Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese magazine Mac Fan has published some possible schematics depicting the design of the larger-screened "iPad Pro" or "iPad Air Plus" in its January issue, which have been shared by Mac Otakara [Google Translate] along with some information about the upcoming device.

The schematics suggest the tablet will include a 12.2-inch LCD display, and it points towards dimensions of 305.31mm x 220.8mm x 7mm, or 12 inches x 8.7 inches x 0.28 inches, which is in line with previous rumors about the larger tablet. Many rumors have suggested a size of 12.9-inches for the larger tablet, but this is the second report from Mac Otakara that has suggested the device will have a 12.2-inch display.

large-5478a255601b6.jpg
The "iPad Pro" or "iPad Air Plus" as Mac Fan calls it, is said to include a new A9 processor that's an upgrade from the A8X processor in the iPad Air 2, which is a bit of a deviation from previous rumors that have indicated the larger-screened tablet will use the same A8X processor introduced in the iPad Air 2.

Along with an upgraded processor, the tablet is said to have dual top and bottom speakers to allow for improved stereo audio, and design wise, the iPad Pro may look similar to the existing iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini.

Mac Fan also believes that Apple is working on an iPad mini 4, which will be equipped with the same A8X processor found in the iPad Air 2 and a thinner design that more closely resembles Apple's latest iPad Air. With the launch of the iPad mini 4, Mac Fan says both the iPad mini and the iPad mini 3 will be discontinued.

According to the report, both of these tablets may launch between April and June of 2015, which is in line with previous iPad Pro rumors. Earlier this month, reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested the iPad Pro may not enter mass production until the second quarter of 2015, following rumors that Apple had pushed back production to focus its attention on improving iPhone 6 Plus supply.

Article Link: 12.2-Inch 'iPad Air Plus' May Launch Between April and June 2015 With A9 Processor

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
The latest naming sucks. Either sack someone or hire someone. Maybe both.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Between "June and April" in the title makes it sound as if the launch will be June 2015- April 2016, even if the article clarifies...

-=|Mgkwho

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Are they really going to do this with the iPad line again? Releasing two separate products under the exact same product category within months of each other is just a big middle finger to the customer

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What software is it going to run?

And what was the point of the mini 3 again?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Apple's Q3 board meeting:
Larger screen iPhones are a big hit. Smaller iPads are tanking. Here's an idea, let's do bigger iPads. YAY! Great idea folks, let's make it happen! I'll call Samsung, you call Foxconn.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

If its iOS only, its a no more than an iPad + , same as an iPad, same as a Mini, but bigger. Cannot see a real gain for businesses if thats all it is. Many love the Mini and moved to it, I cannot see a shift to a bigger iPad for consumers. If its iOS only, then the 9.7 is more convenient, or they pack an MBA 11

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
between June and April...

This just in - Apple reinvents the calendar!

It works in conjunction with apple maps so you don't get anywhere before your supposed to. Or is that you get to a place your not meant to be at a time your not meant to be there. Its all so confusing but really you don't have to worry because you don't know where your going and you don't have to be there anytime soon because you've already been. Apple...

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
A9 + bigger display isn't gonna cut it. Give full OS X functionality or kthxbye
Okay, bye. Because that will never happen. You'll get iOS apps with desktop-level features eventually (some apps already have them) — and a bigger display will help enable that. But touch UIs and mouse UIs are fundamentally incompatible.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Good news on the iPad mini 4 getting the A8X chip. Cause the iPad mini 3 was a non update in my opinion. Glad I waited.

I still think the ipad pro is gonna need something more than a slightly faster chip & better speakers tho. Especially if its gonna be priced higher. I think it needs to cross over into the laptop/ipad hybrid territory to be really compelling to "pro" users.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Apple may have underestimated how much of an improvement they needed to make in the Mini line for people to buy them. So maybe releasing another Mini so early will be to correct course.

This new iPad needs much better multitasking capabilities than the current iPad or it's going to flop, I expect. The biggest reason I use my Mac instead of iOS devices is just so I can use multiple apps concurrently without having to press the home button so many times. Just give me the ability to have Safari take up half the screen and another app take up the rest and I would probably use my iOS devices 90% of the time.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Looking down the line, "Apple iPad Air Plus 2" doesn't come off the tongue very well.

Just removing one word and calling it the iPad Plus would help with that.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Apple may have underestimated how much of an improvement they needed to make in the Mini line for people to buy them. So maybe releasing another Mini so early will be to correct course.

This new iPad needs much better multitasking capabilities than the current iPad or it's going to flop, I expect. The biggest reason I use my Mac instead of iOS devices is just so I can use multiple apps concurrently without having to press the home button so many times. Just give me the ability to have Safari take up half the screen and another app take up the rest and I would probably use my iOS devices 90% of the time.

That may happen, it probably will, and it will be a new and amazing feature, and it will probably be the only differentiator to a normal iPad. 9.7 owners will miss out, thats great.....

AS mentioned above, adding features too iOS to bridge to OS X will help.

I just hope the iPad Pro doesn't get cool features all to itself

rgomez

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Aguascalientes, México
At some point we are going to end up with a 15" screen tablet. Wouldn't that be great? Imagine having the power of a laptop... in a laptop size tablet!?!?!? Can't wait for that future and to ditch my MBPr for an iPad Plus Plus tablet.

<sarcasm off>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.