Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snasha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Hello,

I got Screenflow 5 a couple days ago. I started a test recording while playing some games, and I noticed my fan started to go up. It was okay, until it reached max, and it stayed there the entire time. I did notice however, whenever I switched to something else, like Finder, the fan slowed down.

First, I tried using smcFanControl, but that didn't work. Next, I went to Preferences and set a Custom Scratch disk, which didn't work either.

Then I tried looking at Activity Monitor while recording, and I noticed that the recorder was using a lot of CPU, but only about 40 MB of RAM. So then I got this app called App Police which basically lets you limit the CPU usage by a program. I limited it too 100%. It didn't make the fans as high this time, but when I finished recording, I looked at it, and it messed up everything: the audio, and the frames.

Basically I'm at a loss here, and I really don't know much about RAM or CPU or what exactly causes fans to go off, but I would appreciate it if you could help me. Thanks.

Computer Specs:

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Late 2012)
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
1. Don't limit the CPU when you are using a CPU-intensive app such as Screen Flow. That will probably lengthen the time it takes to complete.
2. If there's a high-CPU app running, you should expect the CPU temps to increase, usually resulting in higher fan speeds (until it cools down after the CPU-intense activity is done)
3. This is all pretty normal. Keep your MacBook Pro cool by keeping it on a hard surface (not on a soft pad, for example). You might even try one of the various coolpads that are sold for use with laptops.
4. Fans running at high speed will make extra noise. That's normal, too! Don't block the cooling air vents.

Pudlo

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
Screen Flow is pretty CPU intensive app.
When you are in finder there is not too much to record for screen flow (not many pixels are changing) but when you play, Screen flow has to record all the pixels so it's obvious it will use whole cpu possible.
And remember Screen flow is recording 2800x1800. It's a lot of data.

If you don't play in full res (2800x1800) you can just before you start the game switch OS X resolution to that in game (without hdpi, just use switchres or other app and set 1920x1200 or some lower) and start the game.
There is no point to record higher res than that in game. It will help i think.

Snasha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Ok thanks guys. I'll try lowering the resolution while gaming, because I did think that a 4K resolution would be a lot XD

Snasha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Ok, I tried to lower the screen resolution, but it was still going to about 5000RPM. I do know that if a program uses more RAM, the CPU usage will decrease a little. And Screenflow is only using about 40 MB of RAM at the moment, so is there any way for it to possibly use more? Because I have 16 GB of RAM installed currently.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.