Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have been having a problem with my ClamCase Pro lately since the iOS 8 update. Maybe a few others too? A lot of times when I'd type a letter, it'll get stick and so instead of typing something like "sometimes", I'd end up with "sssssoooomeeeetttimmmes" because the letters would get stuck.

It puzzled me that just about every letter on my keyboard was having this issue (except the numbers). I have put a lot of miles on it, but it otherwise still looks great.

Just now I figured out the solution though, and that was to:

1. Go into Settings, Bluetooth, and then My Devices
2. Find your keyboard, and then click the information icon on the right (the circle with the letter i)
3. Click "Forget This Device"
4. Turn off the keyboard, turn it back on, and then go through the pairing process again

If there is nothing wrong with the hardware, then you should be back up and running and the problem will be gone.

Reactions: ToddBradley

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Interesting...I have this problem, but it's only coming up when trying to edit in larger documents. Since I was using the original Notebooks for iPad and not the one for iOS 7/8, I figured it was the app, and paid to upgrade that. Didn't work. Unfortunately your fix didn't work either, though I'll probably retry again a few more times.

It doesn't happen on new docs, or text only ones (so far), just ones that have images embedded with the text. Unfortunately, I've only got the one keyboard to test with, which makes triage difficult for this kind of bug!

Edit: closing every other app mitigates it somewhat. The lag is still horrendous, but only one doubled letter in a full sentence. Keyboard works fine in the same file on iPhone 6/8.1 JB, so I'm leaning away from a hardware issue. which is a slight bummer as I did want the new Keys To Go to replace it! LOL

rMini, 8.1.1, Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover (1st mini version)

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Interesting...I have this problem, but it's only coming up when trying to edit in larger documents. Since I was using the original Notebooks for iPad and not the one for iOS 7/8, I figured it was the app, and paid to upgrade that. Didn't work. Unfortunately your fix didn't work either, though I'll probably retry again a few more times.

It doesn't happen on new docs, or text only ones (so far), just ones that have images embedded with the text. Unfortunately, I've only got the one keyboard to test with, which makes triage difficult for this kind of bug!

Edit: closing every other app mitigates it somewhat. The lag is still horrendous, but only one doubled letter in a full sentence. Keyboard works fine in the same file on iPhone 6/8.1 JB, so I'm leaning away from a hardware issue. which is a slight bummer as I did want the new Keys To Go to replace it! LOL

rMini, 8.1.1, Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover (1st mini version)

I read about someone having this issue on Evernote too. I have a feeling it's an iOS 8 thing. To begin with, the system keyboard kept popping up when I had it connected, but that went away in 8.1 for the most part.

LOL, yeah, those Keys To Go are very tempting!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I read about someone having this issue on Evernote too. I have a feeling it's an iOS 8 thing. To begin with, the system keyboard kept popping up when I had it connected, but that went away in 8.1 for the most part.

Sigh. Exact same thing, very often it takes three or four tries of backing out of the doc (or email, or message) to get the virtual keyboard to quit popping up...still happening here in 8.1.1, even in stock apps like Mail--though the only place I've seen the repeating keys issue was in Notebooks. I think you're right, it's an iOS 8 bug.

So damn frustrating!

Edited, in case others need other solutions to try: well, I thought I had the solution in the Apple Wireless Keyboard...worked in that same document OK for a few sentences. Left it, came here to report, went back and boom....repeating letters and sluggish performance.

It's not wifi related, tested with and without it on, no difference. Kicked all apps out of memory, no change. Grrrr......!

Edit 2: still more testing. Rebooted iPad. Apple keyboard in same lengthy, image filled document--very sluggish, but no repeated letters. In small, no image doc within same app, a little sluggish, but definitely faster. Back here in this post, keyboard close to being "normal" in terms of speed.

Turning off other Bluetooth devices, no change in keyboard/iPad response.

Edit 3: More research. Bug was spotted in iAWriter back in September. In that case, disabling predictive text fixed the issue. (Settings > General > Keyboards, toggle predictive text off).

Unfortunately, this solution didn't work for me either.

Edit 4: Two more potential workarounds tested from suggestions elsewhere...turn off split keyboard function, and delete any third party virtual keyboards. Nope, and nope.

I think I'm done. My only semi-viable workaround at this point seems to be to stick with small files and no images. Which will work for some docs, but not for others.

Last edited:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I have been having a problem with my ClamCase Pro lately since the iOS 8 update. Maybe a few others too? A lot of times when I'd type a letter, it'll get stick and so instead of typing something like "sometimes", I'd end up with "sssssoooomeeeetttimmmes" because the letters would get stuck.

It puzzled me that just about every letter on my keyboard was having this issue (except the numbers). I have put a lot of miles on it, but it otherwise still looks great.

2. Find your keyboard, and then click the information icon on the right (the circle with the letter i)
4. Turn off the keyboard, turn it back on, and then go through the pairing process again

If there is nothing wrong with the hardware, then you should be back up and running and the problem will be gone.

Is your "forget this device" trick still working for you? My husband took over my Apple Wireless keyboard and promptly ran into this bug while using Pages. I've been fine continuing to use my "small, text-only docs" trick, but he literally had it happen two paragraphs into typing.

I sure hope Apple fixes this one in 8.1.3/8.2!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Is your "forget this device" trick still working for you? My husband took over my Apple Wireless keyboard and promptly ran into this bug while using Pages. I've been fine continuing to use my "small, text-only docs" trick, but he literally had it happen two paragraphs into typing.

I sure hope Apple fixes this one in 8.1.3/8.2!

I only had it happened to me that one time so far.

I had to send my keyboard in for a warranty claim so am without it at the moment. My power switch fell off since the metal bit was separating from the keyboard.. :eek:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I only had it happened to me that one time so far.

I had to send my keyboard in for a warranty claim so am without it at the moment. My power switch fell off since the metal bit was separating from the keyboard.. :eek:

Good to know that the problem didn't come back, at least. I'll have him try the forget & re-pair routine then.

Sucks about the Clamcase, but at least it was still under warranty! Hopefully you get it back soon. I did end up with the Keys To Go for Xmas, and it's pretty sweet. Haven't seen the key repeat issue crop with it, but I haven't tried it with my test file yet either. LOL

gpotts5626

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015

I have a Sharkk keyboard and an iPad Air2. This problem appeared for me with the release of iOS9. Forgetting the device and pairing it again solved the problem.

Reactions: Jessica Lares

cubeans

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2016

[doublepost=1457228464][/doublepost]Thanks for your post. Had a keyboard case I gave up on almost 6 months ago and this fixed the issue!

ToddBradley

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
Here's another THANK YOU for the suggestion. My Anker keyboard/case was doing this the past few days. So I did this trick and now they seem to be happy together again.

Shnanigan

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018

YES! I did what you recommended and the problem seems to be resolved! I was about to pull my hair out with all the backspacing I've had to do. I normally type 75 wpm, so I've had to slow down and watch the screen to catch the repeating keys when they would star. Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.