Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Hey everyone,

So I recently got this idea that it would be fun to build a Hackintosh. I really appreciate Apple's hardware, so these thoughts were definitely not the norm for me. However, that was short-lived, as I don't really need a new computer. Well, I then realized that this Dell Vostro 230 that was gifted to me (used) would be just fine at running Mac OSX. (it's a Intel Core 2 Duo @2.93Ghz, w/4GB RAM, & HD Radeon 6450 GPU). Well, this was sort of a challenge since it's a pre-build Dell and obviously not built with specified 'Hackintosh' parts.

Anyway, my brother and I chose Mavericks because I don't like the 'appeal' of Yosemite. I was going to do Mt. Lion, but it's best to stick with Hackintosh installers that are more up-to-date. (credit to my brother for getting everything working; that's why I am saying "we"). So we installed it and most things worked. Although we used Multibeast, some drivers still couldn't be installed. My brother, in a very hack-job way, found and installed ethernet drivers, and then we used Multibeast for audio. Surprisingly enough, internet and audio were the ONLY problems we had after install. The only issue now is that the audio driver isn't so good; it's audible and OKAY, but does not make full use of the speakers' abilities; it's alright though.

I am very glad to ditch Windows 7 on this machine... Mavericks actually runs SO much better on this machine that W7 did; it shows how inefficient Windows is! (finally have clear sets of evidence I can use). I may end up adding a Windows partition though, as my original use for this computer was playing those few Windows-only games I have.

Now here is the part that pertains to PowerPC: So I guess this is technically my second Intel "Mac". I do have my MacBook Pro 2009 (2.26Ghz w/4GB RAM), which is my best Mac, but I have currently been using my PowerMac G5 as my main desktop. I am not sure if I trust this Dell as my main desktop, and I am not really sure what I will use it for yet. It currently is the main computer in our "computer room" though. In spite of all that, there is still an issue about the PowerMac G5. It's a big brute to use as a main computer, esp. when my MacBook Pro is better and uses WAY less electricity...

I really would be sad to move on from PowerPC. I could say I could use it on the side, but realistically I don't think that I would really end up using it on the side if I have these Intel computers. I will have to see what I will do. I may end up putting a monitor on the MacBook Pro and using that as a main computer. So the hard part is just seeing if I will stick with using PowerPC so much. This sentimental thing about PowerPC is pretty tough... I am deep in the PPC 'movement', as I have lately been using PowerPC MAINLY, after having (for the most part) gone to Intel, starting in 2012, when I got my first Intel Mac. It would be a little hypocritical of me to advocate for PPC but use Intel as my main platform. Then again, many don't use PPC mainly and are still in the 'fight'. So, this will take some thinking overall. I am kind of spewing out my thoughts on this as I go! xD

Whelp, here's a screenshot of the devil! (it thinks its a 2008 Mac Pro xD). It really is running very nicely! Gotta trick the thing out though. I already put an Apple sticker on it. Will post a picture of the computer sooner or later. (BTW, I did not make that wallpaper).

EDIT: Ethernet breaks upon waking the computer up from sleep... Restarting the computer causes it to work again; it's some odd sleep issue. UGH--and when I thought it was working nicely! I am trying to fix this...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 7.17.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 7.17.08 PM.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
When I had a Optiplex GX620 I ran SL on it, worked quite nicely without any issues. Even had the App Store! 3GHz Pentium D and read as a 2008 iMac. But that machine is long gone, when I sold it with XP the new owners were giving it as a gift to their daughter so she could write books, glad to know it went to a good place.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
So you hackintoshed an old Dell... Good for you, did it a favor :) although this hardly belongs in the PPC forums :confused:

You really need to get an Intel Mac mini, the 2010 models are still great ;)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Wow, really nice. A C2D PC loves Mac. Right now, I have ML on a Dell Laptop. Works okay, no GFX acceleration, but works fine enough.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have about three or four PCs at work sitting there doing nothing. Unfortunately, NONE of them have the specs to become a Hackintosh. They are all too old, or will involve so much of my time getting this done that my regular work will not be done at all.

Would love to do this though and turn one of those suckers into a Mac Server for our department.

