Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FutureMarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
I recently got this PowerPC G5 and I just tore it apart and blew it out. I put it back together, and it turns on, I don't hear the chime (speaker is plugged in), no beeping or error lights, and now the white led only lights up on the front when I press the power button, but the goes away. Nothing shows up on my screen, I took out the graphics card and plugged it back in. I can clearly hear it running and normal fan speeds and everything, I've took the RAM out and put it back, any help would be appreciate it.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Did you remove CPU at any point? If so, check that it is well-seated. Also, G5 Powermacs require you to install memory sticks in pairs and you cannot install them freely, only to spesific slots, if you install first one in the first slot (counting from up to down) then you must install the second the lowest one. My memory might not be correct, but someone here surely knows/remembers plus you can check it from Apple's website.... but I know there are limitations with ram installation in those machines.

FutureMarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Did you remove CPU at any point? If so, check that it is well-seated. Also, G5 Powermacs require you to install memory sticks in pairs and you cannot install them freely, only to spesific slots, if you install first one in the first slot (counting from up to down) then you must install the second the lowest one. My memory might not be correct, but someone here surely knows/remembers plus you can check it from Apple's website.... but I know there are limitations with ram installation in those machines.

I'll take out the CPU and make sure it's good. It's more likely the RAM thing. I'll have to find out about it.

FutureMarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Fixed RAM and CPU, still nothing. No chime, no beeps, no lights. I thought maybe the HDD was not in, but I checked and still nothing.

----------

It turns on, just nothing really happens. All fans are spinning.

FutureMarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
Yes. I just don't know why it won't start up. It turns on completely, I have the front panels connected, I have no idea what I did wrong. I've looked it at so many times, it's driving me nuts.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yes. I just don't know why it won't start up. It turns on completely, I have the front panels connected, I have no idea what I did wrong. I've looked it at so many times, it's driving me nuts.

I would try taking apart every piece you removed and putting it all back together. I know that sounds like a pain but it will let you double check everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.