Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Has anyone had an SSD replaced by Samsung under warranty?

I had an 840 EVO 500 go out last week. One year old. Supposed to have 3 year warranty. I have submitted the Samsung Online RMA Request Form twice the past week, but no response from them? Site just says they will process my request and get back to me shortly?

What was your experience?

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Has anyone had an SSD replaced by Samsung under warranty?

I had an 840 EVO 500 go out last week. One year old. Supposed to have 3 year warranty. I have submitted the Samsung Online RMA Request Form twice the past week, but no response from them? Site just says they will process my request and get back to me shortly?

What was your experience?

Did you fill this out? Only its different for SSDs. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportServiceWarrantySSDODDExchange.do
If so just wait for an XRA number so you can return your SSD.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Did you fill this out? Only its different for SSDs. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportServiceWarrantySSDODDExchange.do
If so just wait for an XRA number so you can return your SSD.

Yes, that is the form I filled out and submitted twice so far.

Since this is my business computer I could not wait for them to respond, so I went ahead and bought another identical drive and installed it. I guess their warranty is something they do when they get around to it? I am used to Western Digital where they get me a replacement hard drive out the same day when one fails and I send the damaged one back by giving them a credit card number.

If you are running Samsung SSDs I guess it would be prudent to buy spares if you don't have a few weeks to burn when one goes out!

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Two years ago they replaced a Samsung 830 that suddenly developed too many CRC errors and refused to mount, they took like maybe 3-4 days to do it, pretty decent of them.

That 830's running in an old Mac Pro 1,1 now, I figure it's a good fit.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Took 2 hours but I finally got someone on the phone! They did receive my requests and apparently tried to reply to me (and a few times while I was on the phone with them also via email) and apparently ALL emails from Samsung are getting bounced back to them from the GoDaddy server where I have my email account.

I have had the same email address for 20 years and have clients all over the globe and never had one person say they could not reach me via email? I get probably 150 Spam an Junk mails per day at that address - apparently they can get through!

Finally had to set up a G-mail account just to get their responses.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Took 2 hours but I finally got someone on the phone! They did receive my requests and apparently tried to reply to me (and a few times while I was on the phone with them also via email) and apparently ALL emails from Samsung are getting bounced back to them from the GoDaddy server where I have my email account.

I have had the same email address for 20 years and have clients all over the globe and never had one person say they could not reach me via email? I get probably 150 Spam an Junk mails per day at that address - apparently they can get through!

Finally had to set up a G-mail account just to get their responses.

You should talk to GoDaddy to see if they have some soft of third party screening going on for e-mail. A lot of ISP's use services that attempt to make spam "die on the vine" so you never see it, and some of them won't even notify the sender that it didn't make it. I'm not familiar with that GoDaddy does.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
You should talk to GoDaddy to see if they have some soft of third party screening going on for e-mail. A lot of ISP's use services that attempt to make spam "die on the vine" so you never see it, and some of them won't even notify the sender that it didn't make it. I'm not familiar with that GoDaddy does.

Go daddy drove some of my clients around the bend with their spam filters, similar to yahoo with mails arriving 3 days late or seemingly lost in their email ether forever. A pita and ultimately you get what you (don't) pay for.

I have since moved all of them onto Microsoft exchange online mailboxes which are superb for about 60 bucks a year. You can choose what spam filtering you require and the stock Mac and iOS apps work great, with the added bonus of cardDAV and calDAV support for Google/iCloud contacts and calendars too unlike using a crippled so called premium client like outlook for the Mac which won't support those standards in their spat with Apple and Google.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
UPDATE:

Received a "REFURBISHED" Drive today from Samsung.

Not sure how you "refurbish" an SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.