Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j1mm1nycr1cket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
I just bought a MacBook Pro 15.4, late 2008 model. The screen is quite wishy-washy, pale and lacking contrast. It's set to the default colour profile, 'Colour LCD'. I played with the calibration settings but that just makes it worse. I was wondering if there was a colour profile I could use that might improve the quality/density of the colour, or is it just the fact the screen is 6 years old so it's dying?
Thanks in advance

carmona

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
You should calibrate with a colorimeter (Spyder etc.) to be sure the color is correct.

As a first step to check if it's a display failure or not, you could manually calibrate with the mac utility. But be aware that this is done by eye and is therefore not an objective calibration.

j1mm1nycr1cket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion, but I want a software solution. I'm not about to pay 100 quid or more for a Spyder. What I'm trying to do is improve the visual appearance of colours, so I need a way to tune the temperature, white point etc manually - something better than the built-in control panel one.
I found an app called SuperCal (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8142/supercal) which seems to fit the bill, but it's tricky to get everything looking right and in fact, one stage in the process sort of mucks up what you've already done but you can't skip stages so I'm not getting very far.
I'm just wondering if I can open up the .icc file and take out the data relating to the step I want to skip.
I'll experiment and find out.

carmona

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
Well the thing is, doing it with software only won't be objective, as our eyes are not able to read color objectively... that's why there are hardware calibration tools...

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If you can borrow a calibration tool from a friend it's worth a try - however the 2008 ones don't have great displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.