Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Best / fastest iPad air 2 browser

• Safari

Votes: 62 81.6%
  • Chrome

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

SLM9555

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
What do you think is the best browser for the iPad air two, specifically Safari or chrome?

Speed and performance?

Features? Overall?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
On the iPad I prefer safari all the way. Find it faster and just performs better overall then chrome or others

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I seem to find safari always seems to get a bit snappier after every iOS update.

SLM9555

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I think so far I actually prefer chrome, both seem about equal speed on my air 2. The big thing for me is safari works with handoff but nothing for chrome. I wonder if chrome will add handoff capability?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
pretty sure chrome has "handoff" i have a buddy who uses android and a pc and it works for him.

SLM9555

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
pretty sure chrome has "handoff" i have a buddy who uses android and a pc and it works for him.

It doesn't work right on my iphone/ipad and macbook air. Only safari works like a true "handoff." Of course I can pull up the tabs once in chrome on my MB Air but that is not handoff like safari can do.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Don't use a Google product....
I think the best browser for iOS is Mercury Browser. Lighter than Safari but very powerful.

Sprintina

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I have been a several year-Mercury user but recently discovered iCabMobile thanks to a poster's recommendation here and am hooked so far. I never really liked Safari and Chrome doesn't really light my fire either.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Another vote for Mercury. It's the only browser that has regularly kept me away from Safari. I do think Safari is generally the smoothest, but Mercury is nearly as good, surprisingly feels just as fast even though they haven't updated to use the new rendering engine, and is a or more flee than Safari. It also reliably keeps 10+ tabs open for me on the Air 2 while Safari will start to dump them free about 5 (not immediately, but eventually).

JacobC1983

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Chrome is still crashing for me at random times on my iPad Air.

I haven't used Safari enough to notice if it happens there, too.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I have found Puffin to be my go to browser for speed. One of its features is the ability to run flash. But i don't use it for that reason at all. Both the free and paid versions run well. The free versions bottom ads are not too intrusive. I went ahead about bought the paid version because I liked the app and wanted to support the developer.

Mercury is another one I use. Same story as Puffin. There is a free to try version, but I went and bought the "pro" version to support the developer.

Safari is still super slow for me. I have an iPad Air 1 running 8.1.1

Last edited:

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I personally use and like Safari on all the Apple devices. I tried other browser and I ended up coming back to Safari.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I also like Mercury as an alternative. It performs similarly to Safari, I like the way it feels (control, and no shrinking URL bar) and I can import my desktop bookmarks easily.

I've also tried Chrome and Opera Mini, but not Dolphin nor iCab or other paid options.

Apparently, the only difference I can find between Mercury and Pro are the default bookmarks.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I think the pro version allows a larger number of open tabs.

Ah, didn't know that. I've only run into the limit once, and didn't feel like it was artificially low. And unlike Safari, it actually warns you when there are too many tabs open.

I like how if you didn't know there was a Pro version, you'd never be able to tell from inside the app. No pushiness, IAP, or other annoyances.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Speaking of Mercury, anyone know for sure what some of the advanced prefs do -- Enable Compression/Memory Warning/Disable Images/Navigation.

They do seem self-explanatory, but since they're not enabled by default, I wonder what the tradeoffs are.

I have seen the memory warning pop up once, and disabling images is clear. But the other two?

Their website isn't up to date with the current version, and the section addressing the advanced prefs is missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.