Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Aargh - Can't make up my mind. Don't want to go over the pros and cons again - there's a zillion threads for that.

Straightforward question - can you display two pages side by side on the MBP - 2 Safaris - One WORD one Excel etc. How about 1 application and one MSN chat window?

Are there any screenshots I can be pointed to?

I really WANT the 17" but the new 15" MBP might work too. Going to be on the road a lot so the size might be more manageable as well ...

eV

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Can you ellaborate?

Also, would the extra 2 inches make a HUGE difference in DVD viewing?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
eVolcre said:
Can you ellaborate?

Also, would the extra 2 inches make a HUGE difference in DVD viewing?
I can. Here is a link to discuss it, but it is not at all what I think you want. Expose

Yes you can fit two pages side by side on the 15", however it is small. I actually use an external because I wanted more screen real estate but wasn't willing to give up portability. The 17" is big, and easy to carry, but not easy when you have two camera bodies, lenses, flash, batteries, tripod. Better yet, when you have books and papers...the 17" just weighs me down.

Anyway, 2" makes a difference, but I did find this article and I would tend to think they aren't kidding. PowerBook 17" Review
Read that. It actually says,
"the screen's dimensions make viewing two documents side-by-side comfortable."

Good luck.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Excel and word and two Safari windows on my 15"PB DL.

Bring a DVD to your local apple shop. I did that when deciding between the 12" and 15" PB

Attachments

• safari1.jpg
    safari1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 191
  • excelogword.jpg
    excelogword.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 171

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I would most certainly go 15'' and then use the extra cash you would have spent for an external display.

Rich.

Edit- Unless you want two view 2 pages on the move, then if you don't mind the extra weight, the 17'' is for you.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Thanks for the replies. This is very tough :(

fatso That wouldnt work. I dont need to take my laptop to class or to the office every single day but I will be in a new country every 3 months. So I need something 'moveable', not truly 'portable'. Then again, I don't think I should leave my laptop in the hotel room so I might have to end up carrying it with me.

I don't *think* the extra weight on the 17" would bother me.

Jessica

Expose is perfect for what I would need to do.

Temujin Actually, in that screen shot, it doesn't look too bad - two docs side by side. For 'work' it would work ..

I think its going to come down to DVDs. Since I'm on the road so much I spend a lot of time weatching movies. And that is another problem - I usually watch movies with the PB on my lap - the 17" might actually be a little TOO big for that ...

Then there's the 'cool' factor of the 17". Between the 15" and 17" I think I'm actually leaning toward the 15". Now, if they announce a 19 or 20" , I'm all over that! My own portable home theater. But the 15" and 17" difference might be too small for what I need to do ...

eV

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
I'm going to wait until April 1 and then buy whatever looks the coolest at that point without over thinking it. I tend to suffer from paralysis by analysis.

Between now and April 1 we have the event next week and also the 30th anniversary. If nothing new is announced I'll go with the 15" MBP, use it for however long I can without being worried about it being outdated by Merom and buy an iMac when I finally stop travelling in 3 years or so.

For what I want to do, net, blogging, emails and writing - the current MBP should take care of my needs for a while ...

eV

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
How does the 17" feel when its on your lap, lay7ing in bed either watching a movie or browing the web? Humongous or manageable? I was using a friends 17" Dell teh other way and it just seemed too unwieldly

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
eVolcre said:
How does the 17" feel when its on your lap, lay7ing in bed either watching a movie or browing the web? Humongous or manageable? I was using a friends 17" Dell teh other way and it just seemed too unwieldly
I have no problems using my 17" Powerbook for the tasks you describe. My only complaint is the amount of space it takes up on a desk etc; it's not that the machine is bulky though; it's barely any bigger than the 17" screen itself, it's just got a fairly big footprint.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
as an owner of a 17" powerbook, i can't tell you how much i love being able to have two windows side by side. on my old pc, i had two enormous crt's for that :eek:

at this point, i'd be surprised if the 17"MBP didn't come out pretty soon, so unless you've got your heart set on the 15", it might be best to wait and see if you can.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
eVolcre said:
Thanks for the replies. This is very tough :(

fatso That wouldnt work. I dont need to take my laptop to class or to the office every single day but I will be in a new country every 3 months. So I need something 'moveable', not truly 'portable'. Then again, I don't think I should leave my laptop in the hotel room so I might have to end up carrying it with me.

eV

If you will be traveling that much you will probably be often flying and that 17-inch will not fit easily if at all on a plane tray.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
Man I'd personally get the 17 inch powerbook. That screen is killer. As nice as the 15 inch MBP is I wouldn't touch one until all apps go universal. But thats just me.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
I honestly don't have any problems with the size, weight, or shape of my 17" PB and I bring it everywhere with me. :) After having the 17" screen I don't believe I would be happy with anything smaller. I can fit two, full safari windows side-by-side and have a bunch of room below them for stuff like iChat, iTunes, Finder windows, etc. When the MBP arrives in the 17" flavor (assume the price isn't just rediculous) I'll probably look at upgrading, but for now this thing is epic! Good luck with the decision. :D

Here's a screenshot for you:
Picture 2.jpg

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
I love my 17"

Was in the same position- choosing between the 15" or the 17". Absolutely NO regrets whatsover for chossing the 17". Even though I travel alot overseas on airplanes, it isn't nearly the hassle that others say. It's relatively light for its size, and quite portable (I find it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to move around than my dad's 15" Dell Inspiron)

If you can afford it, by all means go for the 17". Once you get used to the screensize, you won't want to "move back down" (happened to me)

Good luck, but whatever PB (MBP?) you go for, you'll be getting a fantastic laptop. :)

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
:-(

You guys definitely didn't make my decision easier :mad: :confused: :p

I really think I should wait and see what the 17" one looks like. Cost is no object. I do NOT have my mind set on the 15" at all. I don't plan on using the laptop in planes - I usually fall asleep.

The main use is going to be as my primary machine when I travel and as a mobile entertainment system.

The multiple windows would be great but, honestly, with expose, you can get by with a 15" screen.

The 17" would be great to watch movies on, but ... with the dvi-s video apaptor I could always plug in the laptop to the TV in my hotel room.

See my quandary? I can argue both sides LOL

The 17" would be great for showing presentations to clients ...

But, the 15" might just be a better option in terms of balance of size. I do use my laptop a lot to write, maintain blogs etc. and the 15" might be easier to take to a coffee shop etc.

Who knows. I'm going to stop over analysing this, wait for the 17" to be announced and go and look at both and buy the one that says "buy me"

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
HEY!!! That last post was post #17 in this thread. :eek: Thats a sign from the Apple God in teh sky ... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.