Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I tried to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro Mid-2010 13 inch laptop. I soon found out that the optical drive in the laptop no longer works and is beyond repair (without sending it out for repairs). I have tried every troubleshooting tips Apple Support and MacRumors has to offer (editing Bootcamp plist for USB, using ReFit), but to no avail. I know it is possible to buy an Apple Superdrive for ~$70, but those are not compatible with my computer without changing a .plist. Is it possible to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp on a Mac compatible external usb optical drive?

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
You have the option to install windows, using a USB drive. This is a manual from Apple and it says the following;

To install Windows with a USB flash drive, you need the following:
• An ISO image of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, or Windows 8 Pro, downloaded from Microsoft.
• A USB flash drive that is 8 GB or larger.
Boot Camp Assistant erases the flash drive and copies the Windows ISO and support software to it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
What OS are you running on your Mac?

It doesn't matter, Macs that shipped with an optical drive will not boot a windows USB.

OP, why don't you buy an optical drive from ifixit and swap your defective one out? It takes all of 5 minutes if you have the correct screwdrivers on hand.

mdo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
OP, why don't you buy an optical drive from ifixit and swap your defective one out? It takes all of 5 minutes if you have the correct screwdrivers on hand.
Bought an LG External Optical Drive today, works fine. Im going to be buying a new computer within a year or so since im going to be graduating soon. Got windows 7 installed today.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
It doesn't matter, Macs that shipped with an optical drive will not boot a windows USB.

because 90 bucks for a DVD drive is a rip off, especially as you can pick up a generic external that will work for $20

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
If Macs with optical drive cant boot form usb, why doesn't apple mention it? I tried it and yes mine doesn't have the option but apple doesn't say it in their document! And I think it's stupid that apple doesn't allow install using usb!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
If Macs with optical drive cant boot form usb, why doesn't apple mention it? I tried it and yes mine doesn't have the option but apple doesn't say it in their document! And I think it's stupid that apple doesn't allow install using usb!

Can't boot Windows installation from USB, the rest'll work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.