Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
This weekend I was at the Galleria mall in Roseville, CA where I notice serval vending machine with NFC capabilities. I tried to buy a soda for a friend showing him how Apple pay works. However, the transaction was not authorized and didn't go through.

Any idea of why it didn't work? On my iPhone it showed that transaction went through and then when I check my bank account no pending charges showed

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I was at the Vacaville outlets on the way to SF after a party in Roseville, and those machines also wouldn't accept any of the cards we had in our Apple Pay... but I've read in the past here on MR that some people have success with vending machines while others don't. So I wasn't too concerned and assumed it's just one of those ones that don't work.

It's just weird because in theory it should work. Right?

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
Just because it's NFC doesn't mean that it's ready for Apple pay. It all depends on who owns the machine.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Unless someone else tried with google wallet (or some other NFC based thing) I would say its more likely an issue with the vending machine and not Apple Pay.

Would a POS terminal even know if its apple pay vs google wallet?

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I've used Apple Pay at the vending machines at work just fine. Tried ones at the mall, didn't work :(.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My guess is that while the vending machines have NFC readers, they're not fully (or correctly) activated by the machines' owners. Perhaps the machines have no access to data lines.

We have a few vending machines at work with NFC readers. They say nothing regarding "Apple Pay" yet they work perfectly with iPhone 6 Plus.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
The vending machines at my job accepts Apple Pay but have a sign that says they do not accept Debit MasterCard. I switched to a Visa card and it worked. Try changing the card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.