Still waiting on that Mac mini promised for the job a few years ago. :(

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
So you hackintoshed an old Dell... Good for you, did it a favor :) although this hardly belongs in the PPC forums :confused:

You really need to get an Intel Mac mini, the 2010 models are still great ;)

Yeah, I only put it here because it pertained to the fact that I have to make some PPC decisions here... also, this forum is great. However, I should try posting it in the newer Mac forum or something.

----------

I have about three or four PCs at work sitting there doing nothing. Unfortunately, NONE of them have the specs to become a Hackintosh. They are all too old, or will involve so much of my time getting this done that my regular work will not be done at all.

Would love to do this though and turn one of those suckers into a Mac Server for our department.

Still waiting on that Mac mini promised for the job a few years ago. :(

Yeah, it truly is a headache when the computer you have wasn't necessarily built to be a Hackintosh. My brother did some 1337 h4x to get the ethernet drivers on this thing. Otherwise it works nicely and is snappy. Snow Leopard would be okay on older machines, but the older it is, the harder it is to install with the previous tonymacx86 programs. You COULD build a Hackintosh mini. The tonymacx86 site has build guides that list the best hardware to use for Hackintosh computers; they list the Amazon and Newegg links next to them. You can just buy, scroll down, buy, scroll down, etc., and have all the parts you need. The Hackintosh Mini has a small casing and affordable components.

----------

Wow, really nice. A C2D PC loves Mac. Right now, I have ML on a Dell Laptop. Works okay, no GFX acceleration, but works fine enough.

Nice! Was it a headache to get the WiFi drivers? Or did it work first-try with Multibeast? (or whatever you used). I DO have a capable Windows laptop, but it unfortunately only has 1GB of RAM. If it had more, it would be fun to put SL on it. That begin said, SL is probably more difficult to install than newer versions. The newer versions of Multibeast and other tools are better. Anyway, this is my first home experience with Mavericks. I have used newer Apple computers in my home before, such as my dad's Retina Pro for a couple weeks, but I haven't REALLY used anything newer than Snow Leopard.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, it truly is a headache when the computer you have wasn't necessarily built to be a Hackintosh. My brother did some 1337 h4x to get the ethernet drivers on this thing. Otherwise it works nicely and is snappy. Snow Leopard would be okay on older machines, but the older it is, the harder it is to install with the previous tonymacx86 programs. You COULD build a Hackintosh mini. The tonymacx86 site has build guides that list the best hardware to use for Hackintosh computers; they list the Amazon and Newegg links next to them. You can just buy, scroll down, buy, scroll down, etc., and have all the parts you need. The Hackintosh Mini has a small casing and affordable components.
Well, the mini promised to us is actually an Intel mini. Whatever it's going to turn out to be by the time I'm finally authorized to buy it though, I don't know. I'm guessing still a mini. So, it'd end up going about this the other way - if I chose to do that.

But apparently, the new Windows 2012 server was such a big purchase that I still have to wait for the Mini.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Well, the mini promised to us is actually an Intel mini. Whatever it's going to turn out to be by the time I'm finally authorized to buy it though, I don't know. I'm guessing still a mini. So, it'd end up going about this the other way - if I chose to do that.

But apparently, the new Windows 2012 server was such a big purchase that I still have to wait for the Mini.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that would be going into a whole different direction. I wish it was easier to install Mac OSX on older machines that aren't as specific to preferred Hackintosh hardware, but whatcha' gonna do? I definitely wouldn't have been able to get everything on here working without some help.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah, I see. Yeah, that would be going into a whole different direction. I wish it was easier to install Mac OSX on older machines that aren't as specific to preferred Hackintosh hardware, but whatcha' gonna do? I definitely wouldn't have been able to get everything on here working without some help.
Yeah, I hear you. I had PearPC running on an XP machine at one point. Was running Panther and OS9 on it. I stupidly mentioned my proud work over at the Apple forums where a moderator informed me I'd violated the EULA before killing my thread. LOL!

I would love to do this, but I only have access to these machines during work hours and unfortunately my boss expects me to actually do work, so, oh well. :D

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Yeah, I hear you. I had PearPC running on an XP machine at one point. Was running Panther and OS9 on it. I stupidly mentioned my proud work over at the Apple forums where a moderator informed me I'd violated the EULA before killing my thread. LOL!

