Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thibault2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
good afternoon dear members of the macrumors community,

i come to meet you in this forum to inquire for help concerning an iphone 5 that I freshly bought on the internet.
Indeed, this is a second hand device . it used to works perfectly during the first days but then suddenly it locked itself and asked for some security code as well as displaying a message asking me to call the owner of the phone. I then figured out that this is a feature of the icloud service to help people who lost their device to retrieve it.
Regrettably the phone number displayed on the screen is out of order, and the seller doesn't return my messages.
I tried to find a software which could disable this unfortunate icloud feature, but so far, these efforts have not yielded any result.
Also my idea to recover the use of my phone is to replace the electronic chip which holds the identification or ownership references by a new one. Thus I am asking for your help or advices to find whether the adequate software or the adequate replacement chip.

my greatest thanks

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
good afternoon dear members of the macrumors community,

i come to meet you in this forum to inquire for help concerning an iphone 5 that I freshly bought on the internet.
Indeed, this is a second hand device . it used to works perfectly during the first days but then suddenly it locked itself and asked for some security code as well as displaying a message asking me to call the owner of the phone. I then figured out that this is a feature of the icloud service to help people who lost their device to retrieve it.
Regrettably the phone number displayed on the screen is out of order, and the seller doesn't return my messages.
I tried to find a software which could disable this unfortunate icloud feature, but so far, these efforts have not yielded any result.
Also my idea to recover the use of my phone is to replace the electronic chip which holds the identification or ownership references by a new one. Thus I am asking for your help or advices to find whether the adequate software or the adequate replacement chip.

my greatest thanks

There is nothing you can do. You can continue to take efforts to return it to the owner, or turn it in to authorities and give them the phone number you saw in the message.

Otherwise you have an expensive paperweight.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's not an unfortunate feature.
It's a great anti theft feature that makes buying and selling lost or stolen idevices useless.
Next time try not to purchase a phone with find my iPhone turned on cause it's most likely stolen.
Take it as a lesson learned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.