Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfsbane58

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Meridian, ID
This is a fairly recent development. But I'm both, hearing from friends and family that use iPhones, and experiencing this issue myself. You send a text message using iMessage, and get a notification that the message has been sent. But the person that you sent the text to never receives it. This is compounded by the way that Apple delivers, (or fails to deliver), regular texts by other means if iMessage is not working. The end result is that you cannot reliably send a text by either means.

Some users have been attributing this to the new IOS upgrade that just came out for iPad2 and iPhone 4s, but I have not upgraded to this new version because I have an iPhone 6 Plus. Still, the issue seems to be affecting me just the same.

This is a critical issue, as a huge number of users communicate using iMessage. The fact that Apple also seems to be interfering with delivery of regular texts is making this issue even worse.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
iOS 8.1.1 isn't only for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. It is for all devices but gives improvements especially to the 4s and iPad 2

wolfsbane58

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Meridian, ID
A lot of people are not upgrading for fear that it is breaking some applications, including iMessage. Again, in my case, this doesn't seem the primary cause because I haven't upgraded yet.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Probably a combination of usual issues.

Did not signout/disable iMessage/iCloud when getting rid of old phones.

Using existing threads that reference the old device (need to wipe out the old thread, or if I recall correctly, tap on a message bubble in the conversation to reset things [or maybe invoke on of the edit options]).

BriOS

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
My imessage has been broken on my iphone 6 for two weeks now. I was on the phone with apple care and they had me turn off find my iphone so they could create a replacement order for my bad phone(camera issue). Since then, we decided it would be much faster to just head into an apple store and have them replace it. So I signed back into find my phone until I could get to the store. Since then, imessage will not work. I ended up getting a replacement phone, and did NOT restore the itunes backup. Still no work. It activates, but will not send imessages. The people who get my SMS, respond back it and it turnes it into imessage. But I never get it. Its the same with anyone I text. I spent 4 hours on the phone with apple again on saturday, and they went through everything.

They had to open an engineering case and ask me all kinds of questions before they could pass the ticket along to the engineers. After two phones, and countless resets and trying three different apple IDs, they have ruled out everything but my actual phone number. So now I have wait for the engineers to check it out. This sucks.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
My imessage has been broken on my iphone 6 for two weeks now. I was on the phone with apple care and they had me turn off find my iphone so they could create a replacement order for my bad phone(camera issue). Since then, we decided it would be much faster to just head into an apple store and have them replace it. So I signed back into find my phone until I could get to the store. Since then, imessage will not work. I ended up getting a replacement phone, and did NOT restore the itunes backup. Still no work. It activates, but will not send imessages. The people who get my SMS, respond back it and it turnes it into imessage. But I never get it. Its the same with anyone I text. I spent 4 hours on the phone with apple again on saturday, and they went through everything.

They had to open an engineering case and ask me all kinds of questions before they could pass the ticket along to the engineers. After two phones, and countless resets and trying three different apple IDs, they have ruled out everything but my actual phone number. So now I have wait for the engineers to check it out. This sucks.

iMessages are intimately bound to your Apple ID. You're probably going to be very short on luck, unfortunately, if you flit about using multiple IDs for this kind of messaging.

You effectively got a new phone, with a new Apple ID, and sent SMS successfully to iPhone users? When they receive an SMS like that, their phone will recognise the number as being associated with a particular Apple ID, not necessarily the one you're using now. Their replies are probably sitting in a buffer somewhere on one of Apple's servers. It's probably a similar situation to those users who moved their phone number to a non-Apple device without first cleaning the shelf: iPhone contacts will still assume a functioning Apple ID and buffer messages on Apple's servers.
Good luck getting things sorted. A replacement handset probably isn't the answer. Let us know how you get on with Apple support.

BriOS

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
iMessages are intimately bound to your Apple ID. You're probably going to be very short on luck, unfortunately, if you flit about using multiple IDs for this kind of messaging.

You effectively got a new phone, with a new Apple ID, and sent SMS successfully to iPhone users? When they receive an SMS like that, their phone will recognise the number as being associated with a particular Apple ID, not necessarily the one you're using now. Their replies are probably sitting in a buffer somewhere on one of Apple's servers. It's probably a similar situation to those users who moved their phone number to a non-Apple device without first cleaning the shelf: iPhone contacts will still assume a functioning Apple ID and buffer messages on Apple's servers.
Good luck getting things sorted. A replacement handset probably isn't the answer. Let us know how you get on with Apple support.

The ios tech guy revoked my imessage cert and I reactivated with another apple ID and it still didnt work. They are sure its tied to my phone number not my apple ID. They are still working on it.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
The ios tech guy revoked my imessage cert and I reactivated with another apple ID and it still didnt work. They are sure its tied to my phone number not my apple ID. They are still working on it.

Are you still able to send SMS messages to people? Are they able to send SMS replies back to you? (Hint: you and your correspondents can elect to send a message via SMS or iMessage by deliberate choice). If your correspondents can reply via SMS to you, they are doing so via your phone number alone and their/your cell provider.

iMessages are most definitely linked to your Apple ID, and somewhere in the guts of Apple your phone number is linked to an Apple ID. The question is, which Apple ID your replies are being sent to. See what Apple support comes up with.

wolfsbane58

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Meridian, ID
Seems to be an issue with folks with older phones. There are several of my friends that have iPhone 5 with the new IOS that are providing feedback indicating that they are sending messages and receiving notifications of deliveries, but that the message never gets to the intended users, many which are also iPhone owners.

BriOS

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Are you still able to send SMS messages to people? Are they able to send SMS replies back to you? (Hint: you and your correspondents can elect to send a message via SMS or iMessage by deliberate choice). If your correspondents can reply via SMS to you, they are doing so via your phone number alone and their/your cell provider.

iMessages are most definitely linked to your Apple ID, and somewhere in the guts of Apple your phone number is linked to an Apple ID. The question is, which Apple ID your replies are being sent to. See what Apple support comes up with.

Yes I can send SMS out to anyone. But if its to an iphone, then when they respond back, it goes as imessage and I never see it. Its in the engineer's hands now. Nothing I can do. I have done everything they have asked.

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2014
I just posted a thread about this (guess I should have searched first). Yesterday a friend of mine didn't get 4 of my iMessages, and she didn't get 2 of mine. I called Apple and they said it is not a known issue, nobody else has reported it, and that I should hard reset my phone and call back if it happens again.

In my case we were both getting each others' messages fine, then for several hours neither of us got them, and then all of the sudden we started getting new ones from each other (but the original lost ones we never got)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.