I would love to do this, but I only have access to these machines during work hours and unfortunately my boss expects me to actually do work, so, oh well. :D

Haha xD

Yeah, I get what you mean. BTW, what is your current main work machine?

----------

Haha I like your skin there! Mac OS face!

:) Yep, I have had it for a long time now. It's a Finder face w/ black hair, as well as a black suit. My cousin and brother designed this for me back in the beta days of Minecraft.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, I get what you mean. BTW, what is your current main work machine?
2011 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro with 3GB ram and a 1TB hard drive.

I'm on Yosemite.

My coworker uses my old 1.8Ghz (Single Processor) G5 with 4GB ram.

She's supposed to get my MP when the boss gets around to getting me a new MP. At that point I get the G5 back to take home.

That's the deal anyway.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
2011 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro with 3GB ram and a 1TB hard drive.

I'm on Yosemite.

My coworker uses my old 1.8Ghz (Single Processor) G5 with 4GB ram.

She's supposed to get my MP when the boss gets around to getting me a new MP. At that point I get the G5 back to take home.

That's the deal anyway.

Well, hey, that's pretty good. I too have a Mac Pro *ahem--Dell* xD (OSX thinks my Dell is a Mac Pro). So when did you get Intel? My first Mac was a brand new, original iMac G5 17" in 2004, and I used PPC until 2012 when my dad handed his 2009 base-model MacBook Pro down to me. From there I only used PPC on the side, but my fondness for my old machines, etc. brought me back. I found myself using PPC more, again. However, now that I have a nicely-running "Mac" desktop with a current OS, that could change. Sentimentality has dragged me back to PPC though. I still cannot describe how nice it is to sit in front of this here 2.0Ghz DP G5, but it's such a power hog for not being as fast as my MacBook Pro. I have to convince myself to make some room for PPC on the side, rather than this continuation of using PPC machines as main desktops. (another thing that stopped me is that I dislike using laptops for an extended period of time).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
My first Hackintosh was a Dell D600 running Tiger. That had a Banias 1.6Ghz processor. It ran so much faster than my Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz despite Apple's propoganda of G4s (and later G5s) blowing Pentiums away in speed.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
My first Hackintosh was a Dell D600 running Tiger. That had a Banias 1.6Ghz processor. It ran so much faster than my Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz despite Apple's propoganda of G4s (and later G5s) blowing Pentiums away in speed.

I can relate, a Inspiron 600m (same computer almost) and put Tiger on it. I was so happy, especially when the wifi worked. I used a 50ft ethernet cable from my dads office to the kitchen table so I could use it online. When I put XP back onto it then went back to Tiger, I could never figure out how to get it working again (this was 4 years ago, I was 12/13).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Mine was more like 8-9 years ago. Things were a lot harder then and we all sort of made it up as we went along, kext by kext. It prompted me to take the plunge into Macbooks although I had invested a fair bit into PPC Macs by that time.

The hardest thing was trying to get past built-in obsolescence such as the lack of Intel support for the Radeon 9xxxx series of gpus. Even ATI stopped at Windows XP for that.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Before I could afford my PowerMac G5 back in 2011 (which cost me a whopping $265 + $60 for warranty from Newegg), my father gave me his Dell Latitude D620. These machines, provided they had the Intel graphics card and a Broadcom wireless card, could run Leopard or Snow Leopard very well. I pulled a wireless card out of a dead HP tablet at school (Nvidia failure) and put it in the Dell and had a 100% working Hackintosh running 10.5.6. I never could get the 10.5.8 update to work though...

The Dell Latitude D610 and D620 in some configurations were some of the best Hackintosh machines for the time. Well, needless to say the D620 died so I purchased a D630 from my father and installed Snow Leopard. Essentially the same procedure, but the graphics were finicky under Leopard. I still have that machine but right now has XP on it, though I intend to reload Lion. Now if only I could get this ThinkPad T400 onto OS X.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, hey, that's pretty good. I too have a Mac Pro *ahem--Dell* xD (OSX thinks my Dell is a Mac Pro). So when did you get Intel? My first Mac was a brand new, original iMac G5 17" in 2004, and I used PPC until 2012 when my dad handed his 2009 base-model MacBook Pro down to me. From there I only used PPC on the side, but my fondness for my old machines, etc. brought me back. I found myself using PPC more, again. However, now that I have a nicely-running "Mac" desktop with a current OS, that could change. Sentimentality has dragged me back to PPC though. I still cannot describe how nice it is to sit in front of this here 2.0Ghz DP G5, but it's such a power hog for not being as fast as my MacBook Pro. I have to convince myself to make some room for PPC on the side, rather than this continuation of using PPC machines as main desktops. (another thing that stopped me is that I dislike using laptops for an extended period of time).
We got the MP some time in May or June 2013. It replaced the G5, which had died. My boss gave me the G5 for free and I replaced the logicboard/CPU combo for $60.

