Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lux12

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Since i have unlimited texting, i do not really need iMessage right now so i turned iMessage off. But now i cant receive messages by people when they send as iMessage. How do i receive all incoming messages as SMS?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Since i have unlimited texting, i do not really need iMessage right now so i turned iMessage off. But now i cant receive messages by people when they send as iMessage. How do i receive all incoming messages as SMS?

Why bother turning iMessage off? There's no benefit to only SMS, might as well use iMessage with other iPhone users and SMS with all others, right?

Also, what about those with iPhones that do not have unlimited texting and are wanting to use iMessage with you and are now being charged with text messages.

Last edited:

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut

Those people who try to iMessage you unsuccessfully need to go into their message settings and make sure 'Send as SMS' is enable. Then when it fails to send you an iMessage, it will revert to standard text and you'll get it. This is something everyone else will need to do, for you. There's no option YOU can do to force THEIR phone to do this.*

Alternatively, you can simply leave iMessage turned on and reap the benefits of it. It really is a lot better than standard SMS.

*There is technically... but I'm not telling you! :) You have an iPhone. Utilize its features, don't castrate it. :D

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I think the OP forgot to mention whether or not he has any significant amount of data caps on his plan.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Why bother turning iMessage off? There's no benefit to only SMS, might as well use iMessage with other iPhone users and SMS with all others, right?

Also, what about those with iPhones that do not have unlimited texting and are wanting to use iMessage with you and are now being charged with text messages.

Those people who try to iMessage you unsuccessfully need to go into their message settings and make sure 'Send as SMS' is enable. Then when it fails to send you an iMessage, it will revert to standard text and you'll get it. This is something everyone else will need to do, for you. There's no option YOU can do to force THEIR phone to do this.*

Alternatively, you can simply leave iMessage turned on and reap the benefits of it. It really is a lot better than standard SMS.

*There is technically... but I'm not telling you! :) You have an iPhone. Utilize its features, don't castrate it. :D

iMessage is more annoying than it's worth, and I've turned if off too. I really don't want to see the "…" and stare at the phone waiting for the message to come in -- if it ever does -- and I don't want other people seeing and waiting on the "…" from my end.

I have no problems texting with other iphone users who do use imessage, and I'd be surprised if every single one of them had the settings properly enabled (unless it's the default setting).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
iMessage is more annoying than it's worth, and I've turned if off too. I really don't want to see the "…" and stare at the phone waiting for the message to come in -- if it ever does -- and I don't want other people seeing and waiting on the "…" from my end.

I have no problems texting with other iphone users who do use imessage, and I'd be surprised if every single one of them had the settings properly enabled (unless it's the default setting).

That's like comparing a VCR to a BluRay or DVR.
You should research at least some of the advantages and pros of iMesssages over regular 1994 tech such as SMS text messages.
Its not just to stare at the "....."

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
That's like comparing a VCR to a BluRay or DVR.
You should research at least some of the advantages and pros of iMesssages over regular 1994 tech such as SMS text messages.
Its not just to stare at the "....."

Why don't you just tell me the supposed advantages right now?

I have unlimited data. I've used both. I found the dots included with the "…" to be annoying on both ends. I've noticed no decline in either the reliability or timing once I turned it off.

If you've got a rebuttal to that, let's hear it.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I have unlimited data. I've used both. I found the dots included with the "…" to be annoying on both ends. I've noticed no decline in either the reliability or timing once I turned it off.

The people you're texting may not have unlimited texts. Also, if you're ever in a place with bad reception but that you have wifi, iMessage will work while regular SMS would not.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007

Huh, there's no such thing as unlimited data on current plans available in North America. I assume you're not from North America, or that you have a grandfathered plan.

Honestly, having used iMessage before, the "…" was the least of my concerns. What was is that it didn't work reliably, meaning that if I needed or the recipient switched phones, there wasn't always a SMS backup sent at the same time, leading to no message being sent or received. SMS/MMS is still the most reliable, even if it comes with many limitations.

