Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple renewed its maps and search partnership with Google in 2010, but with that contract reportedly set to end in 2015, both Yahoo and Microsoft are actively vying to be the next default search provider for Apple's Safari products, reports The Information.

Both Microsoft and Yahoo have existing relationships with Apple, with Yahoo providing stock data to iOS and Microsoft supplying Siri with Bing search results. Executives from both companies have reportedly already approached Eddy Cue, Apple's Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services, about a potential agreement that could see one of them displace Google to become the default search engine for iOS devices and Macs. There is no indication Apple has made any decision which company, if any, will replace Google.

yahoo-microsoftb.jpg
Yahoo has approached Apple in the past about expanding their relationship on mobile, although things moved in the opposite direction with iOS 8 as Apple cut out middle-man Yahoo for weather data and instead began sourcing data directly from The Weather Channel.

Yahoo has also reportedly been working on a revamp of its mobile search in hopes of landing an agreement with Apple to be the default search provider on iOS, but for now the companies are still in the discussion stages as Apple's deal with Google remains in effect for the time being.

Microsoft was said to be in the running for the 2010 deal with its Bing services, but Apple ultimately opted to extend its deal with Google that has seen Apple reportedly receiving in excess of $1 billion per year.

Article Link: Yahoo and Microsoft Court Apple as Google's Safari Search Engine Deal Expires in 2015

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
As long as it's easy to change it back to whatever I want I don't really care

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
Honestly, if Bing or Yahoo provides better search results than Google, or if I can change it back to Google if it's not, I'm perfectly fine with the change.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've always hated that word used in this sense.."court." It makes it sound like some kind of dirty ritual.

I guess it could also mean they're taking them out to dinner...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since Apple is using Bing for some things, I think, we'll see maybe a partnership with MS on this.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
As long as it's easy to change it back to whatever I want I don't really care

Exactly. I've tried Bing, Yahoo and numerous others .. they do not compare with the accuracy I get using Google Search.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
I don't give a yahoo long as it's not Yahoo! There are not many domains I truly dislike but Yahoo is on my list. They don't do anything remotely useful in my life.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm not tied to Google, but last time I tried Yahoo and Bing (which was a good year ago) neither was as accurate or useful as Google to me. Plus, I hate how Yahoo opens selections in new tabs automatically and doesn't remember your preference unless you stay signed in to your Yahoo account.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I have been using Bing as my default search on my Mac for 1.5 years now.

The thing about search is you never know if it's worse or better since to check that you have to do the same search with google every time, and then compare results. Nobody has the patience to do that. So I just use whatever Bing finds for me.

misterpip

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
Maps

Apple to work a deal where they can cherry pick best google maps services (e.g. streetview) to allow google to be default search.

#longshot

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I've always been a fan of Google, but I'm noticing more and more omission of results with a DMCA claim at the bottom of the search results page.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
After seeing what Marissa Mayer did to my Yahoo Email and every other thing she has touched I don't want Yahoo anywhere near the MacOS

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Firefox just axed Google as the default search provider in favor of Yahoo. I'm not really sure how much difference this type of thing will make because tech-savvy users will change it back and non-tech-savvy users will just type in http://www.google.com.

By that logic, Bing, which is the default on IE, should have a gigantic market share.

JohnnieBlack

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
No Yahoo!!!!

Apple, as long as you still care about the user experience please don't use Yahoo for anything other than maybe stock prices

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I reckon Apple will either switch to using DuckDuckGo/Yandex or buy out DuckDuckGo/Yandex but maintain the philosophy and policy!

Has anyone else switched to using this search engine recently, I really can't fault it and might not be quite as good as google but beats yahoo/bing in my opinion.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I know that Yahoo wanted to back out of the deal with Bing, but for now isnt Yahoo underpinned by Bing? In other words, Apple would be better off going directly to Bing.

Personally I use DuckDuckGo. I was too tired of all the tracking and ads that comes with Google and was never a fan of MS, so I hope (as others have said) that Apple does a deal that serves the users the best, but leaves the option that we now have to change the default.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Or you know, maybe 2015 will be the year Apple releases it's own search engine...

Thanks for the laugh. What does Eddy Cue know about building a search engine? Last time I checked App Store search/curation is pretty bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.