Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, i am wanting to make a clean insatall on my Imac G4, which is now running Leopard.

I have e original discs. Ive done clean installs of leopard, leopard is just a single disc and easy to install

I just want to run the default osx which the imac came with, its not for any tasking or whatsoever. So this install is going to be a downgrade, which ive never attempted before.

Are thereany do's or dont's which i should know about, when i am down grading the version of OSX....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Backup.

Then you are free to downgrade. :)
I'm guessing you're using the grey restore discs. It should be just as simple as the Leopard install. Disc in, boot and away.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Guys, i am wanting to make a clean insatall on my Imac G4, which is now running Leopard.

I have e original discs. Ive done clean installs of leopard, leopard is just a single disc and easy to install

I just want to run the default osx which the imac came with, its not for any tasking or whatsoever. So this install is going to be a downgrade, which ive never attempted before.

Are thereany do's or dont's which i should know about, when i am down grading the version of OSX....

Previous versions of OS X are easy to install as well. Simply erase the drive in Disk Utility or double click it in the installer and hit "Erase". You cannot install an older OS over a newer one (e.g. 10.4 Tiger over 10.5 Leopard). When it is ready for the next disk, the installer will eject the existing disk and prompt you to insert the next one.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Previous versions of OS X are easy to install as well. Simply erase the drive in Disk Utility or double click it in the installer and hit "Erase". You cannot install an older OS over a newer one (e.g. 10.4 Tiger over 10.5 Leopard). When it is ready for the next disk, the installer will eject the existing disk and prompt you to insert the next one.

Hi, i did the fresh installation a couple of hours ago, surprisingly, the process did not request for the 2nd disc to be inserted. The first disc installed 10.3.1 and just proceeded to the usual account set up.

I did later try inserting the Discs 2 and 3, while the 10.3.1 was running and all i could see was a notification to insert disc 1, if i wish to restore.

I thought all discs would be used...and yeah i just saw your post...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi, i did the fresh installation a couple of hours ago, surprisingly, the process did not request for the 2nd disc to be inserted. The first disc installed 10.3.1 and just proceeded to the usual account set up.

I did later try inserting the Discs 2 and 3, while the 10.3.1 was running and all i could see was a notification to insert disc 1, if i wish to restore.

I thought all discs would be used...and yeah i just saw your post...

Disk 2 and 3 contain some content which are not necessary for install if unchecked like printer drivers, languages, etc.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Disk 2 and 3 contain some content which are not necessary for install if unchecked like printer drivers, languages, etc.

Hi, any idea if 10.2 will run in an Imac g4..... I checked at everymac and it states that an imac g4 comes preinstalled with 10.3. Just curious if i can run Jaguar in this mac. I did see an imac g4 flashing 10.2 on its 'about this mac'.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Depends which model of iMac G4. The various models were sold for over two years.

Rule of thumb is usually that you can't go lower than the major version it shipped with. There's the odd exception (eg 10.6 on late-2011 MBPs).

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi, any idea if 10.2 will run in an Imac g4..... I checked at everymac and it states that an imac g4 comes preinstalled with 10.3. Just curious if i can run Jaguar in this mac. I did see an imac g4 flashing 10.2 on its 'about this mac'.

Only the 20 inch USB 2.0 models are incompatible with 10.2.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Depends which model of iMac G4. The various models were sold for over two years.

Rule of thumb is usually that you can't go lower than the major version it shipped with. There's the odd exception (eg 10.6 on late-2011 MBPs).

Mine is 20" 1.25ghz and yeah...the g4 which was running with 10.2 was not a 20"

----------

Only the 20 inch USB 2.0 models are incompatible with 10.2.

That would be the answer to my query i guess!

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
You may need to install from Target Disk Mode on a supported Mac if your iMac shipped with a later version than what is on your restore disks then update to the latest version of 10.2 via the Combo Update.

I think it would have shipped with 10.3 preinstalled and those discs werent the discs shipped with this mac... It was shipped with another 15" g4.

So i guess i wont push much and will leave this 20" g4 to run 10.3..thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think it would have shipped with 10.3 preinstalled and those discs werent the discs shipped with this mac... It was shipped with another 15" g4.

So i guess i wont push much and will leave this 20" g4 to run 10.3..thanks.

You can get 10.2 on there, but I doubt the disks will boot natively in that Mac and install. You could however install it on the original iMac via Target Disk Mode to the newer model's hard drive then update using the latest combo update.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
You can get 10.2 on there, but I doubt the disks will boot natively in that Mac and install. You could however install it on the original iMac via Target Disk Mode to the newer model's hard drive then update using the latest combo update.

Thank you for the much detailed explanation..... I guess i ddnt get it on your previous post :eek: ... So there is a way around it.

I cant target disk from the other imac g4 since its dead, but i shall try it from a P/mac g4, the 400mhz model, year 1990. I am sure it can run 10.2, its running 10.3 now, i intend to do a freshie on it too since i dont have e admin password for it and its annoying when i cant provide one.

But after running the 10.2 task on the p/mac to the imac g4, i intend to run 10.1 on the p/mac.

But not sure whether the target disk from the p/mac to imac would be sucessful though. Sounds good on paper but dnt know about the technical issues. Do you think it would be impossible ..

Thanks again.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thank you for the much detailed explanation..... I guess i ddnt get it on your previous post :eek: ... So there is a way around it.

I cant target disk from the other imac g4 since its dead, but i shall try it from a P/mac g4, the 400mhz model, year 1990. I am sure it can run 10.2, its running 10.3 now, i intend to do a freshie on it too since i dont have e admin password for it and its annoying when i cant provide one.

But after running the 10.2 task on the p/mac to the imac g4, i intend to run 10.1 on the p/mac.

But not sure whether the target disk from the p/mac to imac would be sucessful though. Sounds good on paper but dnt know about the technical issues. Do you think it would be impossible ..

Thanks again.

If the disk will boot and install on the PowerMac, then all you would have to do is start the iMac in Target Disk Mode (TDM). Then you would run a FireWire cable from the iMac in TDM to the PowerMac. It will appear as a hard drive in Disk Utility where you can erase it and install it.

j194888

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
10.4.4 Tiger

Hi, i try to install 10.4.4 tiger OS on my A1173 iMac but during install i found that my disk2 is missing and installation asking me for disk2. I cannot get rid off this message or cancell install every time i reboot same message, i get stuck. How i can fix this problem? Please help me. Regards

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Find disk 2. ;)

You're also asking in the wrong section, the A1173 is not a PowerPC mac. Try opening a new thread in the iMac section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.