The people you're texting may not have unlimited texts. Also, if you're ever in a place with bad reception but that you have wifi, iMessage will work while regular SMS would not.
Unlimited text is far more common than unlimited data. And it's also far easier to find a 1-bar cell signal than it is to find a reliable wifi when you're on the go. In low-reception areas, SMS work so much better than anything data-based.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

I got better things to do.
If you really want to know the advantages and features of imessages over regular texts at least educate yourself on the topic instead of arguing without having a clue.

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut
Huh, there's no such thing as unlimited data on current plans available in North America. I assume you're not from North America, or that you have a grandfathered plan.

Sprint offers unlimited data. I believe T-Mobile does as well, but they throttle after a few gigs if I remember correctly. Well, Sprint may throttle as well but it's not usage based per se. I'm a top tier bandwidth user and I don't get throttled because the tower I'm on is never congested.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013

I think I've only experienced the opposite. When using imesage in the past, bad reception turned imessages into regular texts.

If the people I'm texting don't have unlimited texts and are worried about it, they can ask me to turn it on for them. But I don't think I know many people who don't have unlimited texting.

Honestly, having used iMessage before, the "…" was the least of my concerns. What was is that it didn't work reliably, meaning that if I needed or the recipient switched phones, there wasn't always a SMS backup sent at the same time, leading to no message being sent or received. SMS/MMS is still the most reliable, even if it comes with many limitations.

Unlimited text is far more common than unlimited data. And it's also far easier to find a 1-bar cell signal than it is to find a reliable wifi when you're on the go. In low-reception areas, SMS work so much better than anything data-based.

So you have additional reasons why imessage is inferior to SMS beyond the "…" annoyance. That's fine with me.:)

I may not have unlimited "data", correct, but I definitely have unlimited text.

In low-reception areas, SMS work so much better than anything data-based.

I believe it, given my own experiences.

I got better things to do.

Do you? You've already spent your time composing two posts saying imesage is better than SMS without offfering any argument to back it up.

So do you really have better things to do? Or can we expect some more non-informative posts from you saying you don't have the time to defend your position?

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
And don't forget that considering how power-hungry iPhones are, a SMS is more likely to go through even at 3% battery than a data-based message, let alone a call.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Do you? You've already spent your time composing two posts saying imesage is better than SMS without offfering any argument to back it up.

So do you really have better things to do? Or can we expect some more non-informative posts from you saying you don't have the time to defend your position?

Its not my responsibility to educate you unless you're willing to pay me for my service. Im willing to help people that want to help themselves but not the ignorant ones that don't want to help themselves.
Its not my fault you're too lazy to research instead of asking random people to explain to you what imessages are and do better. Why would I need to defend my position?
You are right, iMessages are just to stare at the "....":rolleyes:

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
The iMessage/SMS thing really annoys me, if you're forced to send a SMS - if you have no 3G/Wifi or whatever, it rarely revers back to iMessage.

I wish there was the option to hold down and send a SMS as an iMessage and a iMessage as SMS for every message you send.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Its not my responsibility to educate you unless you're willing to pay me for my service.

Sounds like a guy who dosn't have an argument. Face it. You didn't realize that imesage was more trouble than it was worth until you stumbled on this thread. We're the ones educating you here.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Lol:D
Sure, imessage has no advantages over sms and its just more trouble.
You all caught me stumbling.:D
Also vinyl records are way better than digital music and telegraphs work better than email:D
I love clueless people.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Lol:D
Sure, imessage has no advantages over sms and its just more trouble.
You all caught me stumbling.:D
Also vinyl records are way better than digital music and telegraphs work better than email:D
I love clueless people.

