Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactaculious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5L176/

372.jpg

This item is in pre-order at the moment, it looks pretty nice and some great features. Anyone have any reviews on this product?

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I took a look at the original version and it looked pretty decent. The back is a little thicker than I would like, but I guess that can't be helped. I pre-ordered this one as I really like the removable back and a keyboard case is necessary for me.

acm1108

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I wrote a review & article about one model of these for the iPad Air 2. It has a known defect with bluetooth and reconnecting/disconnecting.

I ended up getting this for about 35 bucks and this has been great. I rarely have to charge it and I use it for work and note taking everyday.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I wrote a review & article about one model of these for the iPad Air 2. It has a known defect with bluetooth and reconnecting/disconnecting.

I ended up getting this for about 35 bucks and this has been great. I rarely have to charge it and I use it for work and note taking everyday.

How well does that fit? I saw that earlier, but their website says not Air 2 compatible.

madamelulu

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014

Will you link your review? Thanks!

acm1108

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
Will you link your review? Thanks!

I took a look at the original version and it looked pretty decent. The back is a little thicker than I would like, but I guess that can't be helped. I pre-ordered this one as I really like the removable back and a keyboard case is necessary for me.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5L176/

This item is in pre-order at the moment, it looks pretty nice and some great features. Anyone have any reviews on this product?

My review I did when I first got it. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1818662/

Now remember this is my review, and my biggest gripe was it's 1 feature...bluetooth

vajeff

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011

acm1108

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
From what I can tell, this thread is on the Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5L176/, looks like you received the and had issue with the Slim Style Keyboard http://www.belkin.com/us/F5L174-Belkin/p/P-F5L174/ case?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Actually I think you're right. Which could have been my problem. I must say though- I bought both the Anker Keyboard Cover & the Trent Airbender, both cost less then 1 of these Belkin's and they work great. I can have the detachable keyboard if I wanted to or the whole keyboard case in one. Best of both worlds.

madamelulu

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
Im really impressed by the design of this keyboard case, but the price point is unbelievably high. Does anyone else agree? Any thoughts about other brands or even a mix of products from other brands that would give most of the same features for a reduced price?

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
Im really impressed by the design of this keyboard case, but the price point is unbelievably high. Does anyone else agree? Any thoughts about other brands or even a mix of products from other brands that would give most of the same features for a reduced price?

Yep its expensive however IMHO it is worth it. I thinks its over priced but a great device.

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Just bought one for my Dad's iPad Air 1. Yep it's expensive but the Belkin has a combination of features, some unique, that are not seen in other keyboards covers. The 'up to one year' battery life is a standout feature considering most of the competition, like the Logitech Type+ are around 3 months.

2iizlfd.jpg

The back cover/case is easily detached from the main keyboard and can be used on its own. If you have an Apple Smart cover then this can be used to protect the screen when you don't need the Belkin keyboard.

The vertical/portrait orientation is a unique attribute, handy for viewing certain types of documents and typing lists etc. Other features include Auto keyboard on/off, auto iPad sleep/wake, backlit keys, pairing of another device such as iPhone. I also like how they've put grooves near the speakers so that the sound is more directed towards you, making the iPad sound a little better.

28ixb2s.jpg

20rqmmt.jpg

A few niggles: I don't like the small return/enter key, much prefer the typical Logitech layout with slightly bigger enter key.

Most uses of magnets are good, like the 'case closed' magnet and the main docking angles. However the back flap magnet seems very weak in comparision , making the magnetic connection between the flap and back cover less effective. I guess they did this to make the back flap as slim and flat as possible.

x4oepe.jpg

29mn5fd.jpg

When closed the aluminium front cover looks very nice but when used in keyboard mode this becomes the 'bottom' of the keyboard case! I can see this getting scratched quite easily as there only 2 tiny little dimples to provide some protection. I will put some Bluelounge Kicks (sticky rubber strips) on the front to help protect the surface from too many scuffs and scratches.

jutwjp.jpg

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Just ordered the white version. The feature that "sold" me is that it has it's own back case which is easily removable and is compatible with the Apple smart cover. I was originally planning to go with Kayscase and Smart cover, but with this setup I can now add the keyboard when I need it.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I'm a little disappointed in Belkin. I preordered mine and it was shipped two weeks ago. Unfortunately, they used some odd shipping method, where UPS delivered the package to the USPS, and now I am waiting for some odd third-class shipping that I've never heard of. the post office said it would be 3-4 weeks before it gets shipped to my house.

