Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montego335

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Im trying to transfer my files (photos, contacts, text messages. etc) from my previous iphone 5 onto my new iphone 6. I tried via icloud but I was unable to backup the data because it exceeded 5gb. I then tried using itunes but when I connected the iphone 6 it will not allow me to select the most recent backup and would only let me select backups from months ago. It sucks cause only my contacts were able to be transferred. I was wondering could this be happening because my iphone 5 was 32gigs and my new 6 is 16 gigs?

aemedic

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
Patrick AFB, FL
I can't speak directly to your issue but I will say that I was able to use iTunes to utilize a secure backup from my 32g iPhone 4 to my 128g 6+ with no issues.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Is your 5 on a newer version of iOS than your 6? Can't restore a backup from a newer version of iOS onto an older version. I'm not sure what 6's are shipping with today, so if you'd upgraded the 5 to 8.1.1 and the 6 came with 8.1.0 that might create the issue.

If the iOS versions are off, update the 6 by initially setting it up as new, then do the iOS upgrade, and then restore-from-backup via iTunes.

The 32gb / 16gb could also be a problem if it isn't an iOS version mismatch. What's you free space on the 5 and how much is taken up by photos & videos?

BTW you know you can get 20GB of iCloud storage space for 99 cents a month, yes? I know that $12 a year is a lot of money to some people, but by watching Slickdeals.net and getting itunes gift cards at 20% discount you can pare that cost to a less burdensome $9.50 a year.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I was wondering could this be happening because my iphone 5 was 32gigs and my new 6 is 16 gigs?

Most likely yes... If you want to restore the backup from your other phone, you should back it up, then remove everything that you can live without... backup pictures then delete them as well. After you remove all the stuff you can do without, backup the phone again and retry the restore. You will need to keep removing things until the restore works on the 16GB phone.

Of course, the best option would be to return the 16GB phone and get the 64GB phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.