Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

houssein31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I was looking at my iPhone 6 today and I realised that the front facing camera had moved to the left. I never saw or heard something like that. It's so strange because I never dropped my phone so far.

Even if the camera has moved, it did not affect the pictures I take. In other words, Ito can still take good front facing photos.

Should I take the phone to the Apple Store?? Would they exchange it for another one? Is it worth it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13,102

houssein31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Here's a better picture (sorry had to use my hold iPhone 4)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 7,616

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I was looking at my iPhone 6 today and I realised that the front facing camera had moved to the left. I never saw or heard something like that. It's so strange because I never dropped my phone so far.

Even if the camera has moved, it did not affect the pictures I take. In other words, Ito can still take good front facing photos.

Should I take the phone to the Apple Store?? Would they exchange it for another one? Is it worth it?

You sure it's not just lighting? Photo looks lit from left.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
lol is this serious OP? it is essentially impossible for it to move as there is a cutout in the glass for the camera, and is also bolted to the frame inside and screwed in so it stays in place... is there anything in the way of the front camera when you turn the front camera on..? like if it actually did "truly move" you would see something in the way of the front camera when you have it on

meysell

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
this happened to my original iPhone 6, just take it to the Apple Store and they'll fix it right up for you! more time was spent criticizing the OP than recognizing the problem in this thread

Reactions: azing and Joe HS

bddimac27

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
front camera

i have an iphone 5 with the same situation as my camera. i brought my iphone due to the recall from the sleep button and when they diagnosed it they told me that the camera is not centered and they told me that the phone was already previously repaired and they cannot fixed the sleep button because i dont have the warranty anymore. i tried to argue with the apple genius and i told him that i am 100% sure that there is no repair done with my phone and i wouldnt waste my time going to apple store if i already have a third party repair on my phone. they didn't repair it and ending up upgrading to iphone 6 and trade-in my iphone5.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

It's not just you. Mine's the same, and I suspect that it was always misaligned and that I simply didn't notice when I first got it.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Sorry, can't stop laughing. :D

This has to be the number 1 thread of all time!!!

Camera moving??? Wow!! I need a drink.....

Reactions: ABC5S

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Dude. Something is definitely wrong. Take it back to the Apple Store right now. At least it didn't move to somewhere over the screen. That would be much worse.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010

Both photos look like shadows.

Reactions: ABC5S

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
This is legit, my friend's iPhone 6 had the same problem. I don't think the camera is actually moving, per se, but it definitely a defect. He took it to apple and they replaced the panel for free.

EDIT: I just messaged my friend to tell him about this post, and he says the camera is shifting again on his iPhone. Interesting indeed.

Last edited:

Essa86

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Here is my iphone6 front camera. I noticed it a while ago. I showed it to the apple rep when I got my 6+ he showed me his iPhone6 and told me it is normal and they can't do anything about it. It didn't bother me since it works fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,730

rcckks96

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Stamford,CT
Mine looks exactly the same! It's been bugging me for a couple weeks. I'm always staring at it trying to figure out if it's just shadows, or if something is off.

buntym

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Mine moves all over the front of the phone. It depends on the day. I hate finding my camera in the bottom of the phone by the home button.

Wait....what? Is this serious? My brain is hurting?

Most definitely, this is some serious ****!

lol is this serious OP? it is essentially impossible for it to move as there is a cutout in the glass for the camera, and is also bolted to the frame inside and screwed in so it stays in place... is there anything in the way of the front camera when you turn the front camera on..? like if it actually did "truly move" you would see something in the way of the front camera when you have it on

Sorry, can't stop laughing. :D

This has to be the number 1 thread of all time!!!

Camera moving??? Wow!! I need a drink.....

Lay off the drugs. They're giving you "camera bugs."

I don't think any of the above posters understand the OP's problem fully, possibly due to the lack of explanation on his side. He isn't saying that the entire camera module has moved, but simply the sensor + lens has shifted slightly within the enclosure. You can see this because in the Hi-res image he uploaded a few posts ago there is clearly a crescent-shaped gap between the side of the cut-out and his lens. The alignment isn't perfect as it is on most phones, probably due to a manufacturing defect or impact.

Hope that clears things up for you guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.