Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 23, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Selenolycus
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Selenolycus Send a message via AIM to Selenolycus Send a message via MSN to Selenolycus Send a message via Yahoo to Selenolycus Send a message via Skype™ to Selenolycus
iBook - buy, or wait?

I've wanted an iBook for about two years, and can only now afford one. But, I face a dilemna, should I buy one now, or wait?

I have a few concerns. One is longevity of the device. Spending $1,200 on something, I want it to last a few years. Will I be able to upgrade the OS for a while?

Listening to some, they hinted at avoiding the first generation of Apple products, because of possible quirks and deformities.

I worry that the new iBook (,MacBook, or whatever it'll be called) will have a decreased battery life because of a more powerful processor (one that I do not necessarily need).

I'm going to wait until Tuesday to see if they're going to release a new iBook, but if they aren't... I can't see myself waiting beyond that.

Any input would be appreciated.
Selenolycus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 04:51 PM   #2
calebjohnston
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to calebjohnston Send a message via MSN to calebjohnston
1200 dollars? go with the 12", it's only 1000. The 14" screen is horribly distorted and you get the same old 1024x768 resolution.

I'm not a revision A person either, so I wouldn't recommend waiting out for that - but that's your choice.
calebjohnston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Selenolycus
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Selenolycus Send a message via AIM to Selenolycus Send a message via MSN to Selenolycus Send a message via Yahoo to Selenolycus Send a message via Skype™ to Selenolycus
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebjohnston
1200 dollars? go with the 12", it's only 1000. The 14" screen is horribly distorted and you get the same old 1024x768 resolution.

I'm not a revision A person either, so I wouldn't recommend waiting out for that - but that's your choice.
Definetely go with the 12" then? I guess I can upgrade to a slightly larger HDD and get a bluetooth mouse then.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:21 PM   #4
TaKashMoney
macrumors 6502

i would also recommend the 12" but increase RAM and HD. I bought a BT mouse thinking I'd use it. I almost never do. touch pad is just so darn convenient.
TaKashMoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:29 PM   #5
jadekitty24
macrumors 65816

Since you don't need the extra processor in the MacBook, an iBook would be good for you. Now you just have to figure out if you want a 12" or 14". What exactly do you plan on doing with your computer?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:30 PM   #6
Matt Phoenix
macrumors regular

Actually, I just picked up the 14 inch iBook and really love it. I bought it mostly for the larger hard drive and Superdrive. They have a $125 rebate at Amazon, so you can get it for $1175.
Matt Phoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
aquajet
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenthiel
Definetely go with the 12" then? I guess I can upgrade to a slightly larger HDD and get a bluetooth mouse then.
Don't give too much weight to anybody who says the 14" sucks, because there are plenty of folks who prefer it. If you are able, take a look for yourself and decide.

Having said that, it sounds like you've got a good plan.
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Selenolycus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekitty24
Since you don't need the extra processor in the MacBook, an iBook would be good for you. Now you just have to figure out if you want a 12" or 14". What exactly do you plan on doing with your computer?
It'll mostly be for word processing, basic internet stuff, perhaps a bit of programming, and occasional DVD-watching.

I was going to order online, but then I saw I still had to pay taxes. If I'm going to be paying the same price regardless, I might as well pick it up so I don't have to wait. Added, I get to test each of them out.

Also, a couple of stupid newbie questions:

Will any bluetooth mouse be compatible with the iBook?

Second, are there any good diagram software packages (like Visio) for OS X?

Lastly, does OS X come with GCC, or will I have to install it myself?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:18 PM   #9
yoda13
macrumors 65816

I guess that I have lived the mac only world too long, but what is GCC?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Selenolycus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13
I guess that I have lived the mac only world too long, but what is GCC?
GNU Compiler Collection. Used for, you guessed it, compiling code.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:37 PM   #11
plinden
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Second, are there any good diagram software packages (like Visio) for OS X?
Don't know how good it is, but there's omnigraffle

Quote:
Lastly, does OS X come with GCC, or will I have to install it myself?
It's on the install DVD but isn't installed on new machines. You have to install the developer tools yourself.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:49 PM   #12
jadekitty24
macrumors 65816

The current iBook will do you just fine. Go to an Apple store (if you can) and play with both the iBook models to see which one best fits you. I like the size of the 12" but that is just a matter of preferance.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:54 PM   #13
yoda13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
GNU Compiler Collection. Used for, you guessed it, compiling code.
Thanks for enlightening me.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:56 PM   #14
Selenolycus
macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. Just to make sure it doesn't go unseen, though:

Will any bluetooth mouse be compatible with the iBook?

Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:09 PM   #15
MacSA
macrumors 68000

...aren't you at least going to wait until Tuesday to see what happens? ... I can't imagine new iBooks/MacBooks being that far away.

EDIT: just re-read your post lol, you are waiting until tuesday, weird didnt seem to notice that firsttime i read it lol
MacSA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:15 PM   #16
solvs
macrumors 601

There are always refurbs available at Apple online. Then you can get the extended warranty with the savings. You just won't be able to customize them and the older models don't support Core Image. If you can wait a month or 2, I'm sure the Intel iBooks (or whatever they're called) will be out, and if there are any problems to shipping delays, you could buy the previous gen G4, probably at a discount. Look for other places like PowerMax, SmallDog, and Amazon for deals where you might not have to pay tax too.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 08:35 AM   #17
jblock
macrumors regular

I've been very happy with my iBook G4 12 inch. I upped the RAM to 1GB and would recommend that for whichever iBook you decide on. I wish the screen text was a little bit sharper, since I don't use an external monitor, but it's not that big of a deal.

If you can wait a little while, at least you can see what's coming to replace the iBook. But you can get such good deals now it's a tough decision. I'm not sure how radically different the new version, whatever it's called, will look, but who knows.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:56 AM   #18
speg
macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you and have my fingers crossed for Tuesday. Even if the new iBooks arn't announced Tuesday I think I've justified waiting until April 1st.

I can't justify buying something when I know it's at the end of it's life-cycle.

Quote:
I worry that the new iBook (,MacBook, or whatever it'll be called) will have a decreased battery life because of a more powerful processor (one that I do not necessarily need).
As for this, I don't think you have to worry at all. One of the big factors that Apple switched to intel chips is becasue they use less power.
speg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs