Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions, the next game in the popular franchise Geometry Wars, launched today for both PC and Mac. For those unfamiliar with the series, Geometry Wars is an arcade shooter where players will shoot through wave after wave of enemies to win, with the goal of surviving as long as possible and racking up points.

In the game, players take control of a ship and slaughter enemies that come in an array of geometrical shapes across 3D battlefields. Players earn weapons, bombs, and extra lives at regular intervals throughout the game, while an ever-increasing number of enemies continually spawn.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions offers more than 50 single player levels across two game modes, Adventure and Classic Arcade, and it offers both cooperative and competitive online multiplayer modes.

There are several 3D grids and more than 10 battle modes like Pacifism, King, and Claustrophobia, plus players can use four unique companion drones: Attack, Collector, Ram, and Snipe.

The game requires OS X Mavericks or OS X Yosemite, 1GB of storage space, a minimum of a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB of RAM, and ATI Radeon HD 3870/NVIDIA 330M/Intel HD 3000 graphics or better.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions can be purchased for Mac via Steam or through GameAgent.com for $14.99. A Mac App Store version will also be available, as soon as it's approved.

Article Link: 'Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions' Now Available for Mac

NintendoRev

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
Been playing this on my Xbox One and it's pretty great. As a long time fan of the series it's a worthy sequel in the series, and an unexpected one at that considering Bizarre Creations went out a few years back thanks to activation's poor management.

AppleTools

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Déjà Vu...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYql98tL-t4

I have been playing Super Stardust on my PS3 for 5 years, paid only $9 and still beats this other game in graphics, gameplay and even sci-fi consistency... Instead of navigating shapes you go through different planets and destroy all sort of things.

It's like Asteroids on Steroids!

Just thought for a moment this other game looks like a cheap rip off version of Stardust...

Attachments

• super-stardust-hd_54363_superstardusthd-2.jpg
    super-stardust-hd_54363_superstardusthd-2.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 205

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Just thought for a moment this other game looks like a cheap rip off version of Stardust...

Geometry wars came out 2003, super stardust in 2007.

Why do apple customers always see a ripoff in everything? Paranoia?

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009

To be honest Geometry Wars series does have a Tempest 2000 vibe to it.. (from the old Atari Jaguar).

Not saying it's a ripoff, though. saying it's more of an "inspiration"., and I loved Tempest 2000.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005

Super Stardust HD was an update of Stardust, which was originally an Amiga game from 1993 (and a sequel from 1996, Super Stardust).

But of course it's all just Asteroids anyway so on one level I'd agree it's silly to be arguing about what is the more original game.

Super Stardust HD is great though. This looks decent too.

Last edited:

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Sierra! Now for them to release sequels to Heros quest, space quest, Kings quest and leisure suit larry.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Comparing Super Stardust and Geometry Wars doesn't really make sense. Both are good and different games. In my opinion Super Stardust doesn't have the addictiveness and deployability of Geometry Wars, though.

Best part of GW3 is that it includes the modes from GW2 as well.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Looks to me like an up to date version of the old Commodore 64 game Gridrunner, published by Llamasoft. Anyone remember that? Would have been back in the early '80s.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks for the fond memories!

To be honest Geometry Wars series does have a Tempest 2000 vibe to it.. (from the old Atari Jaguar).

I loved all those "game 2000" games. :) Including the ones on the Jaguar. Thanks for the reminder of such fond times. You could resurrect anything at that time - "space invaders 2000", "Cave Adventure 2000", etc. - just add awesome background music and a lot of vector lighting effects.

Regarding other comments, it's worth a reminder that a game can be a lot of fun without having modern graphics. Don't know if this one is fun - just saying... In fact, the opposite is more common: great graphics masks poor game quality, so games with better graphics don't have to try as hard.
I've always wished game developers designed their game engines so the graphics could be post-updated while keeping the gameplay intact. (Like "skins" but a whole lot deeper.) Then they could keep upgrading the graphics over time and thus not turn off new players, but the game would be as much fun as it always was.

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Sierra! Now for them to release sequels to Heros quest, space quest, Kings quest and leisure suit larry.

It could happen! Activisiom is reviving Sierra. This must be their first game.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/sierra-games-returns-with-new-kings-quest-and-geometry-wars-titles/

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
Wait, Sierra still exists?!

Theres a blast from the past...

Don't forget Police Quest! I have so many awesome memories of theses games. I remember the days that my parents would take me to Egghead Software and I would stare at the boxes for hours wishing they were mine. The cool thing about it all is I still have all of them in their original boxes stashed away in my closet. I would play these games on my uber Tandy 1000HX computer for hours and hours at a a time.

Attachments

• kq1_1_16.gif
    kq1_1_16.gif
    7 KB · Views: 501
  • ll2_1_16.gif
    ll2_1_16.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 497
  • HXRunningLarge.jpg
    HXRunningLarge.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 174

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'll pass for now. It has store-exclusive DLC and I avoid games that have practices like that, plus it doesn't look as good as Geometry Wars 2. They just need to port that over to modern systems and Steam!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Note that you can't change screen resolution on the Mac or Linux versions... That's coming in an update, says the FAQ. It looks pretty pixellated on my 30-inch ACD.

bp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.