Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Marketplace Archive 2

Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
leftbanke7
macrumors 6502a

WTB: G4 Upgrade

No longer looking for one. Thanks!

Last edited by leftbanke7; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:54 AM.
leftbanke7 is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2006, 05:20 AM   #2
iamme
macrumors newbie

UpGrade

Check out David's Site he is a Great Guy to do Business with
http://www.baucomcomputers.com/
iamme is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:11 AM   #3
iggyboy2
macrumors member

baucom is a bit high pricewise.

owc 1.0 ghz upgrade $229 (at owc it is 195)

Try provantage.com: sonnet 1 ghz upgrade was about $180 when I looked a few days ago
iggyboy2 is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:57 AM   #4
RumoredTone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbanke7
Looking to add a little oomph to my Digital Audio G4. What I'm kinda looking for:

Something around 1 Ghz.
Level 3 Cache would be cool but not a deal breaker.
No real preference between PowerLogix or Sonnet.
Something that won't crap out on me 2 weeks after I get it.
Obviously, something compatible with my comp with little to no effort on my part (read: plug and play). So, unless you can give me some really detailed instructions, I'd probably not want to go with a processor from a QS being, from what I understand, that they take a little screwing with to get functional in a D.A.

Price range: A brand new 1 Ghz upgrade from Sonnet goes for $200 so base your offers on that. I don't want to go over $200 shipped though (somewhat negotible).

Thanks for looking!

Hi there,

If you're interested, I have the processor from a Power Mac G4 933 (Quicksilver). This includes the CPU board and heatsink. It's a 7455-generation G4 with a full 2MB of L3 cache.

I know you were worried about making it work in a DA, but I also have a custom 12V adapter that I made to apply voltage to the 4th mounting post - this allows the processor to be installed in older G4 towers (Digital Audio, Gigabit Ethernet, and probably Sawtooth). This has been tested in my Digital Audio model and works without a problem. All you need to do is plug it in to a spare Molex power plug in your DA (you should have one free as long as you don't have more than 2 HDs in there, but even if you do, I made my adapter out of a molex y-splitter, so it shouldn't be a problem). Here's a pic of how it plugs-in and screws onto the processor board (from someone who did it with a GB Ethernet G4):

-- http://homepage.mac.com/josephk/G4pi..._connector.jpg

It would be slightly different for you, since the DA's processor is on a different part of the motherboard, but its the same idea.

The only other consideration is you may want to add a Quicksilver CPU fan or something since the Quicksilvers had rear-mounted CPU fans whereas the Digital Audios didn't. I ran it for a while in my DA without a fan, and the heatsink never got anything more than warm, but still: to remain true to stock cooling specs, I would suggest adding the fan. I imagine you can pick up a Quicksilver CPU fan and rubber shroud for $15-25 or so. I think Smalldog.com had them for a good price when last I was looking into it.

I would only ask $125 shipped for the whole package (CPU, heatsink,12v adapter). Let me know if you're interested. And either way, good luck! I have a DA and love it!

Thanks,
-Tone

Last edited by RumoredTone; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:02 AM.
RumoredTone is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:54 AM   #5
leftbanke7
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the info and offers but I have already purchsed an upgrade.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Ryan T.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks for all the info and offers but I have already purchsed an upgrade.
Out of curiosity, what'd you buy/how much?

I'm still looking to upgrade.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 04:00 PM   #7
leftbanke7
macrumors 6502a

I bought that dual 867 set up that briangig had up for sale this week. Since I do a lot of video editing and all that, I figured that the dual 867s would be a better buy than a single 1G. Gotta love dual processor aware apps!
Old Feb 25, 2006, 04:09 PM   #8
Ryan T.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I bought that dual 867 set up that briangig had up for sale this week. Since I do a lot of video editing and all that, I figured that the dual 867s would be a better buy than a single 1G. Gotta love dual processor aware apps!
ah. unfortunately my sawtooth isn't compatible with dualies.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 06:42 PM   #9
happyflowers
macrumors newbie

Baucom Computers Horror

David Baucom seems to be a nice fellow when you can get a hold of him, but here is my experience.

Baucom Computers is the worst company I have ever done business with! They package their machines as if they were no more than old clothing being sent to the Salvation Army! Avoid Baucom Computers at all costs. When asked for insurance, they insured only half the value of the actual selling price. When I received the machine it was in total disarray: the screen was scratched to hell, the case was broken, and several components did not work. When I tried to contact them, which was a nightmare, they took their sweet time in resolving the problem. It has been several months and I'm stuck with this twenty pound paperweight. If your desperate to throw your money away stay away from Baucom Computers, go to Las Vegas, your odds will be better.
happyflowers is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:18 AM   #10
tbrinkma
macrumors 65832

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't start a new thread in the Marketplace just yet...

I'm looking for a CPU upgrade for a Sawtooth G4 I recently got as a backup system. I just bought a 733MHz card pulled from a Digital Audio, but it turns out the DA cards were longer, and the IDE connector on the Sawtooth interfears with it, so it doesn't work.

I'd like to get back at least *most* of what I paid for it ($85 w/shipping) if I can, but I'm also willing to trade for a similar speed CPU that will work in a Sawtooth (too early a revision for a dual cpu card).

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Marketplace Archive 2