I'm not sure what recourse I have at this point since I got free shipping. The website said 3-7 days, and if I knew it would take over a month I would have paid for faster shipping. I'll probably stop at Best Buy tomorrow and see if they have them in stock (doubtful). Guess I'll have to wait.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
It arrived

So with no warning, my case was delivered today, very excited. This is the first keyboard case I have owned, but I will post my initial impressions.

First, the case looks very sharp. I got the white case to go along with my white iPad Air 2, and it matches perfectly. The keyboard itself is fairly easy to use. The keys are easy to press and are comfortable. They seem a little small, or close together, but I probably just have to get used to them. Despite that, I am able to type with few errors.

The main reason I got this case over the others is for the back case. The case is thin and I think adds just enough bulk to mak the iPad comfortable to hold. Before, they iPad seemed a bit too small. It is also lighter than I expected, and the leather on the back gives it a premium feel.

The magnets used to hold the cover closed, and the ipad to the keyboard are much stronger than I expected. I can lift the iPad with my hand, and it will remain attached to the keyboard. It takes a good pull to remove the ipad and back cover from the keyboard, which is a very good thing in my opinion.

No issue with pairing. I will post more as I use it, but for now, definitely worth getting.

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Agree, I got the white case. It looks like the Apple wireless keyboard. Appears to be well made. I like that I can pair my phone and iPad.

Tacit37

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
This keyboard has amazing features. How does this compare to logitech ultrathin keyboard reponsiveness?

Pat too

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
It is also lighter than I expected, and the leather on the back gives it a premium feel.

It's faux leather by the way, though it looks and feels pretty decent.

So I gave the Belkin keyboard case to my Dad and later asked him how he's getting on with it. "It's not working" he said. What?! But it was working perfectly when I gave it to you! Apparently it loses the Bluetooth connection in use or it doesn't connect at all. The main culprit is the iOS 8.1.2 update installed just recently. I will have to try and reset his network settings and see if that helps.

dawgfang

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2005
Atlanta
I bought one for my new Air 2 at an AT&T store. I was skeptical and was sure I would return it.
Nope, I absolutely love this thing. Perfection in my opinion.

GoBIG

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I ordered this case from Belkin weeks ago!...it finally arrived today! So far I'm loving this keyboard! It took so long to arrive, I was ready to cancel my order! However, I'm glad I didn't. I'm typing on it now, and it feels completely natural. I'm a touch typist, and I must say that the keys don't really feel cramped at all. I also love the fact that I can separate the case from the keyboard, and use it with my Smart Cover, when I don't need a keyboard. This keybard case does everything that I wanted...including being able to use in portrait mode!....two thumbs up!

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I've been thinking about ordering this as I've been using my iPad as a computer replacement. Only thing that has held me back is the price, but since mNy of you seem to like it I may pick one up!

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
I've been thinking about ordering this as I've been using my iPad as a computer replacement. Only thing that has held me back is the price, but since mNy of you seem to like it I may pick one up!

If you want the "feel" of your iPad being a Macbook Air then you might want to look at the Clamcase. It runs about the same price. The reason I got the Belkin is because I could use it without the keyboard attached all the time.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
If you want the "feel" of your iPad being a Macbook Air then you might want to look at the Clamcase. It runs about the same price. The reason I got the Belkin is because I could use it without the keyboard attached all the time.

Is that also by Belkin?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.