Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I will be purchasing CS6 Master Collection from the USA and will be using it in Europe. I would like to know what things must i be careful of when purchasing such a product and what should i ask the seller of, so that i will avoid to encounter any bad surprises for eg. activation, hyphenation or any other things that would a product from a foreign country would cause me!

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
why not CC ?
it's fairly cheap and full of goodies.

If you buy from abroad and used there is always a (big?) chance of counterfeits and other illegal snaz. (I still remember Autodesk managed to close an eBayer selling used Autodesk licenses)

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
dan1eln1el5en,

Your post wasn't very helpful other than to push Adobe's subscription model. For some people the subscription model isn't a bad deal but for a good deal many, it is much more expensive than it used to be. The "lots of goodies" comment is almost as silly as Adobe's pricing. Most people don't need all of the apps that Adobe makes and yet with CC you are paying for the option of using them all (even if you don't want need or want them). I too like Zoran would like to hear people's advice about buying downloaded copies of CS 6.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
If its brand new and sealed what are you worried about?

My apologies. I misinterpreted your use of the word "remotely" in the post title to mean "via download". Purchasing and downloading Adobe software without going through Adobe is simply asking to be robbed.

I don't have any specific advice regarding a new, unopened package. I do seem to recall that when I purchased my CS6, the disks initiated a download from Adobe of some files, and I would be curious if Adobe is still supporting CS6 in that way.

Also, make sure the package license is not for the education market (unless you can prove you are a student or educator). Verify that it is the full, professional license.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Also, make sure the package license is not for the education market (unless you can prove you are a student or educator). Verify that it is the full, professional license.
Thats the kind of advice im looking for. Should thre be anything else to check out for? Thanx again!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thats the kind of advice im looking for. Should thre be anything else to check out for? Thanx again!

Another thing you can watch for is that you are not buying the "Upgrade" version and it is the full retail version. Unless you only require an upgrade, then make sure you get the proper upgrade version.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Another thing you can watch for is that you are not buying the "Upgrade" version and it is the full retail version. Unless you only require an upgrade, then make sure you get the proper upgrade version.
Upgrade? Arent upgrades just downloaded online? What do you mean by upgrades?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Upgrade? Arent upgrades just downloaded online? What do you mean by upgrades?

Upgrades are when you are going from one version to another. Say from version "CS4 to CS6" or "CS5.5 to CS6" as examples. No they are not just done online. They could be purchased as a disc set which is what I did when I went from CS5 to CS6.

This was cheaper for me to do since I already owned CS4 Full Retail. The price between Full Retail and Upgrade was vastly different, but you had to own a previous Full Retail version of CS to take advantage of the discount price of the Upgrade set. The Full Retail version from Adobe was approx. $2700 US, where as the Upgrade version was approx. $600 US.

So be careful you do not buy an "Upgrade" disc set unless you have a previous Full Retail version or it will be useless to you because as soon as you go to install, it will ask for the Full Retail version license and unless you have one, it will not install for you.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Wow!!! Now this explains why i find in ebay Adobe CS6 in very low prices where as there are others that cost twice as much! So those cheap CS6 must be upgrade versions, to use if one has a full CS5 version and wants to upgrade to CS6 right?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Wow!!! Now this explains why i find in ebay Adobe CS6 in very low prices where as there are others that cost twice as much! So those cheap CS6 must be upgrade versions, to use if one has a full CS5 version and wants to upgrade to CS6 right?

Sometimes yes. Sometimes they will be pirated copies copies though. You really need to ask the seller all the right questions before buying. You can find reasonable prices but you need to be careful. You always have Ebay and Paypal Buyer Protection.

Ask the seller if it is the Full Retail Version and if it comes with 2 Licenses. This is getting harder to come by as people are opposed to Adobe's subscription plan that they currently go by. It may take you some time to find it (several months even), but do not rush into it.

Are you aware there are different version as well? Master Collection, Design Premium, Design Standard and Production Premium, all of which include different parts of Adobe's programs. You may not need the Master Collection which is the most expensive and can save some money with a lesser version.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Sometimes yes. Sometimes they will be pirated copies copies though. You really need to ask the seller all the right questions before buying. You can find reasonable prices but you need to be careful. You always have Ebay and Paypal Buyer Protection.
What might be the right questions so i can protect myself?

Ask the seller if it is the Full Retail Version and if it comes with 2 Licenses.
Why 2 licences? Shouldnt there be only one?

Are you aware there are different version as well? Master Collection, Design Premium, Design Standard and Production Premium, all of which include different parts of Adobe's programs.
Yes i am aware. Im just not sure which version is the most complete. Is it the Master Collection the one that can be compared with CC that has all the apps?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Sometimes yes. Sometimes they will be pirated copies copies though. ....

the presence of counterfeit copies of Adobe products has long been a problem when buying online.

