Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I am looking to switch to a Mac. I've been back and forth between a 2012 Mini and an iMac (I hate laptops) and have decided on the latter. I was looking at the maxed out Retina iMac, but after visiting the Apple Store, I don't see enough difference to justify the cost, especially since I will likely buy two machines as I use a computer downstairs and in my upstairs office.

I currently have 2 custom built (by me) PCs with i7 and 16GB of RAM. These are really way more powerful than I need as I am not a PC gamer. I have a XB1 and a PS4 for that. I mostly use my computers for business software, email, MS Office, Web and light online video. I do run AnyDVD HD and TSMuxer or BD Rebuilder (both are resource intensive) to copy my Blu-Rays to my media server. I will need to run Parallels to run these and to access some of my Windows software. I was looking at the mid level iMac model ME088LL/A and would look to upgrade the RAM. Is this a powerful enough machine to run Parallels and these other programs without a hiccup as well as other moderate tasks? I know it's only an i5, but will these machines be decent for the next few year? Thanks.

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
Yes, these machines are powerful enough for everyday tasks, and even for virtualisation. 16GB of RAM should help with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.