Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sicdeath

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I requested an unlock for my iPhone 6 thru my carrier and just received an email saying to restore the phone and I will see the unlock message. I don't want to update my ios, is there a way around this? I am running iPhone 6 with ios 8.0

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
The restore issue is stupid. You don't have to restore it. When you put the SIM card the phone will go to activation sequence and it'll work.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Like the others said.
The restore process is old and Apple eliminated the need years ago.
I don't know why carriers provide those old pointless instructions still.
All they have to say is its unlocked, stick any gsm sim and connect to wifi and it will activate and work.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I requested an unlock for my iPhone 6 thru my carrier and just received an email saying to restore the phone and I will see the unlock message. I don't want to update my ios, is there a way around this? I am running iPhone 6 with ios 8.0

Why the hell don't you want to update your iOS? You're not afraid of being left out of security updates and performance improvements?

sicdeath

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Like the others said.
The restore process is old and Apple eliminated the need years ago.
I don't know why carriers provide those old pointless instructions still.
All they have to say is its unlocked, stick any gsm sim and connect to wifi and it will activate and work.

Thanks! I was able to get it unlocked like you said. I also got the unlock message on itunes once I connected it afterwards. Also, if I do upgrade it to ios 9 in the future, will my phone become locked again?

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014

since iPhone 5, you no longer need to restore the iPhone, All you need to do:

A) Connect to WiFi (if using unofficial iPhone carrier = Carrier that does not sell iPhone's in its lineup)

or

B) Insert SIM and enjoy :)

Only iPhone's that require restore = iPhone 4S and older (in most cases, sometime work just fine but mostly do require restore)

Any factory unlock = you can upgrade/update iOS all you wish to, it will not get re-locked.

cuongnq

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2014
Last time I request my iPhone 5 AT&T unlock, they response mail said unlocked, only need insert other sim or restore. But I tried all way, new sim doesn't work. So check few time in other place and it's said locked (some check take fee). I decided call AT&T again and ask they double check, then a mail said my request is approved but last guy didn't do unlock for my iphone.

So I think you double check your phone unlock status, if it's still locked ask your carrier again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.