Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
Found a PMG4 MDD today for $10, and it came with an old Apple Studio Display, too! Unfortunately, it doesn't power on due to (as the guy that sold it to me said) a power surge from the lightning storm we had a few nights ago. Said that the power button light would come on for a second and then go out again. I immediately suspected a failed PSU, but I supposed not.

Supposing that the PSU was still intact, I went to google to see what people said about this. Some said that a dead PRAM battery could make the MDD refuse to boot, so I took the old one out to do a PRAM reset while I went out to buy a new one. When I got back, I replaced it and tried to power on and... nothing. Then I tried a PMU reset by pressing the reset button on the logic board. Still nothing. I tried taking out all the RAM and putting one stick in at a time to see if any of it was bad. Nothing. Finally, I looked to the red light that people talked about, as it apparently tells you if power is coming to the board at all. No light when pressing the power button :(

I can only now guess that either the logic board or the PSU (or, hell, maybe even both) were fried in the power surge the dude told me about. Hopefully I can find a replacement for cheap online or something. But before I do, any suggestions from you guys?

Oh, and the silver lining? I got a working studio display out of this :p

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Oddly enough I also recently came into an MDD myself, the 1.42 dual model. Same symptoms and the only thing that worked was when I swapped out the power supply from a working dual 1.25ghz mdd.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This seems like a power supply issue to me. I am guessing that the surge may have blown some capacitors on the PSU board. You may be able to rebuild the PSU for cheaper than buying a used part.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I heard someone call my name... ;)

I passed by this thread a few days ago, so sorry for being late. Congrats on the find though! The Studio Display is definitely one of those things that's either expensive or sometimes very cheap. Normally they are sort of expensive on eBay, and aren't always in the best condition (whether cheap or pricey). I have three of them (and actually missed out on a chance of getting a nice fourth one :( ), and they are definitely among the coolest-looking Apple displays. The issue with your MDD is a common one. These things are known for their PSU issues, and I see working PSUs go for as much as $90 on eBay. (not to mention the fact that many MDDs are being sold online for more than most PowerMac G5s).

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Press and hold the power button on the display. I've got a MDD that only likes to come on using the display power button when its held for a couple seconds.

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
If you don't mind a little drilling and soldering, you can fit a micro atx power supply inside the original power supply case. Ditch the 2 60mm fans for a single 80mm fan makes it much quieter as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.