Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I need an Anti Spam software for my Mac. I currently use Office 2011 for Mac, so I am using Outlook. I have a hosted exchange account. I get a huge amount of spam. I find the Outlook rules policy almost useless, unless I am doing something wrong.

I looked at SpamSieve and I found it very time consuming to setup and use. I felt it wasn't very use friendly. However, it did seem to have a lot of good reviews.

I am happy to pay for a good product.

So any recommendations or advise is welcome.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I second the Spam Sieve suggestion. I've been using it for a couple of months, and it's very effective. Most days it gets every message. Some days it'll miss one.

ryan101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I didn't find Spam Sieve very user friendly at all. I am trying out http://www.cloudmarkdesktop.com

So far too early to say if it's good. It's very user friendly. I am trying the free version. Support is hard to contact.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
I must be missing something with software like SpamSieve - don't you still end up having to check the spam folder to see if any "good" mail is in there ?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I must be missing something with software like SpamSieve - don't you still end up having to check the spam folder to see if any "good" mail is in there ?

Sure. That's true for all filtering apps -- they're going to wrongly-flag one every now and then. I usually look once a day, just spinning through the messages. SpamSieve color-codes the message according to its judgement as to how "spammy" they are. Yellow and orange are the "least spammy," and so I only look at those.

ryan101, it's certainly true that setting SpamSieve up is annoying. But it's also a one-time setup, so once you finish with it, you won't be doing it again.

However, I don't have stock in the company or anything at all to do with them. I like their product because for me it works very well, and is far, far better than Apple Mail's anti-spam procedures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.