I'd used the G5 for work since February 2005. My coworker was on a 450mhz G4 with Leopard, 1.75GB ram and the same apps as I was. She complained constantly about the Mac being slow, so I brought the G5 back and put her on it. My boss gave me my $60 back and now the G5 is mine when she gets my MP.

Now she just complains about InDesign. :)

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
We got the MP some time in May or June 2013. It replaced the G5, which had died. My boss gave me the G5 for free and I replaced the logicboard/CPU combo for $60.

I'd used the G5 for work since February 2005. My coworker was on a 450mhz G4 with Leopard, 1.75GB ram and the same apps as I was. She complained constantly about the Mac being slow, so I brought the G5 back and put her on it. My boss gave me my $60 back and now the G5 is mine when she gets my MP.

Now she just complains about InDesign. :)

Oh wow, well I get what she was saying when she complained about that being slow! Leopard on a 450Mhz G4? I installed Leopard on a 1Ghz iMac G4 with 1GB of RAM and found it to be pretty slow. (although w/o certain optimizations to make it less heavy). Well, hopefully that G5 finds some use later on.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Good work!

I have a rack mount server with dual quad core Xeons that I've been intending to attempt an OS X install on, although the(crummy) integrated graphics and no real way to put a better graphics card in scare me off. I think that the CPUs are the same part number as used on one configuration of Mac Pro, which I would hope would make the job somewhat easier. There's also the dual(redundant) 750 watt power supplies to make the electric meter spin :rolleyes:

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Good work!

I have a rack mount server with dual quad core Xeons that I've been intending to attempt an OS X install on, although the(crummy) integrated graphics and no real way to put a better graphics card in scare me off. I think that the CPUs are the same part number as used on one configuration of Mac Pro, which I would hope would make the job somewhat easier. There's also the dual(redundant) 750 watt power supplies to make the electric meter spin :rolleyes:

Nice! Getting ethernet working was a challenge, since the drivers for it are not in Multibeast, and my brother had to install them in a hack job way...

And now, a new problem: :( Ethernet "breaks" after I wake the computer up from sleep. I have to restart it for it to work again. It's really annoying and I don't know of a current fix for this. Dang, and when I thought it was all going smoothly.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Is your T400 the one with the Intel GMA4500? If so, I really would not bother as running on framebuffer only is no fun.

It has switchable graphics to the ATI card. That being said, I don't think that one is supported either. Not bad for a freebie laptop though...

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Nice! Getting ethernet working was a challenge, since the drivers for it are not in Multibeast, and my brother had to install them in a hack job way...

And now, a new problem: :( Ethernet "breaks" after I wake the computer up from sleep. I have to restart it for it to work again. It's really annoying and I don't know of a current fix for this. Dang, and when I thought it was all going smoothly.

By 'hack' you mean the way OSX does it - i.e. putting the kexts into /Sys/Lib/Exts and then setting and repairing permissions? :D

You will be lucky to find any answers at Tonymac. He just grabs code from other hackintosh sites, puts a thin wrapper on them, renames them and gives no credit to the actual coders. He also wields the ban hammer to anyone who questions his methods in his forums. Any decent coders at his site have long since departed.

It has switchable graphics to the ATI card. That being said, I don't think that one is supported either. Not bad for a freebie laptop though...

Pity. I have a T61, which runs Lion like a boss. It won't go any further without compromising stability thanks to its X3100 gpu but them's the breaks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Pity. I have a T61, which runs Lion like a boss. It won't go any further without compromising stability thanks to its X3100 gpu but them's the breaks.

I have a T60 here as well which has the ATI Radeon X1400. Unfortunately you cannot get the graphics working without mouse tearing no matter what OS and it is 32 bit CPU so it can't go farther than Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.