Can't beat a good bit of vinyl ;) lol

Anyway op....

iMessage is better than sms. One main reason is sending pictures for example. But hey your right the old 90's Sms can't be beaten (in YOUR opinion)

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Can't beat a good bit of vinyl ;) lol

Anyway op....

iMessage is better than sms. One main reason is sending pictures for example. But hey your right the old 90's Sms can't be beaten (in YOUR opinion)

We've given you reasons why we like SMS. The other poster isn't able to offer even one reason why imessage is better, and all you're saying is "sending pictures" is better. But how and why? No reason offered.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
We've given you reasons why we like SMS. The other poster isn't able to offer even one reason why imessage is better, and all you're saying is "sending pictures" is better. But how and why? No reason offered.
The other poster like me is dumbfounded as to why you've not done any research yourself!

Pictures sent via iMessage do not cost you the mms charge that most networks carry nor does it scale the picture down in the way an mms does!

I could say encryption too. Do I need to explain that too?

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

Some people don't have a message plan. I know some people who have requested I don't ever send text messages to them because it costs them money. I don't really have a choice to turn of iMessage, otherwise they don't receive my messages.

Alternatively, those people could use Whatsapp, Kik, Facebook Messenger or other messaging services.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
The other poster like me is dumbfounded as to why you've not done any research yourself!

Pictures sent via iMessage do not cost you the mms charge that most networks carry nor does it scale the picture down in the way an mms does!

I could say encryption too. Do I need to explain that too?

I don't care about picture scaling, or encryption, and I have unlimited texting and plenty of data. So why would I want to put up with those stupit dots and the other drawbacks of imessage?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I don't care about picture scaling, or encryption, and I have unlimited texting and plenty of data. So why would I want to put up with those stupit dots and the other drawbacks of imessage?

Of Course, why would you care about any added features?
They're bad:D
You don't make any sense.
If anyone sends you a video or picture its scaled down, shrinked to barely viewable and pixelated version with MMS.
So instead of being able to see an actual clean pic or video MMS will shrink it to a fraction of its data amount and serve it to you in a crappy lower quality copy of what the original one was. And in most cases if the video is too big or long it wont even send with mms.
With iMessage you will get full quality not scaled down version of anything people send to you. Also your text message will not be cut off if you pass a certain amount of characters. There is no character limitation with imesssages.
Imessages are free and that's also a big plus wether you have a text package or not. Many people out there dont and have dropped it all together. Also many use imessage on their macs, ipads, ipod touches and other devices that dont have a carrier text plan available. Those can also communicate for free internationally without paying any international text charges. Send, delivered and read receipts are also available something that regular sms doesnt offer. If it does not manage to deliver as an IM it will default to SMS after 300 seconds.
Highly encrypted and secure.
Deliver reliably and faster than regular sms or mms that many times get lost and never arrive to the recipients phone at all!

Even for consumers with unlimited texting as part of their plan, iMessage features several benefits. The fact that is automatic and fully integrated into Apple’s OS means that a lot of people who would never download a separate messaging app will use the feature, often without even realizing it.

You can add extra email so contacts can use these to reach you via iMessage; messages will all go to your phone and any linked devices, but people won’t need to know your phone number.

This also makes life easier if you’re headed overseas and plan to swap your SIM to an international one to avoid roaming fees - although you’ll have a different phone number, you’ll still receive iMessages sent to your email or Apple ID. And of course, you’ll obviously save on the cost of text messaging back home (assuming you’ve got a good deal on data use, or are using free Wi-Fi).

Small quirks, such as the ability to see if someone has read your message and at what time, and the appearance of a grey ‘thought bubble’ letting you know when someone is composing a reply, are a nice touch when carrying on a long conversation.

- Messages are sync'd between all your (Apple ecosystem) devices
- you can read/respond on your desktop or a wifi-only iDevice
- Optional read receipts (message is marked Delivered)
- Messages can be sent to email addresses instead of phone numbers, making it immune to phone number changes
- If traveling internationally, you can iMessage over wifi and not worry about international SMS charges.
Imessages will keep improving where SMS/MMS is old outdated technology that will not improve any further and will eventually be abandoned.

Attachments

• pixels_bad_quality.png
    pixels_bad_quality.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.