Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thinking about replacing my two 23" Dell´s with a 30" ACD. Hence I´ve a few questions:
1. Does it have IPS-panel?
2. Is it still a good buy, if I find one in good condition?

I don´t want the 27" as I´m not a fan of glossy screens.

Last edited:

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
i don't think its a IPS panel, and I feel you might find a better panel for the money
Well, according to this site, it does have IPS Panel...
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/panels.php

I´m aware, this monitor is old, and not the best at present. But I can live with that, as I love the design. Furthermore it will make my set-up more Mac´ish :D

A refurbished will cost me the same as a Dell 2713/2711. I´ve owned the latter, but found it "clumpsy" and way too Windows.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2014-11-26 15.54.41.png
    Skærmbillede 2014-11-26 15.54.41.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 96

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, according to this site, it does have IPS Panel...
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/panels.php

I´m aware, this monitor is old, and not the best at present. But I can live with that, as I love the design. Furthermore it will make my set-up more Mac´ish :D

A refurbished will cost me the same as a Dell 2713/2711. I´ve owned the latter, but found it "clumpsy" and way too Windows.

interesting.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Sweet. How´s the panel for PhotoShop/Lightroom?

I consider it to be just about perfect. I previously had a pair of cheap (TN panel?) Samsung 20" monitors, and eventually grew tired of how the color would change depending on the viewing angle. Plunked down around $2K for the ACD, and it's been great ever since. Easy to calibrate, and is perfect for LR.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Thinking about replacing my two 23" Dell´s with a 30" ACD. Hence I´ve a few questions:
1. Does it have IPS-panel?
2. Is it still a good buy, if I find one in good condition?

I don´t want the 27" as I´m not a fan of glossy screens.

The 30" Apple Cinema Display with it's matte screen gives a subtle color saturation and helps bring out the details in the midtones in photo editing, design or videos. And on the brightness controls, I only need to set this about halfway and not at full. I was told this helps prolong the lifespan of the LCD. I think this is still a good buy and one of the best monitors Apple made.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
The 30" Apple Cinema Display with it's matte screen gives a subtle color saturation and helps bring out the details in the midtones in photo editing, design or videos. And on the brightness controls, I only need to set this about halfway and not at full. I was told this helps prolong the lifespan of the LCD. I think this is still a good buy and one of the best monitors Apple made.

I agree, this is probably Apple's best panel yet (jury still out on the 5k iMac). Been saving up for one soon, can't wait to get one.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
For how much are they selling?
After reading-up on this a bit, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to buy one at this stage (it will hardly be as-new, after all).
And displays age, too.

It might develop a problem with the PSU or the logic-board or the back-light any day. And then you're left the a piece of scrap-metal, essentially.

Of course, if you can buy one cheap...
It's tempting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.