Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DogCatMSMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Have a new iMac R5K. Have installed Parallels and was importing files into the Windows section, have hit a 67GB limit that Parallels recognizes as the Windows section. The Help pages for Parallels show things that don't exist in these menus to increase disk size. How does one increase disk size for Windows, will want to go at least 500GB? Thanks for any help.

nerowolfe

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
screenshot2014-11-23awzcpp.png

Via "Edit..."

DogCatMSMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
The problem is that no matter what I do the Edit button is always greyed out. I have a licensed copy of the latest version.

DogCatMSMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
No, its not locked. There are always messages above the Harware edit box saying things like 'To be able to change this page, resume the virtual machine and then shut it down.' I've tried opening Widows, then closing it in every combination I can think of with no change.

Reactions: hani14

DogCatMSMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for your help, I have an item in with Parallels, I'm going to call it quits for today.

nerowolfe

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
That's unusual. "Command + Q" followed by choosing shutdown should properly close the virtual machine, which allows PD to edit the size as desired.

1. Give the following a try. Locate the VM file and copy it, then paste it to another location. Add the new copy to PD using "open" and see if you can edit its size successfully.

2. Press "Command + R" and type "msconfig". Under "boot" and check off "safe boot" and leave it on "minimal". Press OK and restart. Once restarted, try shutting down the machine via "Command + Q" and choosing shut down. Give editing VM size a try.

bubbleboil

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
No, its not locked. There are always messages above the Harware edit box saying things like 'To be able to change this page, resume the virtual machine and then shut it down.' I've tried opening Widows, then closing it in every combination I can think of with no change.

Shut down the windows properly, then launch parallel without opening windows, right click on Yr window and configure.

DogCatMSMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Control + Q did it, guess it was not being shut down properly before. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.