Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I tried out the 6 Plus and its too big. I also held the 6 and its also too big. I love the size of my iPhone 5. Is anyone hoping that the iPhone 5s gets updated to have the 6 internals with the S version. I really hope it does. I really loved that form factor. Its a shame they didn't update the 5S with 6/6+ internals.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
You'll get used to the screen size you just need to give it a bit more time. I do agree they should do an iPhone mini on the s cycle. Since the 6 isn't vastly different to the 5s there's no point having one now as the 5s is good enough for people.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
You'll get used to the screen size you just need to give it a bit more time. I do agree they should do an iPhone mini on the s cycle. Since the 6 isn't vastly different to the 5s there's no point having one now as the 5s is good enough for people.

4.7" is still too big for me.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I tried out the 6 Plus and its too big. I also held the 6 and its also too big. I love the size of my iPhone 5. Is anyone hoping that the iPhone 5s gets updated to have the 6 internals with the S version. I really hope it does. I really loved that form factor. Its a shame they didn't update the 5S with 6/6+ internals.

Sorry, OP, I don't think Apple will be doing this.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Will have to see, but i am not sure the market will support the 4" screen. Most users tend to be happy with the 4.7" being the smallest iPhone.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

I agree, although the problem for me is not so much the screen size but the device size. I simply do not want a cell phone device larger than my 5s.

But the real question is whether Apple sees a future for an iPhone the size of the 5/5s. If not, people better buy the 5s new while they can. If so, can we expect a 5ss, maybe with 6 capabilities and a screen size the entire face of the device? :)

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I was just at the T-Mobile store and I played with the 6 plus. Definitely feels like an iPad mini. I just bought the new iPad Air 2. It's just way too big to be used as a phone. I love my iPhone 5S experience at the gym. Its perfect for running and doing everything.

The iPhone 6 doesn't seem like any upgrade over the 5S.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I prefer my 6 over my 5s. I guess those wanting a smaller iPhone as soon as they get in they reach for an iPad or something bigger than their iPhone. I thought I would miss one handed use but to be honest the places I would use one handed are pretty anti social anyway so I'm kinda glad to leave them behind.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
The 4" phone screen ship has sailed. I would be shocked if we ever see a "mini" phone from Apple. I dont know if its a big enough market for Apple to get back into.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
If there was a 4" version offered in the next round, I'd definitely choose it over the larger sizes. I got the i6 and it's very nice but given the choice, I'd get a smaller phone. But I also agree that Apple doesn't seem likely to do this. Unfortunate. I've written to "Tim Cook" pleading for one in the next version. Highly unlikely it will have any impact whatsoever as I'm sure their road map is already planned but I just kind of felt like I needed to do it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Big screens sell. Apple is trying to make as much money as possible. I'm guessing they will sell the 5c and 5s until next September, and then maybe some variant of the 5s as a low end phone for one more year, and then everything will be 4.7" or larger.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX

Sorry. That ship done sailed. You want to blame someone? Blame Samsung, HTC, LG, etc for making huge phones the standard.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Big screens sell. Apple is trying to make as much money as possible. I'm guessing they will sell the 5c and 5s until next September, and then maybe some variant of the 5s as a low end phone for one more year, and then everything will be 4.7" or larger.

I have no problem with big phones selling. I just want the option to have the latest processor in the phone size I've been comfortable with for so long.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Totally agree. I'm going to be upgrading my 4S to a 5S because the 6 is just too big. Very disappointed in Apple.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
If there is sufficient demand in the market for a smaller phone, I could see Apple putting out a '6c' or whatever with a smaller screen. The question is whether or not there's sufficient demand, and I doubt there is.

I've learned to never say never when it comes to Apple. People thought they'd never do an iPad mini, never do an iPhone 'phablet', etc. - yet, there they are. Apple may have a 'roadmap', but they also pay attention to where the money is (and they'd be fools not to).

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Totally agree. I'm going to be upgrading my 4S to a 5S because the 6 is just too big. Very disappointed in Apple.

I preferred my 4s to my 5s. The 4s was a better size. If they put a 5s screen in a 4s body (edge to edge) then I may have a hard time saying no. Call it the Steve Jobs edition. It'll sell like crazy. Yes I know I should be working at apple :)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Sorry. That ship done sailed. You want to blame someone? Blame Samsung, HTC, LG, etc for making huge phones the standard.

No, blame the market for buying them. If people don't want big phones, then they won't buy them. The market has shown what it wants and now even Apple is moving that way.

----------

I have no problem with big phones selling. I just want the option to have the latest processor in the phone size I've been comfortable with for so long.

I may be wrong, but the 5s may be the closest you'll ever get to the latest processor in a size that's comfortable to you.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
No, blame the market for buying them. If people don't want big phones, then they won't buy them. The market has shown what it wants and now even Apple is moving that way.

----------

I may be wrong, but the 5s may be the closest you'll ever get to the latest processor in a size that's comfortable to you.

But what about next year? I'm sure it won't handle iOS 9 as smooth as the 6S+ will.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State

Maybe the next 4" iPhone 5 iteration will have an A8 with the iP 6 style bezels and curves.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I was just at the T-Mobile store and I played with the 6 plus. Definitely feels like an iPad mini. I just bought the new iPad Air 2. It's just way too big to be used as a phone. I love my iPhone 5S experience at the gym. Its perfect for running and doing everything.

The iPhone 6 doesn't seem like any upgrade over the 5S.

Well, there are a couple of features of the 6 I would like to have in the 5s, such as the chip that supports Apple Pay (although I can easily wait two years or more to play with that -- easier ways to spend money I don't need), and 802.11ac wireless. Neither of which are enough to get me to give up my 5s for the 6 now, however.

----------

The 4" phone screen ship has sailed. I would be shocked if we ever see a "mini" phone from Apple. I dont know if its a big enough market for Apple to get back into.

Umm, Apple is still in the market. Reports are that the 5s is still selling well.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Yes, there is room for a 4" phone

I bet that Apple will release a 4" model next year. Currently the 5s serves the purpose.

Here is my situation, and I bet a lot of people are in the same boat. I had a 5, and wanted to update. I did feel that I wanted a larger screen than the 5, but not sure about trade offs.

While I didn't think the 6+ would fit my lifestyle, I kept my mind open and tried it in the store. At home I made a cardboard cut out of both the 6 and 6+. After much consideration, I decided that the 6+ was not a device I would enjoy carrying and using for most of the things I want to do on a phone. Sure, the screen is big, but not enough to replace my iPad. Even though I never thought about it, I use my phone one handed more than half the time. I couldn't with the 6+. I can't sit down with the 6+ in my pocket which is too much of a hassle.

On the other hand, the 6 screen is a significant update from the 5 in term of size. Articles and books pages fit lot better , and I can read with one hand.

I do however feel that the 6 is a bit unwieldy compared to the 5, but the trade off is worth it for me.

But I am sure there are millions out there who would prefer a 6 in a 4" screen. I don't see why Apple would not make them next year. Would it be the 6 Mini or 6-?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.