Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I am looking for a good note taking application that will allow me to import PDFs and take notes on them for classes. My professors provide us with PDFs of their presentations and then we take notes on them. I am mainly looking for something to take notes on Mac, so an iPad app is not necessary but if there is one that is good, I wouldn't mind. I do need good organization as there are a lot of notes and I need to easily be able type on the PDF without having too much clicking.

I have tried Notability and while I liked that it had the Mac and iOS versions, the syncing was a problem and it does not have the best organization for a large number of notes and classes. I have also used Microsoft OneNote for Mac but I feel like that is not as powerful as the Windows version. I would be willing pay for a decent app, especially if its highly recommended. Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have any suggestions?

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I use a ton of variations of what you are describing especially with the field I'm in. Maybe something like a combo of apps is what you need. You can try using the combo of Evernote (Premium for increased syncing ability) and a powerful PDF app like PDF Pen (I use pro and they have both Mac and iOS versions)

There are also any number of other combos you can use as well. Ie: ink with notability but archive in Evernote or your note app of choice. Oh yeah, the preview app is a free (basic) app that you can take advantage of too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.