread

I have a friend who has a Dual 1.25G G4 with an unusual monitor issue

The G4 boots up, monitor looking normal. As it continues to boot up, out of nowhere comes a harsh almost 8 bit look to the display. Overly bright with edges of dialog boxes looking indistinct. This usually kicks in right as the Airport, Date/Time, and CD Eject icons show up in the right side of the menu bar.

If he boots from another volume, no issue. We made another dummy account and booted(logged in) from that. Looks fine.

I know it's in his user account. I've zapped P-RAM, run Disk Permissions, thrown away a good dozen plist files including Desktop, Finder, System Preferences, Display Preferences to no avail.

Not sure where to go with this issue although I know it has something to do with his account.

Attached are the A (normal look) and B (harsh lousy look after total bootup) images. Open for suggestions.

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments

• Monitor_A_normal.jpg
    Monitor_A_normal.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Monitor_B_Harsh.jpg
    Monitor_B_Harsh.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 90

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Also go into displays-color and make sure he hasn't created some sort of crazy custom calibration profile that makes it do this. When in doubt, set it back to the default "Color LCD".

I'd bet it's the contrast setting, as suggested above, though.

shedboyxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Thank you VERY much both of you redheeler and bunnspecial.

It was the Universal Access Contrast slider.

I really did not even think to look there or delete that preference, When I did see that setting it made total sense.

Thanks again for giving my first post a welcoming gift. :)

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.