Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Any ideas Whats prompted this email people? What does signing into iMessage even mean?

Your Apple ID (xxxxx@yahoo.com ) was used to sign in to iMessage on an iPhone 5s named “iPhone”.
Date and Time: 22 November 2014, 1:53 PM
If the information above looks familiar, you can disregard this email.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
it might be spam, but i would change your iCloud password straight away (and prob your email one if its the same)

Did you sign into an iPhone recently ?

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Any ideas Whats prompted this email people? What does signing into iMessage even mean?

Your Apple ID (xxxxx@yahoo.com ) was used to sign in to iMessage on an iPhone 5s named “iPhone”.

It is my understanding that it is an Apple security measure whenever you log in to any iCloud feature in a new browser or device. The email should also mention to disregard if it was actually YOU who initiated this action.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks guys. I updated to latest iOS tonight but didn't touch anything or sign in to anything. But updated many times before and never seen this one or had an email. Wouldn't know how or what signing into iMessage even was? I just send texts as normal and don't know what that is

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks guys. I updated to latest iOS tonight but didn't touch anything or sign in to anything. But updated many times before and never seen this one or had an email. Wouldn't know how or what signing into iMessage even was? I just send texts as normal and don't know what that is

After you did the update did it ask you for your iCloud password or Apple ID password as it was rebooting. If it did then it likely logged you into iMessages and perhaps also FaceTime. Check your settings.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
hi, didn't ask me for anything. Was smoothest update I think I've done in years, just downloaded via iTunes, then installed, and it was fine. I've updated to new iOs previously and gone through the whole logging in stuff, iCloud etc, but this just opened as if nothing had happened. Didn't need to do anything, As for iMessage, that has always just automatically appeared on texting if I'm texting someone else with an iPhone, Never physically logged into it

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Did you activate iMessage on your iPhone 5S ?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
No. As I said in previous emails I don't even know what that means? How do you activate it. I've been using it for years because if I'm texting someone with an iPhone it automatically comes up. But the answer is no I didn't activate it. It's just always on and if someone else has it it goes as an iMessage. Always has on all my iPhones historically. So please explain why I'd ever need to activate it. All I did was update to 8.1.1

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Does signing in to iMessage just mean I sent a text and it was to someone on another iphone?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
In the setting there is the option to activate or deactivate iMessage. Did you switched it on and off ?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
It is my understanding that it is an Apple security measure whenever you log in to any iCloud feature in a new browser or device. The email should also mention to disregard if it was actually YOU who initiated this action.

You are absolutely correct :)

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut
Even though it's never happened with any previous restores, I do believe the email is a result of your restore last night. Even if you didn't specifically get asked to type in your password on the phone to 'sign in' to iMessage, it still logged in using the password you already had saved for your Apple ID. Perhaps you never got the emails before because when you restored previously, Apple was not sending emails to notify of such actions.

I would not worry about it based on the timing of you actually doing a restore.

If you are worried, you could always set up two factor authentication and/or change your password. Though, if the email was a phishing attempt, it wouldn't do much good for them if you didn't click on any links it may have contained. I doubt that's what it is though.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks guys.

I'm not actually signed into iCloud on the phone. Never have been. I only back up in iTunes. The email said 1.53pm. I didn't update iOS till about 10pm but assume it's a time zone thing.

As an afterthought. Battery life even worse than before. If I start from scratch and restore phone to factory. Then restore from current back up will there be any point of risk of losing all? Is that what you guys call a clean install or is it not clean if it's from your saved back up and have to do all as new and manually.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.