Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andtix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
First of all hi everyone, first post here :)

Apple fan and all needs some advice from the experts.

I'm about to sell my old iPhone 5. I want to make sure there's no data left on it. Last time I used it was around the release time of iOS 7 (over a year ago) and I'm pretty sure I cleaned it back them. Problem is, the screen is broken and I can't use the interface at all. The phone is locked in the intro screen with the exchanging languages.

Connecting it to itunes, the apps show they're there. Pictures and video are all gone.

A buyer had asked me if the phone has an iCloud account enabled. It probably does as when I tried to reset it through iTunes it asked me to logout of Find My iPhone.

All this troubles me a bit - does any one have any recommendations? I wouldn't want to share any of my data with other people

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
First of all hi everyone, first post here :)

Apple fan and all needs some advice from the experts.

I'm about to sell my old iPhone 5. I want to make sure there's no data left on it. Last time I used it was around the release time of iOS 7 (over a year ago) and I'm pretty sure I cleaned it back them. Problem is, the screen is broken and I can't use the interface at all. The phone is locked in the intro screen with the exchanging languages.

Connecting it to itunes, the apps show they're there. Pictures and video are all gone.

A buyer had asked me if the phone has an iCloud account enabled. It probably does as when I tried to reset it through iTunes it asked me to logout of Find My iPhone.

All this troubles me a bit - does any one have any recommendations? I wouldn't want to share any of my data with other people

Put it in DFU mode and then do a factory restore through iTunes. Once the phone is restored and turns back on you will be asked to enter you iCloud password and email address in iTunes. Once you enter it the phone is free of any of your data and cleared to be used by someone else.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You can remove the lock by removing the device from findmyiphone on iCloud.com.

Beyond that, as said before, do a DFU restore.

andtix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Thanks for your response everyone.

Any advice on how to switch the phone off to start with? The screen doesn't really work

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Thanks for your response everyone.

Any advice on how to switch the phone off to start with? The screen doesn't really work

Try holding down both the home button and sleep/wake button at the same time until the screen flashes off. Make sure not to hold them too long otherwise it will turn back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.