The bait is usually an extremely low price

the problem is that somebody selling you a counterfeit copy is going to lie when responding to your questions

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
the problem is that somebody selling you a counterfeit copy is going to lie when responding to your questions
If he is a seller in ebay, isn't he worried that i will make a report and rate him low?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Why 2 licences? Shouldnt there be only one?

Yes i am aware. Im just not sure which version is the most complete. Is it the Master Collection the one that can be compared with CC that has all the apps?

Ask if it is the Full Retail Version. Is it a legitimate copy. And the Product Number. Do they offer a money back guarantee. If they hesitate to answer or incorrectly answer any of those questions, do not purchase. Make sure you get a Transfer Of License if the software was ever used. If it is new, then the TOL is not required. From what I can see on Ebay currently a single license is selling for about $1000 US and a new 2 license set is around $1300-1500 US.

All of Adobe's CS6 software came with 2 license's so that you could install it on 2 of your computers. Some people will install one license and then sell the other one for a cheaper price to save some money. Another reason why some are cheaper.

Yes the Master Collection was the complete software set. It included all software Adobe had available at the time. CC is different than the Master Collection in that all the software is current in CC and there are additional software available in CC that did not exist at the time CS6 was around.

I have CS6 Master Collection and it is still very usable. I refuse to go to CC and pay subscription prices. Any of the additional software that is included in CC, I do not need.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
If he is a seller in ebay, isn't he worried that i will make a report and rate him low?

Not if he's selling you counterfeit products. He'll just open a new account under a different name when negative ratings start appearing

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What should i be careful of if the seller will not send me a shrink wrapped box of the product, but instead an OEM disk (or a link to download the files) and the serial number after the money transfer for purchase?
How can i be certain that after purchase seller sends what he claims?
Might there be any other catches to be careful of?

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
From your last thread, I would stay well away.
'A link to a download' most definitely sounds dodgy (if the seller is offering a download link, this will probably be sold to numerous people).
As mentioned earlier, if it sounds to good, it usually is (dodgy).
You may also find when you install it, that it is already registered with someone else.

Adobe software is renowned for being copied, try and stick with a trusted source, i.e. Amazon or a Professional software reseller.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
From your last thread, I would stay well away.
'A link to a download' most definitely sounds dodgy (if the seller is offering a download link, this will probably be sold to numerous people).
As mentioned earlier, if it sounds to good, it usually is (dodgy).
You may also find when you install it, that it is already registered with someone else.

Adobe software is renowned for being copied, try and stick with a trusted source, i.e. Amazon or a Professional software reseller.
What if the seller guarantees that i will be the first to activate!
Also, i believe that the link is to download the software, but then the seller sends the activation codes and serial numbers etc.

Actually has anyone done this to just get a link with the software and then place a serial number and activate it? If someone has done it, plz tel me what codes are needed?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
What if the seller guarantees that i will be the first to activate!

That's probably what they guarantee everyone else too. If that's how your getting it stay far away. It's likely pirated software, and if you're wanting that get it for free or pay for a real copy somewhere else.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Listen to the advice being given here. It is well advised. The only way I would buy it was if it was the physical boxed set and had never been opened. Plus from a reputable seller either through a credit card or Paypal so that I had some protection to fall back on.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
dan1eln1el5en,

Your post wasn't very helpful other than to push Adobe's subscription model. For some people the subscription model isn't a bad deal but for a good deal many, it is much more expensive than it used to be. The "lots of goodies" comment is almost as silly as Adobe's pricing. Most people don't need all of the apps that Adobe makes and yet with CC you are paying for the option of using them all (even if you don't want need or want them). I too like Zoran would like to hear people's advice about buying downloaded copies of CS 6.

You do realize the subscription is far cheaper than buying it outright correct? It would take over 4 years in order for CC to equal the price of buying CS6 outright.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You do realize the subscription is far cheaper than buying it outright correct? It would take over 4 years in order for CC to equal the price of buying CS6 outright.
For someone that is not planning to upgrade for a long time, isn’t it worth it?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
For someone that is not planning to upgrade for a long time, isn’t it worth it?

I personally do not think so.

Adobe stops releasing updates after so long and that includes supports for newer OSs. Mac OS updates yearly and Windows is now trying to follow a similar pattern (they already stated this was their goal). With both of the OS's Adobe CS runs on updating frequently it's not worth it.

I know many people don't update OSs often but with more and more software companies abandoning support for older OSs people are going to have to update more frequently than they have in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.