Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
When going through lots of files inside of folders and moving them from one folder to another and deleting files:

1. After deleting a file or copying a file it changes the location of my folders inside the main folder making it quite confusing. How can I set it up so that it does not do this?

2. I almost always experience major lag dragging files from one folder to another and when deleting the files. Does anyone else get this? I have experienced this on a new iMac and MBP.

Thanks.

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
I have the same lag when moving (drag/drop) files from one folder to another. Its almost 6 seconds before I see the Finder file transfer window. Its another 5 seconds before it actually starts transferring. Then its all cool. This happens when transferring files on the same drive/partition. Its even worse when copying to a USB drive.

I would think that it's a hard drive issue, but it happens on two identical late 2011 15" MBP's, one with a SSD and one without, both running 10.9.5. It never hjappened until 10.9.5. And multiple clean installs have not fixed either machine. I just deal with it.

Oddly enough, I have a "hackintosh" that is very similarly specced to the MBP's and it does not have this issue.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Here's a quick "down and dirty" way to find out if it is a software issue/conflict, or, if it is just that you have a slow hard drive.

Go into System Preferences, Users and Groups, and create a new user. Then, log out, and then log yourself back in as the new user you just created.

Replicate the "moving files" issue you had by creating a bunch of similar sized files (or even copy all those files onto a Thumb Drive before creating your new User), and then do all the same stuff you were doing before (deleting files, moving them, etc.) and see if you notice a difference.

It will either be EXACTLY the same speed/lag as before (indicating that's just the speed of your hard drive, the system bus, how fast your system sends data to and from the drive), or, it will be LIGHTNING FAST -- in which case that means it's totally a software issue/glitch. For example, Spotlight might be mucking around with your files at the same time you are trying to move or delete them, or whatnot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.