Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Hi,

So it's Black Friday and Best Buy(Canada) has two deals

MBPr base(2.6/8gb/128gb) = $1249.99 cdn

MBA upgraded Ram(1.4/8gb/128gb) = $999.99

My main use is for school, browsing, maybe AutoCAD.
Would the MBA be sufficient(8gb ram)? It is lighter, better BattLife.
Only $250, would it be better to get the retina?

Which is more future proof? Better Bang for Buck?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like the rMBP over the MBA, because you get a better CPU, GPU and of course the retina screen.

I will say that you may find the 128GB a bit confining, depending on your usge habits.

mac456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
I like the rMBP over the MBA, because you get a better CPU, GPU and of course the retina screen.

I will say that you may find the 128GB a bit confining, depending on your usge habits.

Thats what I was thinking. Would an external harddrive be okay?

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
In my setup at home I have the MBPr w/128Gb SSD. And that is fine for daily use for all my data.

For data that is too big, like my iTunes library and photos, I have them on a USB connected drive hooked to my Time Machine. I found that I don't need all of that except at home, so it works just fine.

But if you need more storage away from home, then a portable external HD should do just as well.

mac456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for all the help. I ended up with the MBPr and a 2TB passbook. *Also 4yr Geeksquad warranty.

Seeing money was not an issue(in terms of the two choices) I went with the Pro. Through I think the Air would of been enough.

This is actually my first Mac and can't wait to start exploring it.

*Is there a difference btw Applecare and Geeksquad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.